Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-01-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
Tiffin Owners Club
How did you learn to drive an RV?

The "need driving lessons" thread got me thinking-- it never even dawned on me that you could take driving lessons for these things--

Me, I just started driving. And I'm sure many others never took an RV lesson either.

So, I'm curious-- how did YOU learn to drive an RV?
Private lessons?
A friend or relative take you out?
Just get in and drive and hope for the best?

2000 40' Tiffin Allegro Bus \ 2003 Chaparral 260 SSI
1988 53 x 14 Skipperliner \ 1995 32' Party Cruiser
1984 Goldwing Aspencade \ 1976 Harley Sportster
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #2

Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Started with small trailers and worked my way up. On the job training, I guess.

I did take the RV Driving course at Lazydays a couple years ago, with my wife in an attempt to get her psyched up for driving it. Learned a few new tricks too.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2013 Buick Verano
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Learning to Drive

We bought our RV in another state (Grand Rapids, Michigan). After researching and negotiating the price, we flew out from New Mexico in January last year to pick up our new (used) RV. Papers signed, we were giving a walk-through of our new pride and joy. Then they opened the door and we pulled out into a blizzard. Not only was this the first time we had driven one, but thoughts crossed our mind how thing thing handled in the snow and ice. So we just did it. First night on the road at a Walmart pushing buttons and switches to find out what they did. It was great. Looking back now, I wish there was a place that offered some driving instruction. It took us a long time to get comfortable with backing. I think this Summer we are going to take turns at empty parking lots backing the trailer.
2002 Monaco Windsor 40 PKD
2005 R1200RT (hers) 1987 R80 (his), 1975 R75/6 (his), 1986 R65 (hers)
NMBeemercouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
The first coach that we test drove, many years ago, was a little frightening. The sales rep told me to take the ramp to the interstate. As I went up the ramp, I told him that I had better slow down because the traffic is pretty heavy. He said, "floor it...they will move over!" All lanes were full, but I did manage to ease onto the interstate without getting hit. Now I just take it slow and easy. My top speed is 60 to 65 even though we have 75 here in Arizona.
2008 Itasca Latitude 39W. Cummins ISB 6.7 Turbo 340HP. Allison 6 Speed. Freightliner XCS. Michelin XRV 255/80R 22.5 LRG. SuperSteer MCU. Safe-T-Plus.
azloafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Like many, started small and worked my way up. The first RV was only a 15' TT, then to an 18' and then 30'. Next was a 35' motor home...

You get the idea. I didn't jump right into a 60' lash up, there was kind of natural progression, building on past experiences. I'll admit though, that first drive in the motor home had me fully alert!
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
My husband drove a fire engine and was used to large struff. I have only driven about 15 miles until we came to road contruction and bailed. I don't like the cement barriers on each side of the lanes. I wish I could take some lessons (not my husband telling me what to do) so I would be more comfortable. I know the first few trips we made I was sitting on the edge of the seat and holding my breath some. I have since relaxed as we have traveled more.
2005 Newmar DSDP 4320/ 2008 Jeep Liberty
3 1940 Ford Conv+1 in a basket (under Const.) Newest car 1941 Lincoln Zypher sedan.
Lake Havasu City, AZ
1940 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
Small dings and some larger dents one at a time. That was 5 years ago and I just had them all repaired--like it never happened. And my rig is 36' with a toad. It dawned on me one time in a rest stop when parked next to them that I was as long as many semi trucks!
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #9
Growing up on a farm, hauling grain commercially, and taking lessons from Lazy Days.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:34 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We, too, had the "on the job" training & progressed up in size from TT to 5-r to coach w/toad. My DH makes me drive several times a season so I can at least do it, if not be comfortable at it. I also, bail at construction zones & even from in the co-pilot seat, have a tendency to lean to the left hoping that will help keep my side of the coach from getting near those cement dividers.

I have signed up for a driving seminar at the upcoming Fleetwood MH Assoc Rally this summer. I'm hoping to pick up some tips that will make me less of a white-nuckle driver.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #11
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question Driving lessons ?

well, long time ago, we rented in El Paso a TT behind a VW Variant to go on a long trip to Yellowstone. The Rental company just hooked the TT to the car and told us to make wider turns....
Along the way, we just had to learn the REST. Later with the Motorhome we just kept it slow for the first few yards and learned on the job. We switched even Drivers on the go (in the 70's). Wouldn't do that anymore. I'm to slow to get out of the seat now!!!
The DW wants somebody else (a Driving school) to teach her how to drive the rig....DH has no more pations, just let's go.

TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:04 AM   #12
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I drove a oil home delivery truck years ago. I had two test drives on a 35' and then our new to us 2000 36' Journey. My first trip was getting it home here in PA from LazyDays near Tampa. I was tense most of the way. It will get better after a few more trips.
Scott Pierce
2000 Winnebago Journey 36L
2007 Honda CRV
ScottsJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:31 AM   #13
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Started preparing for my RV'ing days 35 yrs ago, driving a Mack Fire truck as an 18yr old volunteer fireman for Munhall #5. Then, a 5 ton flat bed w/ a 30' trailer delivering refractories to US Steel in my hometown, Pittsburgh.

A 40 MH w/ a toad feels real nice now, but I do agree on the apprehension at constrution lanes w/ jersey walls on each side!

Slow and easy now. No rush to get anywhere.
2007 Adventurer 38T w/
sway & trac bars, Koni FSDs and SafeT+
2006 Jeep Liberty toad
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:53 AM   #14
Took 2 test drives. Picked up the motorhome when it arrived and drove it home in Washington DC evening rush hour traffic from Thurmont, MD to Northern VA around the beltway.

Much prayer was involved.

09 Newmar Ventana 3942 (bunkbeds for the munchkins)
08 Ford Taurus X AWD Toad
69 Road Runner Convertible 528 Hemi 4 Speed
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote