Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #15
Sold our last one to my cousin. They had wanted it for years. That was in 07. They still have it. We then bought our current rig in summer of 12.

KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2014, 06:22 PM   #16
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Looking at your ad on IRV2, I would add how many gallons of fresh water and the black and gray tank size. Otherwise it looks good.

I sold my trailer in early Feb. (2012). Had just put down a deposit on a new 2013 tt at a dealer 2-1/2 hours away. On the way back from the dealer a guy called from Craigslist and said he wanted to look at the trailer. Timing couldn't have been better, wrote it in the contract that if I sold the trailer before I picked up the new one ( 6 weeks to build) I would just pay the difference. They gave me $6500 trade value, ended up selling it for $8500. Was kind of asking 10 something, but the guy offered 8500, my wife said he might as well go for it. The old one was a 2005 Aerolite, the same brand as the new 2013 one. And this was back in Feb of 2012.

Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #17
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I have sold via Craigslist. 3/30/3 rule to creating an ad. 3 second read - a headline that attracts attention 30 second read - a overview 3 minutes read - more in depth info Include lots if pictures inside and out. Include realistic asking price. I prepare an I depth package to email to those who express interest. Factory brochure, lots of pictures, write up of the coaches history. Include all the good and some if the bad for credibility. Anyone who contacts you after reviewing the emailed package is a serious prospect. This saves you from spending time with lookee Lou's.
This is great advice and close to what I do.

RVT and Craigslist have worked very well for me.
Steven and Stephanie
2007 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
2008 Hyundai Elantra
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:59 PM   #18

Same thing happened to us...posted ours on Craigslist sold it within 48 hours to the first respondent. When he said cash sale he meant it....he brought me $24,500 in hundred dollar bills. Next time when they say cash... I will respond Bank Check please.
Brian and Kim VanBuskirk
2008 Damon Tuscany 40 DP
Tow: 20" Trailer with Classic C3 Corvettes
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #19
Freightliner Owners Club
Bought ours on Craig's List and looked at quite a few from Craig's List.
02 Fleetwood Discovery 37U, 330 Cat pulling a 2006 diesel Liberty..or..2011 4dr Wrangler..or..20' Lund Salmon/Halibut Hunter
csrrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:25 AM   #20
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
My first old class C I put a sign on and in Craigslist, sold it to looker 2. He had cash I took it. We told them the flaws but we had fixed all the back bumper damage, cleaned it thoroughly used it a bit but I didn't like the closed in feel of the overhead part. And DD thought she would like the overhead bed then wouldn't get in it so that didn't work. We didn't pay much for it.

Then I bought 2005 Winnebago Sightseer 29 ft. My husband put all the stuff to
make it steer good on it and we put on new tires after I had a blowout. I put almost
20k miles on that one but when it blew me almost across the highway out west I was
about ready to stop driving. I would fight wind in it all the time. Nice motorhome, normally drove well, no issues with components. One time from west Texas had to keep driving north forever to keep a side wind from blowing me all over.

So hubby said I will get you a heavy one. We bought the old 92 American Eagle knowing it needed all the routine maintenance brought up and other things.
I had them both in the driveway and hadn't put a sign up yet. A neighbor who became our insurance agent wanted to buy it. No issue with the price but I told
him I wanted to make one more trip. He said no problem just let us know when you are ready. We went to Vegas and all over, I was worried I would dent or wreck it but
nothing happened. They wrote me a check and I sold it before I was ready too.

We have been lucky. Now this old one may be a problem when the time comes, but we have updated and fixed things, done all the deferred maintenance and now I'm putting all new tires on it. Hubby said if we can't sell it we could always part it out. I would hate to do that. I have added about 6k miles to it and getting ready to add a lot more. We lived near Houston was easy to sell things there, I don't know about here in the Midwest, guess we will find out when we finally try and sell it.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:55 AM   #21
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have sold 5 on Craigslist and bought 5 from there, and on from the 'lemon lot' on base. I make sure to check other prices on similar units then price mine. One unit we sold to an out of state couple that wired us the money 2 weeks in advance them I drove it half way to them free of charge (they bought it sight unseen, and got a great deal).
DDDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #22
My Selling Experience

Just sold a 37' MH. Advertised in IRV2, RacingJunk, Craigslist (in 3 local markets) and RVT. Placed the ad in November with only tire kickers and scammers from Craigslist until January.

Our local RV dealer (a friend) told me that they sell more MH's in January and February than the other 10 months of the year, and he assured me that it would sell in January after the RV shows crank up. He was RIGHT!!

There were 2 big shows nearby the second and third week of January. Saturday afternoon of the 2nd show, my phone lit up and I had 3 serious buyers within 2 days. I sold it to the first guy, and the second guy offered $1,000 more if I'd let him have it. I didn't as I had already made the deal with the first buyer.

All three prospective buyers came from the ad on RVT. I had a good ad with all 24 pictures and paid the $75 for the "Premium" listing.

What I learned is use RVT, schedule your sale in January and February, check your comps and price it realistically. I also had done research on current finance rates and insurance avenues so I could guide the new buyer, which helped grease the deal.
dms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:56 PM   #23
Thor Owners Club
Thanks, I guess I missed the window of opportunity.
MacQude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #24
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Found both of mine used on Craig's list. First one from a private owner, second one that I have now from a dealer.

Sold the first one (class B) on Craig's list same day I placed the ad. Listed it in early spring last year. Had several people call and set up an appointment to see it. First caller got first crack and bought it. He offered me less and I told him I had several other appointments set up already and if it did not sell at my asking price I would consider his. He paid my asking price in cash right then.
2006 Fleetwood Tioga 26Q
Toads: '15 Ford Focus, '10 Harley Softail Custom and '15 Harley Softail Deluxe
Upstate (the other) New York
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by maneddi View Post
Please post your ad here in the classifieds. You may have something I'm interested in.
Mine is listed here since October.
Mark & Carole RVM54
What a long strange trip it's been
2002 Fourwinds 5000 26Q 496 ci. Chevy towing 2004 Jeep Wrangler,2016 Starcraft AR One 18', 2016 F-150
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #26
Country Coach Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to CarlAda
Call the local dealers that do consignments. Ask about their fees and procedures. For me, I used a consignment place to sell my trailer and currently have a motorhome on consignment. It's worth the fee to me so as to not have to deal with scammers, deadbeats, and the gluttony of guys wanting to "take it off your hands" for a deep lowball offer.
CarlAda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #27
Ad in newspaper sold the first one in 2 weeks to first customer. Ad in paper on second one got little interest so we traded it in.

2008 Tundra DC, 5.7L, Airlift 5000 Airbags
2013 Rockwood 8282WS
Signature Untralight Diamond Package
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote