Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #1
Thor Owners Club
How did you sell your RV?

I have my RV up for sale and get mostly replies from scammers and people wanting to help me sell it for a fee. I was just wondering if you have sold your RV what was your successful market, like Craigslist, IRV2, local classifieds...?
Also what time of year seems to be the best to advertise?

MacQude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
The folks that bought ours first noticed the ad here and RVT.com. Listed it 3/15 and sold it 4/10. Had scammers and dealers trying to "help" us sell too.

As far as "when", location is key. We're in the North so spring summer should be ideal. I'm sure others will be along to share their thoughts.

Good luck.

John & Diann
2014 Dutch Star 4364 - 2011 CRV EX-L AWD
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #3
Please post your ad here in the classifieds. You may have something I'm interested in.
2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 3798
maneddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:31 PM   #4
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We had a 2005 tt I put a sign in the window while camping. It was in very good / above condition. Maybe 8 tire kickers over the summer. Also had it listed on Craiglist locally....from mid summer on (2011). This was after we were 99% sure what new tt we wanted next. January of 2012 put down a deposit for a new 2013 tt (had to wait 6 weeks for it to be built) On the way back from the RV dealer after dropping off a deposit, someone called from Craigslist and wanted to see the tt. Ended up selling it for $2000 more than my trade. The timing worked out great. We even knew the guy, my DW graduated with him 25 years before.
[ moderator edit { I should have started with a lower price in the first place to attract people and been a little more firm on the final price.
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #5
We listed ours on RV Trader and EBay. Had several calls but I think the buyer came from. RV Trader.
2014 Phaeton 40KQH
2010 Allegro 35QBA (sold)
superiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We listed a 5th wheel on IRV2, Craigslist, and RVTrader.com. We were overrun with scam offers from Craigslist, finally sold it on RVTrader.com. They have a good site, easy for a potential buyer to navigate.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:00 AM   #7
Thor Owners Club
I did research on all the Class C Rv's that are like mine and I posted my RV for $500 lower than the lowest one for sale. I have many $$$ upgrades that I know I won't see a return on. I took it off the market for winter thinking no one is really looking for an RV this time of year. But with maneddi looking I will post my RV again here at IRV2. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:16 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have sold via Craigslist. 3/30/3 rule to creating an ad.

3 second read - a headline that attracts attention
30 second read - a overview
3 minutes read - more in depth info

Include lots if pictures inside and out. Include realistic asking price.

I prepare an I depth package to email to those who express interest. Factory brochure, lots of pictures, write up of the coaches history. Include all the good and some if the bad for credibility.

Anyone who contacts you after reviewing the emailed package is a serious prospect. This saves you from spending time with lookee Lou's.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:20 AM   #9
Well, from a different perspective, we BOUGHT ours off Craigslist.
1998 Fleetwood Bounder 36s...F53 TAG with 460 v8 55,000 miles. master tow dolly. 2 furkids
burgman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:42 AM   #10
Thor Owners Club
Originally Posted by maneddi View Post
Please post your ad here in the classifieds. You may have something I'm interested in.
Just finished posting my add to IRV2 classifieds in the Class C section. Let me know if this might be something you are interested in.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:39 AM   #11
I sold ours on Craig's list... the dealer offered too little on a trade, I put it on Craig's list for what I felt to be a reasonable price and within a couple hours I got a call, he was over to look at it in an hour or so, he paid cash ... it was listed and sold within 5 hours at much more than the dealer would give me. The only downside was that it happened much sooner than I had anticipated and had to cancel a camping trip as our new MH hadn't arrived yet. I thought that was an OK problem to have!
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:09 AM   #12
I'm a craigslist shopper for sure. I've bought and sold RV's a number of times with craigslist. You will have some folks looking for ridiculous bargains, but real buyers are there.
Be realistic on what your asking price is. Lots of folks think NADA pricing is what they will get and add all kinds of options which are not options at all bringing up the price.
If you have ever tried to trade in an RV, you will quickly see its worth peanuts to dealers. Made that mistake once. Don't plan on ever doing that again.
Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:00 AM   #13
Put it on Ebay, Craig's List, paid to list it on two sites on the internet...scammers, no luck. D/W said why not try the local paper. A couple were in town visiting relatives, saw the ad and bought it.
2008 AC Allegiance 42G, Spartan, ISL
hooverbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #14
Thor Owners Club
So taking everyone's advice here I posted to my local Craigslist, IRV2, and TV Trader and created a blog page for more pictures and information (Fourwinds 31A). So far I have gotten two emails, one from an RVT rep who asked right off the top if I would take less (gotta love that) and another person asking for more pictures.
Time will tell what worked best.

Thanks again for all your input!