Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #15

When we got our Weber Q-220, I decided not to risk hooking into the MH propane system. I didn't want to have a 15' or so rubber hose carrying full cylinder pressure across the gravel and grass to wherever I put the grill.

I'd also heard of people who had hooked up to the RV's regulated side and found that the full motor-home regulator wasn't sensitive enough to control the low flow rate of the grill. One poster said that even on its minimum setting, the grill was still at 600F.

I decided to go with a smaller portable tank that the routine 20-pounder. I bought a "squatty"10-pound tank at a local hardware store that has the same size base ring as a 20-pound tank.. I then bought a base stabilizer at Camping World and bolted it to the floor of a stow-bin. It holds the tank base very securely and I have also put bungee cords through the tank handle to a hook on the wall of the stow-bin. In a major deceleration accident, I don't think the tank would break loose, as it's very close to the front wall of the bin, and the bin doesn't go through to the other side.

I get the cylinder filled to about half-full, so it's not too heavy to lift out. The set-up has worked fine for two seasons and there's no risk of blowing out (or accidentally cutting through) a high-pressure hose, or melting the aluminum Weber.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2013, 03:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey55 View Post
I wonder if he ever got it working after 8 years? Talk about bringing back from the dead...

Some things ya' just can't rush .... hope he didn't buy much hamburger meat.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #17

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Remember that propane is heavier than air so if there is any leakage it will accumuate at the lowest point.
Playtime III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:48 PM   #18

An oldie but goodie - can't beat good info. I do wish people would close the loop though, when they succeed by using the info you gave them.

I just found a black pipe that is run from the street side to the curb side in my old coach - like Christmas, since I was wanting to run something so I can feed off the main LP tank to a BBQ. It has a plug in it so I'll need to figure out a attachment to run from that to a BBQ. Will the $45 hoses (25ft) be strong enough for this?
Bringing her back to her glory.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:20 PM   #19

No choice but to assume you're working on a section of pipe downstream from the regulator, which means the pressure on that line is pretty low. Just a few psi. Most any flexible line will hold pressure like that.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:25 PM   #20

We considered doing this on our 32' Class A but decided against all the risks and hassles. Instead, I bought a "squatty" propane tank (a 10-pounder, IIRC) which has the same base ring as the 20-pounder and installed a retainer ring in one of the passenger-side stowbins.

It was easy to take out to use with the grill and there were no restrictions on where I could use the grill, as it wasn't "tied' to the MH.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
An oldie but goodie - can't beat good info. I do wish people would close the loop though, when they succeed by using the info you gave them.

I just found a black pipe that is run from the street side to the curb side in my old coach - like Christmas, since I was wanting to run something so I can feed off the main LP tank to a BBQ. It has a plug in it so I'll need to figure out a attachment to run from that to a BBQ. Will the $45 hoses (25ft) be strong enough for this?

Rkins,
If you take a look at a recent thread I created, you might find any and all info that you may need for your project. You can read through all the replies but, if you look at the first post, and my pictures, then look at my last one, with pictures, you may find your answer. All in all, it was a simple project. The difference between your project and mine, you're looking to power up a barbeque and we did it for a portable fire pit.
Scott

What's needed for M/H propane supply to portable gas fire pit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
We considered doing this on our 32' Class A but decided against all the risks and hassles. Instead, I bought a "squatty" propane tank (a 10-pounder, IIRC) which has the same base ring as the 20-pounder and installed a retainer ring in one of the passenger-side stowbins.

It was easy to take out to use with the grill and there were no restrictions on where I could use the grill, as it wasn't "tied' to the MH.
May I ask, what "risks and hassles"?
If you look at the thread I linked above, you'll see just what was needed for a project like this. I had a 30' hose built with a quick release end on it. The hose remains attached to the portable fire pit and, when it comes time to set it up, I remove the pit from a compartment, unwind the hose, click it into the quick release fitting I installed and, push a button for ignition and, we have fire.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
No choice but to assume you're working on a section of pipe downstream from the regulator, which means the pressure on that line is pretty low. Just a few psi. Most any flexible line will hold pressure like that.
Not sure where the black iron pipe ties in on the LP tank. I'll take a better look this weekend. If it is a high pressure line, then I think I still saw some hi-pressure hose pretty inexpensive on Amazon.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:14 PM   #23

Thanks Scott, I'll check it out. Who knows, I may be able to use the hose for a fire pit too. Does the fire pit need more pressure?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Rkins,
If you take a look at a recent thread I created, you might find any and all info that you may need for your project. You can read through all the replies but, if you look at the first post, and my pictures, then look at my last one, with pictures, you may find your answer. All in all, it was a simple project. The difference between your project and mine, you're looking to power up a barbeque and we did it for a portable fire pit.
Scott

What's needed for M/H propane supply to portable gas fire pit?

EDIT: Scott, that is good stuff. I need to take a better look at what I have and what I'll need, to accomplish an easy setup. The quick release female is a great idea. Thanks for taking the time to post your system.
Rick
Old 03-07-2017, 09:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Thanks Scott, I'll check it out. Who knows, I may be able to use the hose for a fire pit too. Does the fire pit need more pressure?

EDIT: Scott, that is good stuff. I need to take a better look at what I have and what I'll need, to accomplish an easy setup. The quick release female is a great idea. Thanks for taking the time to post your system.
Rick
Hey Rick,
You're most certainly welcome. Now, here's a bit of information that I'll hand off to you and, you determine what you want to think. The Quick release fittings, both male and female, operate just like air fittings for your air tools, air inflation chucks etc. But, they are seriously different. Due to what I think is the redundency for safety when it comes to propane stuff, the internals of both the female and male of those quick release fittings, are loaded with restrictions. I'm not a licensed propane technician so, I really can't speak as to why they are made like that.

But, here's the deal. When I first set up my system for the fire pit, plugged it all in and fired it up, I had a seriously small flame. Boy, was I disappointed afters spending around $125.00 or so for the components/hoses/fittings you see in the pictures. I thought, "what the heck"? Why is the flame so small? So, I shut it all down and started doing some investigation. Well, one test lead to another and, what I found out was, the quick release fittings were terribly restrictive in the total flow of the gas.

So, I started with the male. Now, on a normal male air fitting for regular air operations, tools etc., you can see right through them, correct? Well, on a propane male fitting, NOT SO!!! There is a bunch of MECHANISM inside that male fitting. Hmmmmm. So, I thought, no wonder I got a small flame. So, out came the drill press. I clamped that thing in the vice and drilled out all the guts. I had to re-install an interior collar that came out first but, that was OK.

Now, the flame is considerably higher than it was. We're pretty happy with it.

But, if I had it to do all over again, I'd simply use regular air fittings, regardless of rules and regulations. I'm tired of being regulated. The connection would be identical. But, there would be waaaaaaaay less restriction in the flow.

So, if you go the "quick release" route, this is just something for you to make a decision on. It sure is nice to yank that fire pit out of a compartment, un-wind the hose and click it in to the hidden fitting below a compartment door and, ZAP, we got FIRE. kind-a like Tom Hanks in "Cast Away"
Scott
Old 03-08-2017, 04:42 AM   #25

I presume that you have sprayed soapy water on the quick disconnect to see if it is leaking. If it is not, why all the restriction in the original coupler, I wonder?
Old 03-08-2017, 05:51 AM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
This page includes a video showing how it all works.

Here is the best price I could find for this kit

Myself I plan to tap the system built into the coach and run black iron pipe to the forward bay just behind the front axle which is where I plan to have my pullout kitchen. In addition to a grill hookup there will be one for an LP lantern.

I may add this system in for the ability to connect an external tank to my coach for longer stays without having to leave just to refill onboard LP tank.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:32 AM   #27

Thanks for the research Jay. I think that there is value in multiple quick connectors (with individual shutoffs) at the end of my pipe so I can run multiple things.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #28

Quote:
I presume that you have sprayed soapy water on the quick disconnect to see if it is leaking. If it is not, why all the restriction in the original coupler, I wonder?
RKins,
If you get a chance, cruise on by your local propane supply or, hose building facility and check out the differences in Propane quick couplers and, air quick couplers. There's a SERIOUS difference in the two. If I would have thought about it, I'd have taken pictures of the restrictive components that came out of at least the male end of that propane quick coupler component. You should have seen the "guts" that came out of that little male end.

THAT'S why there was so much restriction.
Scott