Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2014, 03:22 AM   #1

How do they transport new RV's?

As the 3rd of Dec nears, I grow increasingly more nervous about what I was told was common place...Paid transport service of new RV's. I'm told Winnebago hires drivers to drive your new RV to your dealer. Does anyone out there know of any issues that have arisen from this practice? My concern is the break in period...keeping it under certain mph, varying speeds etc. I can't imagine a hired driver being as diligent or careful as I would be. Besides, I don't know if it's true, but someone told me they also tow their personal car behind your RV so they'd have transportation back home.
Can anyone shed any light on this for me?
Depending on your feedback, I may be forced fly to Iowa to pick up the rv myself and drive it to San Diego. (I'm not sure if that's an option though) Please get back to me right away

22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2014, 03:32 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Damaging an Rv thru neglegance would result in costly RV repairs, possible loss of pre-ordered sale and loosing ones job.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:12 AM   #3

I missed out on purchasing a 2015 Coachmen Leprechaun that was damaged in transit by a hired drive away company. The guy caught the back end of it on another vehicles lift gate that was down in the parking lot.

It took off the door on the large rear storage compartment and some minor trim damage. Could have purchased well below dealer invoice with about 2500 dollars in damage and a easy fix.

Seen it on a Friday afternoon and was going to the bank on Monday. It sold on Sunday!

Many of these companys hire private drivers to move these vehicles from factory to dealer destination. I don't know what would stop you from going to pick yours up personally however.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:16 AM   #4

Most companies do just what you are saying. RV companies hire transport companies. Those transport companies have qualified CDL drivers. Transport company will generally allow driver to tow their person car.

Not sure if Winnebago has a factory pick up program or not. Most likely you will have to pick up coach at a dealer.

Russell
Old 12-01-2014, 07:47 AM   #5

I would think over 95% of ALL heavy duty diesel engines in vehicles, are first driven by "hired" drivers. Those "hired" drivers are professionals, who make their living on the road. They are better drivers than the vast majority of regular drivers, so I would not worry about it.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #6

Have you considered how the chassis gets from, say Freightliner or Spartan, to Winnebago? And how long it sits on their lot? You may want to pick up the chassis and drive it to Winnebago...just in time to put the home on.

And, you might want to determine how long the chassis was sitting at the mfg before they put the home on it...the chassis tend to rust sitting outside on the lot before the powder coating is put on, while waiting to be taken inside for the home addition.

As to issues using paid drivers, they are probably less than issues arriving from unpaid drivers and untrained owners, and all the newbie test drivers. I would car fax a new motorhome.

I just drove a 2014 diesel at a dealer that had white smoke coming out of it, which probably means they didn't do the maintenance based on time, so it probably has been sitting without maintenance at the dealer for at least a year, which could suggest fouling deposits around the rings from not being used.

Forgot the dumb sale man. When last I was at camping world, my salesman started forward in a consigned Newmar, with slides out and levelers down, inside their main lot. Lots of breaking and tearing sounds followed.

So, definitely you should be buying new, straight from the door of the factory and think about the history of the chassis before it got to Winnebago.

Probably keeps getting worse as I've heard...as they say in Buddhist philosophy, whatever you combine immediately starts coming apart and an rv is constantly shaking, rattling, and rolling which helps speed up the process, as well as rain, wind, sun, and dirt.

What I'm most worried about is those early risers in the rv park who I'm guessing will sneak their pit bulls over to their neighbors' rigs to pee on their tag axles...another rust issue.

By the way, I assume you have taken a commercial truck drivers training course so you won't be one of those untrained, unpaid drivers?

Just having fun this morning, a new day with no rain! :-)
Old 12-01-2014, 08:29 AM   #7
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I toured the Winnebago Factory last Summer and right across the highway is a company, contracted by Winnebago, that takes possession of new motorhomes and delivers them to the dealer. That's all they do. They are professional drivers. They have their own yard where the MHs wait for delivery. Of course you can also journey to Forest City and drive it away yourself.

The chassis mostly are delivered by the railroad. Then they sit in Winnebago's lot till they are used. Our coach list the the chassis produced in 02, and the coach added in 03.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:45 AM   #8

my father-in-law was retired and needed extra income. purchased an extended cab ford f250 and delivered trailers all over the mid west to the east coast for a couple of years. No experience required, he was a retires welder who needed work and lived in the truck - literally...he really never made much money they pay by the mile/length of trailer and fuel expense ate most of his profit. if he would of stayed in hotels the profit would of been less.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:57 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What would the alternate mode of delivery be? Air lift? Want to pay that freight bill?
Railroad? No damage there I am sure. Have you ever seen a rail car that wasn't tagged?
Old 12-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut lover View Post
As the 3rd of Dec nears, I grow increasingly more nervous about what I was told was common place...Paid transport service of new RV's. I'm told Winnebago hires drivers to drive your new RV to your dealer. Does anyone out there know of any issues that have arisen from this practice? My concern is the break in period...keeping it under certain mph, varying speeds etc. I can't imagine a hired driver being as diligent or careful as I would be. Besides, I don't know if it's true, but someone told me they also tow their personal car behind your RV so they'd have transportation back home.
Can anyone shed any light on this for me?
Depending on your feedback, I may be forced fly to Iowa to pick up the rv myself and drive it to San Diego. (I'm not sure if that's an option though) Please get back to me right away
Donut Lover:
First off, thanks for your service x2!
Going to Iowa is an option, but I, personally, don't think it is necessary based on personal experience (twice, but I will only give you one example)

I don't think you have to worry about how your motorhome got to your dealer of choice. I didn't google it, but I would imagine somewhere between 90% to 95% of ALL motorhomes are driven to the dealerships all around the country. If you are really concerned then I would suggest Lichtsinn Motors in Forest City, IA. They are a Winnebago dealer about 2 miles from the factory. I have no idea if Winnebago has a factory pick-up program.

As for break-in period, I have read through (almost all) of my manuals for my 2009 Winnebago and don't recall any such instructions from Winnegabo, Freightliner, Allison, or Cummins. I have been lead to believe that break in periods are a thing of the past due to advances in engineering tolerances, construction techniques, lubricants, and filter technology. I will be pooh-poohed by a bunch of my fellow old-geezers out there, but I really don't think a break-in period is of major concern.

I have been a full-timer since 2005. Just my personal experience, I purchased my 2009 motorhome in April of 2010 while passing through Amarillo.
Freightliner build date of June 2008
Winnebago build date of 3 Sep 2008
Amarillo delivery date of 6 Sep 2008.
It was driven the 950 - 1000 miles to the dealer.
I purchased it 19 months later, drove it off the lot to a local RV park, stayed there for several days to see what needed to be done (nothing of significance), then continued on with my full-timing life style. Have I had problems, sure! But I have never lived anywhere but in this motorhome for the last 4 years, 7 months and 54,277 miles. Granted, alot of the credit goes to the Amarillo dealer, Jack Sisemore and his service department for the prep work.

What this diatribe is all about is that generally speaking, the majority of responses will be negative, with horror stories and opinions. Keep in mind, that it is the "nature of the beast" (blogs, forums, etc) that most folks don't post stuff about NOT having problems, it's only the problems/bad experiences that are normally presented.

My purchase, while over 4 years ago, was good, and I think, normal, average experience, and I believe it is the case with the vast majority of RV owners/purchasers. If this were not the case, the RVs would have gone the route of the Yugos and Edsels (showing my age on that one).

Good luck with your upcoming purchase.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Having the coach delivered is a low risk item. Yes the driver may have an accident but so could you. If they have one their insurance covers it, chip in paint or windshield they repair it. Your warranty mileage will start at the dealers so you get free miles.

We picked up our coach at Lichtsinn's, the closest dealer. That is where we got the deal we were happy with.

While we were at Lichtsinn's picking up the coach we observed truck load after truck load of chassis going to the factory. We stayed a few days in the Lichtsinn lot (complementary) while recieving the orientation and had a couple small items repaired.

There were not a lot of frames sitting on the lot at the factory as I am sure none of the chassis manufacturers or Winnebago want to have a lot of stock sitting around. I am sure all manufacturers have figured out that keeping inventory affects their bottom line.

Unless you buy at Forest City I think you can be confident that the coach will arrive at you local dealers as good as if you had driven it yourself.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:24 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
BTW, there is no break-in period for modern engines. Check the fluid levels and go. Cummins engines require service at 6 months and a year with annual service thereafter.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
From the Owner's Manual from Mercedes Benz, for our new Sprinter based (2014 chassis) motorhome: For the service life and economy of your vehicle it is crucial that you break in the engine with due care ...

They go on to recommend driving at varying speeds and engine loads for the first 1,000 miles, do not exceed 3/4 maximum speed in each gear, do not downshift manually to brake. Then after the first 1,000 miles you can increase engine speed gradually.

I was happy we were able to pick up our motorhome at Lichstinn's, with only 27 miles on it, and drive it home "with due care".
Old 12-01-2014, 05:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
From the Owner's Manual from Mercedes Benz, for our new Sprinter based (2014 chassis) motorhome: For the service life and economy of your vehicle it is crucial that you break in the engine with due care ...

They go on to recommend driving at varying speeds and engine loads for the first 1,000 miles, do not exceed 3/4 maximum speed in each gear, do not downshift manually to brake. Then after the first 1,000 miles you can increase engine speed gradually.

I was happy we were able to pick up our motorhome at Lichstinn's, with only 27 miles on it, and drive it home "with due care".
First of all, thank you all for taking the time to respond to what I thought was a legitimate concern, though some of you thought not. You see, I spoke to 3 different sales folks at 3 different sites and got 3 different responses to my concerns. One says the transport company driver tows his/her own car to drive back and sleeps in the unit but doesn't use the facilities other than the furnace. Another says they tow their car but sleep in a hotel along the way. Another said they don't tow a car because, "...there's a very strict break in period where you should never consider towing a vehicle for the first 2k miles" I called Winnebago and they directed me across the street to their contracted transporter. I spoke to the mgr and expressed my concerns about the myriad of answers I received from different sources. His response to me was, "...our drivers are professional...they do tow their own vehicles behind the RV and they drive 'normally' and yes...they sleep in the unit but only use the furnace" I asked if they adhere to the break-in requirements of the unit. His response was, "Winnebago doesn't tell us anything about break-in restrictions/concerns...we just drive the RV to the destination" ...Straight from the horse's mouth!
So, dancogan, I thank you for digging up the FACTS from your manual for me about the break-in period/procedures. I've had two new Mercedes and have a brand new Porsche 911 C4S. and I've had countless other new cars over the years. Every single one of them, without question, had/has a strict break-in procedure to be followed...everyone of them, so when a transport company who's been contracted to drive my new RV across country tells me they don't know nor convey any vehicle break-in marching orders to their drivers, that concerns me. Unfortunately, logistically, I am NOT in a position to transport it myself otherwise, I certainly would and right now, I can't do a d#@N thing about it but accept it and hope all goes well. But...seriously...thank you all for offering different points of view for me to consider (not to mention the opportunity to vent) I said it before, I am really glad I found this forum.

22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs