Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is a great how to for your tanks. It is several pages long and gives several good tips on how to not have problems.

MACERATORS AND OTHER SEWAGE STUFF
phred Tinseth 1999-2002 Reproduction permitted
Web site: phrannie.org

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2011, 06:52 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I've been RV'ing since 1957 and so far I've never had to replace a bowl gasket in ANY RV we've ever had. Even after 10 years with our '88 Type B and now 9 years with our 2002 DSDP. Guess I've been lucky or maybe I've got slippery "stuff"!!
We were baffled by this too Mr_D. Not being the original owner we had no way to know what had happened before we bought it. It started slowly by the water leaking out a little at a time. After a while it would not last for two minutes. None of the parts looked worn but I must say that I did not study them for long before tossing them in the trash bin.

We filter our water at the park faucet so I wonder it the previous owner did not and something in their supply, like sand or some minerals cause wear on the gaskets. Oh well, works now and it wasn't near as bad a job as I had imagined.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #31

OK. I didn't know about the Dawn/Calgon treatment. How much of each do you use per gallon of holding tank capacity?

Don
Old 05-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Our sensors are external to the tank and we have built in flusher. I use the flusher with each dump and when we leave to go south for the winter after shorter trips in the summer, I put the Dawn/Calgon treatment in for the first dump. Mainly for the grey tank but it don't hurt the black either. First stop is about 250 mile drive and I fill both thanks with water then dump. I can not flush the grey and do not leave the valve open as I figure it works like the black tank in that it sucks the junk out but I want to make sure it is as clean as possible at least once a year in case the wife has to dig in to it to fix a problem. Oh, I guess that would be me not her. Yes I maybe wasting money but I don't smoke so it is a lot cheaper to waste it that way.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:10 AM   #33

I don't think you are waisting money at all. It is personal preference and I think you are right on track. I apppreciate all the advice from everyone on the tanks and keeping them clean and functional. Lot's of wisdom in this forum and I appreciate it. :O)
Old 05-24-2011, 12:35 AM   #34

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
DW and I eat a bowl of Fiber One cereal before going to bed each night, has made a huge difference
Now, that's what I would call getting a real "head start" on keeping your holding tank clean!!!
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:35 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
OK. I didn't know about the Dawn/Calgon treatment. How much of each do you use per gallon of holding tank capacity?

Don
for my 40 gallon black tank, i use 1 capful of liquid calgon from wally world and 1 capful of liquid detergent, not necessarily dawn. if the weather is hot, i also use 1 packet of tst orange treatment to control odors. we full-time and i dump about every 7-10 days. this keeps my antiquated level indicating system working well.
prior to dumping my gray tank, my dw adds 12-16 oz. of bleach to 25-40 gallons water. this flushes and sanitizes my stinky slinky so it doesn't smell so bad.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
I tell everyone that they can't poop in the toilet - use the campground facilities instead!!!
Then we don't have to clean the black tank!!!
Old 05-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post

Don
I don't think it has to be too exact. There's several "recipes" out there, but I just dump about 1/2 cup of each, fill with water and drive to the next site.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #38

If you think about what is really going on inside of a black tank with "crud" stick to the walls, you have to ask yourself several questions. Will spraying a chemical or soap on these hardened particles remove them best, will spraying a water jet from 2 or 3 nozzles clean it all or will the water just channel to the drain, or will having ice banging around in the tank and hitting these hard particles loosen them the most. We have come down on the side of the ice being the most effective for cleaning the tank. The chemicals and spray may be effective for keeping a cleaned tank clean. Remember most tanks are very wide and very shallow. Think about it. Now get your mind out of the sewer.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My curiosity is getting the best of me. In all of my years using a Motorhome, I have never had issues with holding tanks. When you drive 300 miles a day, it's got to be one tuff turd to not dissolve with all that sloshing around. Stuff hanging on the wall and little piles of dung hanging on like morter. I'm thinking a change of diet is in order. Even a cement mixer can dump it's load and empty it's barrel. I think Camping World need to put a Proctologist on staff and start stocking a heavy duty stool softener !!!!
Just a thought !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:16 AM   #40

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Been RV'ing since 1957, that was before many RV's had holding tanks, in fact not many had toilets.
Never had any problems with tanks plugging up, but I do wait till they are full or I add enough water to get them that full, and I've never used the Calgon treatment although my parents did in their ForeTravel.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:48 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
My curiosity is getting the best of me. In all of my years using a Motorhome, I have never had issues with holding tanks. When you drive 300 miles a day, it's got to be one tuff turd to not dissolve with all that sloshing around. Stuff hanging on the wall and little piles of dung hanging on like morter. I'm thinking a change of diet is in order. Even a cement mixer can dump it's load and empty it's barrel. I think Camping World need to put a Proctologist on staff and start stocking a heavy duty stool softener !!!!
Just a thought !
lol!!! But I'm afraid to let CW touch my coach . . . let alone . . . well, you get the idea. Having a hard time erasing the mental image, but I need to.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:15 AM   #42

LOL you know it is amazing how one practical question can turn into a comedy show. Anyhow what you are saying sounds pretty practical. LOL Thanks for the advice.