Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2011, 07:32 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
how do you clean your black tank ?

ok ive been dumping my black tank as per outing ! i have tried the back flusher also ! yesterday i decided to run a hose down the toilet and fill the tank let it sit over night then i pulled it this morning wow ! i was shocked at what was still in there ! now im doing it again ! here i thought i was getting it all before but im definitely was wrong ! what do you do ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2011, 07:50 AM   #2

I've read here that the trick is to use Dawn dish washing liquid and ice cubes then take a drive. Dawn to loosen it all up and ice to knock the rest loose!!
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
edj

Why the concern with having a 'squeaky' clean black tank? As long as it is emptied after it is at least half full (or more) and then flushed for a short time, there will be no buildup. Those who put soap and various other cleaning chemicals in the tank are just wasting their money and time. The first time one sits on the toilet and flushes, it is cruddy again....
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:20 AM   #4

I only clean mine out well when I know it's being parked for a while or before I put it away for winter. I have a place to dump into the sewer system at home . I use a garden hose and Simple Green. Open the flush valve and hose the tank from the toilet side. Water is coming out clean.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I'm a fulltimer and usually stay in one spot for a month or more so when it comes time to move I'll put a 2 or 3 oz. of Dawn and the same amount of Calgon water softener in both black and gray water tank with 5 gallons of water and dump when I get to my next destination. It's probable not needed in the black tank since I have a fresh water flush system in that tank but the gray water tank seems to accumulate more sediment and grease and the combination of the Dawn and water softener gets rid of it and eliminates odor. I also close the gray water tank valve about ever other time the tank is emptied to further prevent build up since that tank has no flush system. The only time I get odor from the drains is when the gray tank valve is open and water is running in the sink.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I always fill my black tank to full after each trip. I let it sit for 24 hrs. Dump and then put in about 8 gals and dump. I repeat 8 gals one more time. The reason I do this, is because it cleans the probes and keeps the tank from having a foul smell.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:15 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
+1 for RJay. The Calgon is an amazing surfactant and the Dawn really does cut grease.

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
One trick I've used is after emptying & flushing the holding tank, pour a bag if ice down the toilet. The ice slides around in the tank as you travel to your next destination & loosens any sediment that may be sticking to the tank walls & sides. Once the ice melts, of course, the water pours out with the next dump.
yoopertim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopertim View Post
One trick I've used is after emptying & flushing the holding tank, pour a bag if ice down the toilet. The ice slides around in the tank as you travel to your next destination & loosens any sediment that may be sticking to the tank walls & sides. Once the ice melts, of course, the water pours out with the next dump.
Isn't that how they make ICBM's?

(Sorry guys, I saw that in a post one time and couldn't help myself. I totally plagiarized it)
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #10

I've been in my RV for 8 years and have never cleaned my black tank. I just do not understand the need.

However, those that do find the need, you are doing it just right.

Edward J. Sommers
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I always fill my black tank to full after each trip. I let it sit for 24 hrs. Dump and then put in about 8 gals and dump. I repeat 8 gals one more time. The reason I do this, is because it cleans the probes and keeps the tank from having a foul smell.
this will be the way i do it too !
Old 05-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I only dump every 4 or 5 days, and then only dump when I arrive at my next stop. That way everything is dessolved and there is no buildup. Never had a problem.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I clean mine--(pick your method) to keep the senders clean that tell the level in the tank, If I do not clean they get clogged and register full all the time. My vote would be for cleaning, it really waste no time because you do it when you travel any way and the cost is minimal.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:17 PM   #14

We've started using about 1/4 cup of spic-n-span and filling the tank about a quarter full when driving to our next destination. This keeps the tank clean enough to register correct levels for for a while. I read that you should not use any cleaner that is anti-bacterial because the bacteria is what breaks down the waste.
bilcol81 is offline   Reply With Quote