Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2014, 06:31 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
How DO you get that engine out?

Not sure if I've got this idea of photos down, but for anyone interested, this is how we got the 8.3 cummins and allison out and back in. This happens to be the install, hence the new paint.
[/URL][/IMG]

courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
and here's the damage that started everything

Old 05-20-2014, 06:41 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Here is the old engine hanging in my shop next to the new one. I found a good used engine and went through it, then pulled a few pieces off what was left of the old. It was easier to work on them side by side since the new engine came out of a truck and I had to change quite a bit.

I struggled with how to hold up the engine and transmission and came up with this. I blocked them into place and then pulled the bus back over them with the fork lift. I only had to come up a few inches to get the mounts to fit.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #4

Waiting for the pics of the successful completion so that I don't jinx you with a too early congratulations on a job well done.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #5

Old 05-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #6

You've done this before. I doubt one in a thousand would undertake such a project.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
You've done this before. I doubt one in a thousand would undertake such a project.
Actually, I hadn't tried it before. I've got lots of experience with smaller stuff, but this was a first with something of this size. It was almost born by necessity. My kid borrowed the 93 monaco and ran it out of water on I 90 near Butte Montana and coasted to a stop. (I live near Seattle). I had a local shop do a compression test and it was essentially down to almost zero in several cylinders. A friend and I went over and spent about 3 days pulling the head and the worst pistons in a parking lot and limped it home. I got it here and started to take it apart again and realized that with a melted piston and aluminum throughout the head, turbo and everyplace elsef it was going to easier to put in a newer engine then rebuild what i have. Looked all over for one of these old 8.3 mechanical injection engines and found one in a truck in California. Bought the engine for 4k and had it shipped. When it got here I realized that he had just cut it out of the truck and had every part still on it..all the pumps, plumbing etc. Lucky deal. I pulled the head and pan and realized that the engine was perfect.
I was originally going to lift the bus up enough to drop the engine down and slide it out the back, but that made me really nervous. I figured that when I pulled the bumper I only had two small places where I would have to cut fiberglass in order to be able to pull the engine strait back, so that's what I did.

When it was all said and done, I'd have been way ahead to have the shop in Butte simply get the engine and swap it in. They wanted 5k for a local engine and another 5k to do the swap. I got irritated and decided to do it myself. At the end of the day, I had probably about the same into it, plus about a zillion hours. The biggest problem I had was getting and keeping all of the air out of the fuel system. jeesh...what a pain.

But at least I replaced everything that could wear and did the job right. Its been up and running for a while and I probably have about 1000 miles on it. Now its up for sale since we picked up the new to us country coach.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #8

Reading your last post lets me know that you are done and its working so Congratulations on a Job well done!

Mike
Old 05-21-2014, 09:27 PM   #9

Congrats on an excellent job. Hope you find a good buyer soon.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:21 PM   #10

Sounds like you should replace your son at the same time as new replacement engine......

Seriously, looks like you did good and it is a lot of work. Congrats on a finished job.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:31 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Well done. Not many will attempt something of this scale, fewer will finish.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:24 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
thanks for the comments. I probably shouldn't have thrown my kid under the bus. He and 5 other folks were on spring break from law school in Missoula, on the way back from climbing down in New Mexico. He was asleep and the knucklehead driving didn't look at the temp guage. Broke a hose and drained ALL the water..... All I know is I don't want HIM as my lawyer. That plus they don't get to borrow the new country coach.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:47 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtjester View Post
thanks for the comments. I probably shouldn't have thrown my kid under the bus. He and 5 other folks were on spring break from law school in Missoula, on the way back from climbing down in New Mexico. He was asleep and the knucklehead driving didn't look at the temp guage. Broke a hose and drained ALL the water..... All I know is I don't want HIM as my lawyer. That plus they don't get to borrow the new country coach.
A much better response than I would have made. My kid would be held responsible. Not lending the new coach is a great idea.

Sometimes you have to operate on the theory that if you lend something to family you should not expect it back.