Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post

For those not yet retired, how do you justify your motorhome MPG? .

I don't!!!

Happy RV'ing!!! See y'all down the road!!!
CRICKEYDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2014, 05:43 PM   #184

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Its easy. In the previous years when we spent a week at a lake in central Arkansas we would pull our boat using our Yukon. The gas mileage on the Yukon was around 10MPG.

We got around 7.5MPG pulling our boat with the motorhome plus we saved money on renting a cabin verse paying the camping fees.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #185

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRICKEYDOG View Post
I don't!!!

Happy RV'ing!!! See y'all down the road!!!
LIKEWISE!!!!
Old 08-07-2014, 06:22 PM   #186

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
The fact that I am still alive and, not being short of breath and having the chest pains or the heart attack I had, when we were out one year with several friends at the Alabama/Coushatta Campground east of Livingston,Texas with our fifth wheel means I don't have to justify it.

Jerry
Old 08-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Old School, how many of you remember Humphrey???
I remember Humphrey, he wuz Joe's buddy.
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:42 PM   #188

Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't have to. I EARNED it.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #189
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
Don't have to. I EARNED it.
x2 exactly
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:23 PM   #190

My wife and I work for the school and since our 4 kids were babies still crawling we left for the road as soon as school let out till a week before it started, we never spent any summers at home and still dont. We been all over this country with them. Now we are down to 2 kids at home and in 5 years to be retired. How else can you be on the road for 8 weeks for under $4000 thats gas lodging food included and see so much. A lot dont cost much if you like hikes and nature.
With the kids we towed trailers that accomaded 4 bunks. Now we just bought a used low milage unit off a senior couple who couldnt drive anymore and didnt go far when they did. Its on E450 thats really for my wife and I to retire with. Perfect for 2 with 2 guests sharing pull out couch. Its garaged at our home looks like brand new dispite being 10 years old.
Now as far as justify cost it was easy. Where else can you be on the road with 6 people for 8 weeks other then in an RV. We just returned from 3000 mile trip.
Our Gulfsteam BT Cruiser got between 10.5 and 11.5 towing ford esacape, over 12 not towing car keeping it at 55 mpg all the time. I dont think thats a lot per gallon and we stay mostly in state parks for 25 per night. I still think its a steal plus we dont owe any money on unit. So retirement will be easier to manage as we will be 6 months a year on the road.I POSTED PICS OF UNIT AND REHAB COSMETIC WORK I DID TO GET HER BACK TO NEW.https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=bef700a26f
Finelinevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #191

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
if you need to justify a MH then maybe you don't need or want 1. like said before its a Hobby. have fun & live life & see things beside whats on the boob tube
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:45 PM   #192

We no longer can and can't afford 8 mpg at $4 a gallon. Add to that the increase in CG fees (it's hard to find any under $40 a night). With regret, we're out of the hobby. After we've used the MH as supplementary bedroom accommodations for a big family get-together over the Labor Day weekend (our 50th wedding anniversary), it's on the market.

[Moderator Edit]

We're out in the weeds a bit, very northern part of the western Washington mainland (though we're actually on the only one of the San Juans you can drive to!). As the crow flies, the border with Canada is about 50 miles north and Seattle is abou 85 miles south.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:36 AM   #193

Winnebago Owners Club
I guess we have posted in this thread already but I will post my thoughts again today. We are just about ready (packed) for our month long trip from Va to Upstate NY and a few point between.
Im looking at some of the points people are talking about but as in any vacation any family takes its not the FUEL cost that make the trip COSTLY, its lodging food entertainment
We travel each Quarter of they year for work (flying) from Va to San Diego, Miami, Seattle, Tucson,(this past trips) for 5 day trips. And different cities each time. Our Air/hotels are paid for as well as most meals. But I will tell you that the meals we do pay for add up fast.
Our up coming trip for the 30 days will most likely cost us
$500 gas=1000 miles drive RV/car
$1500 food= 50 per day two people (this looks high but we eat well I guess)
$350 camping fees= Thousand Trails membership past 20 year and a week at our best KOA .I did add in the membership / 365 days!!
Our trips cost us about $2100 for 30 =$70 per day
Our trips for work cost (company) over 2100 each Q for us both two attend a 5 night meeting.
Last issue, we are booked to fly (company paid) for my wife and I to attend a meeting in OH YA....Maui...air is 1250 each , room is 275 per night, all this cost and we sit in meetings from 8am until 4pm... oh well it is Hawaii our 3rd trip..in 7 years.
MY WIFE WILL NEVER SEE THIS.... SO
I would give up a steak cooked out on the grill for more gas money to relax with my WIFE away from WORK and our GROWN kids
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:01 AM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
These days, I ride a bus to/from work in downtown. This saves as follows per year: (2011 Subaru Outback)

8,200 commuting miles
310 gallons of fuel @ $4/gallon
2 extra oil changes @ $35 each
$300 insurance savings due to reduced mileage policy
$1440 in parking
= $3050 per year

Above doesn't even include depreciation, wear & tear and other maintenance.

That's $3,050 in real cash to pay for for fuel and travel costs for the RV "hobby". We all know that it doesn't offset the overall cost, but it is a start. In this case, all just for being willing to ride a bus for 20 minutes longer than driving each way. I guess I see that as worth it for the vacation payback and I can do my email on the bus anyway, getting back part of the commute time lost and less stress.

For those not yet retired, how do you justify your motorhome MPG? No snide comments please. .
Its a state of mind. People save all year for a weeks vacation somewhere probally spend 3000 on it for a family. We found that money in a rv gets us 4 to 5 weeks on the road. We cook our own food, stay in state parks for 25 a nite. 3000 mile trip averages 1000 in Gas. Units paid for. Freedom to make the trip and see things is no bad for the time with the family or just my wife when we take romantic couple days after the long summer trip here and there leaving grandma to watch the teens. The memories our family always talks about is our summer trips which lasted 5 to 6 weeks some summers not a week. If not for the Rv we could not do that. For us we are blessed we have the time most do not. I always tell people if you use it a week or 2 a year cost wise its not worth it buying a unit big new unit. But if you like the outdoors its the only way to travel. So even the maintence which I perform myself and garage the unit at my home makes it affordable in every way.
Finelinevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:07 AM   #195

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another thought on justifying the mileage

I just got off a week at work that was very difficult. I work in a heart testing unit at a high trauma hospital. Very high stress job like many others.

I am stuck in a room with very sick patients. You cannot (at least I can't) not be touched by their illness and pain and their deaths.

You do not get outside, often miss lunch and there is no such thing as a break. It is constant, it is unending, and often hard to deal with. Some of these patients are so amazing with all they go through. But it hurts often.

When I retire we will buy a MH and hit the road. I do NOT want to see another hospital room. I want to see trees and grass, mountains, and waterfalls. Rivers and prairies and sand and cacti. With retirement so close in sight I struggle daily with the need to travel.

No longer will I be locked in a room with illness and disease, No longer will I have to deal with stupid regulations that take my time away from the patient.

I will breath fresh air and see the blue sky and stars. I can walk outside when the mood suits me and take a deep breath and smile.

It is worth the cost of the fuel to me in more ways than I can state.

I wish you all good health and happiness. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:11 AM   #196

Solo Rvers Club
Lynne, You are an angel to many. Enjoy your adventures. May God Bless you and thank you for performing such an unenviable job.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome