Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2014, 04:30 PM   #113

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post
Justification not needed since we worked to earn the money and now we spend it any manner we choose. Plus we get to have out pet with us. Priceless!
So true all around. Lol, justify? Imagine justifying anything you enjoy other than enjoying it.

So far we've heard from people with barges, boats, planes and those who get 18mpg in their mini motor home. Is everyone happy? Good. Me too!

Lets enjoy this beautiful summer, maybe even meet up and spend the evening around a fire laughing at stories we tell. That's my own justification. I saved my whole life for this time that I have now.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2014, 08:09 AM   #114

Winnebago Owners Club
We am here, we want to be there, WE go.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:50 PM   #115

We're not retired and yet we still find the time to spend more than 60 days each year using our RV. In that time we spend time together around a campfire, or reading, relaxing, and just generally enjoying life. Those things make the RV worth every cent.
boiledfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #116

"Daddy do we have to go home yet?" Words of 6 year old.. Enough justification for me!
Old 07-10-2014, 06:46 PM   #117

I bought our 2002 Fleetwood Revolution for a place to live while my wife had Liver transplant. But also a way for her to travel. Without her home on wheels she can not travel more then a 2 hour drive and is even harder for her.
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:48 PM   #118

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
These days, I ride a bus to/from work in downtown. This saves as follows per year: (2011 Subaru Outback)

8,200 commuting miles
310 gallons of fuel @ $4/gallon
2 extra oil changes @ $35 each
$300 insurance savings due to reduced mileage policy
$1440 in parking
= $3050 per year

Above doesn't even include depreciation, wear & tear and other maintenance.

That's $3,050 in real cash to pay for for fuel and travel costs for the RV "hobby". We all know that it doesn't offset the overall cost, but it is a start. In this case, all just for being willing to ride a bus for 20 minutes longer than driving each way. I guess I see that as worth it for the vacation payback and I can do my email on the bus anyway, getting back part of the commute time lost and less stress.

For those not yet retired, how do you justify your motorhome MPG? No snide comments please. .
Just think of how much money you could save for the RV by riding a bicycle.
No oil changes, no gas, no insurance.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:21 PM   #119

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I purchased my first motorhome in 2001 after starting with a pop up in 1991. My justification was solely to have an activity that my children would want to be with us. I am on my 2nd motorhome and my adult children (both in law school) still want to travel with us. We tailgate, go on vacations, visit family and I have never worried about the expense.

I just returned from a 4 day trip 200 miles away with my Parents (both in their 80's) I only get about 5.5 mpg. They slept on a queen size bed with me in a king size bed and we were able to have family over to visit each evening. We had cocktails and dinner and would have never been able to do this in a motel/hotel.

I spent less than $300 for fuel and $90 for campground fee, it would have cost me a minimum of $150 per night per room in this area of town, so I would have spent $900 for 2 rooms for 3 nights plus $110 for fuel in my vehicle versus $390. Yes I have other costs, but I wouldn't have been able to BBQ, have dinner with family, stay with my folks, make the brand of coffee they prefer each morning, have cold beer, wine or cocktails in my room etc.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:06 PM   #120

No reason to complain

After having 3 trailers and now my motorhome I have yet to complain about fuel economy, in fact I think it's great considering the weight and size of it compared to the mileage our autos get.
If I was not into rving I would be spending money elseware.
Was into boating for 20 years and that was hard to justify for the use we got out of those money pits. Floors me how many boats barely leave the slips. Nothing more than cramped floating cottages imho.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:50 PM   #121

I don't justify it I just enjoy it.
Tireman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:45 PM   #122

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just another thought,

Two and a half years ago I was broad sided while sitting at a stop sign. It almost broke my neck and I now have a metal plate, allograph, and four screws in my neck. They moved my esophagus over to operate and I am lucky to be walking although I often have trouble swallowing. In three years I will be full timing when I retire. I can still walk and I am saving for fuel now while still working. Things like this change your perspective on what is really important. Just go have fun because you never know when something will happen and change your outlook or chances. I bought a Prius after the accident and plan to tow it. Might even out that gas cost a bit.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #123

I justify it by remembering the reason we spent the money to purchase a Motor Home was for our enjoyment in our "golden years. If fuel mileage was a concern, other than to monitor engine performance, we would have opted for a pop-up and a small pickup.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregOk80 View Post
I bought our 2002 Fleetwood Revolution for a place to live while my wife had Liver transplant. But also a way for her to travel. Without her home on wheels she can not travel more then a 2 hour drive and is even harder for her.
Very similar for us. The admiral had a series of operations, and the resulting meds play havoc with her. She has to move around regularly to keep legs from falling asleep, and when we took the car, her plumbing didn't start to act up until we were abeam of or just past the Rest Stop sign on the highway.

Having a motorhome allows her the freedom to get up and move around, and the pleasure of being able to visit the girl's room any time she wants. Now we can travel without stress.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:21 PM   #125

Don't even try to justify the MPG or the cost of RV'ing versus other forms of travel. It is not possible to come out ahead based on how I/We choose to go.

Eating my own food, sleeping in my bed, not living out of a suitcase, giving me something to always be futzing with is worth the 8 mpg. It is an expensive hobby but not as much as my monthly golf tab.

We spend most of our RV time in a local state park some 22 miles from home, usually 5 days at a time. So $20 round trip is not so bad. I do go "Ouch" when we take a couple of week trip but those are not that often.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:11 AM   #126

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rick and Sandy, I agree, certain medical conditions make it difficult to sit for long periods of time. Having a MH would definitely help with that. I look forward to not having so much property to take care of, a different view often, and being able to see family and friends that live in other states for more than a couple of days because I have to be back to work on Monday. I wish my best to you and your DW. Has she tried warm packs on her legs when cramping to help with the blood flow?
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome