Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2014, 02:30 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How do you make an offer that's accepted?

So we are looking to buy and now have seen 3 rigs yesterday that any would do. How do ya go about making an offer that will be accepted? Don't want to over pay but don't want to insult either. Made one offer already and was shot down. Too low but we didn't think so based on the age and work needed. We have looked into the make, models and specs, and floor plans. Checked NADA too. All units are with a dealer and their prices are just either above NADA Avg or between the low and avg. Told the salesman we have our financing in place so its a matter of a phone call and fax. We have decided where to start an offer and what our top is for them. The last dealer said he would move the rig at their price and it's still sitting there 3 weeks later. I have thought about calling and saying you still have it and my offer still stands... would like to buy one of these 4 this weekend after a test drive. Any advise please....

Thanks
Shaz
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2014, 03:53 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Always buy when you don't "need " to and that will allow for clear judgment and a sensible offer that suits your budget and not theirs. If you really "want" something then most likely you'll end up paying more that you might otherwise. The power you have is the amount of research you can do with relation to the comps for that particular model and adding or subtracting for condition.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:10 AM   #3

Ask them what their bottom line is. After giving you that price then ask about other things. Does that include all new batteries? Does that include ....? The reason is their bottom line is not their bottom line.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:15 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
I agree with Don....Its your money and clearly you did your research and made, what you thought, was a fair offer. If its not accepted, well that's the sellers prerogative. If , given your research, you feel that the dealership isn't pricing their units competitively, move one. Don't became emotionally committed to a unit, always be able to walk away from it no matter how great it looks. Again, its your money. Nothing worse than buyers remorse.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandshaz View Post
So we are looking to buy and now have seen 3 rigs yesterday that any would do. How do ya go about making an offer that will be accepted? Don't want to over pay but don't want to insult either. Made one offer already and was shot down. Too low but we didn't think so based on the age and work needed. We have looked into the make, models and specs, and floor plans. Checked NADA too. All units are with a dealer and their prices are just either above NADA Avg or between the low and avg. Told the salesman we have our financing in place so its a matter of a phone call and fax. We have decided where to start an offer and what our top is for them. The last dealer said he would move the rig at their price and it's still sitting there 3 weeks later. I have thought about calling and saying you still have it and my offer still stands... would like to buy one of these 4 this weekend after a test drive. Any advise please....

Thanks
Shaz
Don't ever worry about insulting someone with a low bid, all they have to do is say no, or counter offer. You don't need any advice, you already have the right answer: ". . .I have thought about calling and saying you still have it and my offer still stands"
Do just that and see what happens.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Don't want to over pay but don't want to insult either.

Thanks
Shaz
It's not possible to insult a dealer ... it's just a business transaction.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:23 AM   #7

yea you cant insult a dealer with a low ball offer. They may act like it but don't worry about it.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:28 AM   #8

I have always taken the approach and told more than one dealer, you are in the business of selling Motorhomes, I am not in the business of buying them. You have a fair offer from me, and if this doesn't work for you it's been a pleasure talking with you. So far it has worked for me.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:35 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
he who wants it least.........wins
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Don't want to over pay but don't want to insult either. Made one offer already and was shot down. Too low but we didn't think so based on the age and work needed.
Shaz
Check out what units are actually being sold for at sites like PPL
Used Recreational Vehicles Sold or for Sale - PPL Motor Homes
Just click on the "Sold" column on the type of unit you are interested in. There should be units close to what you are looking at and what their actual selling price is. This way you can at least feel more comfortable when you sit face to face with the salesman. Remember, you are in the drivers seat not the salesman. Stick to your guns.

We made an offer for a diesel pusher that reflected the obvious repairs needed to get the unit back into average condition (it was listed as excellent, but needed, in my calculations $12,000 in repairs/replacements. It needed everything from tires to headlights to awnings.) This was a repo unit the bank had for sale. They rejected my offer, but 60 days later called and said if I would come up "a little" they would sell it to me. I politely declined, and 30 days later they called and said they would sell it to me at my asking price. I told her we had already purchased a coach. Saw that coach sitting on a dealers lot as a consignment sale asking price was very close to my original offer!

Moral of the story is time is on your side, not the seller's side. Go back and make the same offer to the seller. That shows them you are interested and they may want to make their sales quota and sell it.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:31 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
As others have said, "You can't insult a dealer with an offer." They are in the business of selling vehicles and every sale begins with an offer (his) and its always high.

I have a saying I rely on when buying a vehicle, "If you don't walk out the door, you're paying to much." Regardless, I have never encountered a salesperson who was insulted and didn't still want the sale. If you are respectful, any offer is a good one and potentially a positive step toward a sale.

My current MH was listed at $169,900 which I felt was way to high yet I was not insulted by their offer. After making an offer, which was turned down, we eventually walked and were driving out of town on our way home when the dealer called me back on my cell phone and came back with yet another counter offer, still higher than I was willing to pay. I turned it down as well, confident that my offer was fair and knowing their were many other RVs available for sale. 5-minutes later, he called back again and we closed the deal at $120,000, my original offer.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you everyone. We are in a situation of not needing to buy a MH. Our financing offer from our bank expires on the 14th of Aug. If we do not get anything by then we will continue to look and just re apply with the bank it's no biggie. Sooner or later the right one will come along. Your thoughts have helped me add another 2 units that has been sitting on the lot a while even tho the salesman said they are new trade ins. One is an 08 Seneca and the other am 08 It as a sunrise which they said they were firm on the price. I said with a giggle everything in life is neg. I told the salesman which units we wanted to test drive sat and said he was busy and wanted us to test drive Monday when it was better foe him and told him upfront that if we didn't buy by sat local we were going to Houston to see several units on our radar. I want to stick to this plan of either work with me I'm ready or risk loosing a sale or make time for me or split your commission with someone else. Either way I can walk it's up to DH on what he wants more of the units we have seen.
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:23 AM   #13

We watched our last MH on the internet for several months, in a dealers lot. We made an offer that was way below what they were asking, expecting them to reject that offer, which they did. So we waited a few more months and made another offer that was a little higher then the last. After several e-mails and phone conversations, we agreed on a price that was about $20k lower that what they were asking.
Being that you are dealing with a dealer, do not feel bad about making a 'low ball' offer. They are in the game to make money and are going to ask for the 'sky' when ever they can. One way of another they are going to make money.
OP, since time is on your side, take it and find what you want, at the price that you are willing to pay.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:29 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
OP
Regarding your financing. When we were shopping the dealer offered a lower rate than our Credit Union had pre-approved. We got the dealer to email their info and rate to us. We took it to CU and they matched it. Our CU wants our business also. So does your financial firm.
Best wishes on your efforts.

Paul
Big Dog House On Wheels
2013 Coachmen Freelander 28QB
on 2012 Chevrolet 4500
Using iRV2 app
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offer