Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Hey guys, I am starting to get those little inevetiable road nicks and chips that come with driving the RV on all types of highways and byways. Winnie did supply a whole set of small bottles of color matched paint for the the various colors on the full body paint on the rig.

So what I am wondering is, how do you guy go about filling in the little nicks and chips and making it look as un-obivious as possible??

I never have been a master at blending or matching paint, and have never developed the skills. What about you guys??

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Hey guys, I am starting to get those little inevetiable road nicks and chips that come with driving the RV on all types of highways and byways. Winnie did supply a whole set of small bottles of color matched paint for the the various colors on the full body paint on the rig.

So what I am wondering is, how do you guy go about filling in the little nicks and chips and making it look as un-obivious as possible??

I never have been a master at blending or matching paint, and have never developed the skills. What about you guys??

Sarge
Old 01-12-2008, 01:03 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Sarge, there are probably many ways this can be done. First ask yourself how long do you want to spend on this project and how close must someone be to see the repairs? WIth this in mind be sure to first shake the bottle of touch up paint very well in a warm area. If it does not have a ball bearing in the bottle I recommend adding one. If you do not want to notice this repair at all you will need to litely sand the spot and then clean with denatured alchohol and apply a dab of spot putty in the chipped area. It will dry very quickly but you can work on other areas during this time. After drying you can again with a very fine grip wet/dry sand papaer use water to sand down the area. you do not want to feel anything but smoooooth. If you again do not want to see repairs you will need to use an airbrush (small paint spryer) to apply the paint. After drying again use a 1500 - 2000 grit paper to wetsand the area. then you can apply a coat or two of clear coat.
Of coarse most of us are not going to spend this kind of time only to have it dinged up again the next time we drive it. So clean the area and apply the touchup paint with a small fine haired brush and let dry. Good luck and let us know how you did.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:44 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Wizard:
Sarge, there are probably many ways this can be done. First ask yourself how long do you want to spend on this project and how close must someone be to see the repairs? WIth this in mind be sure to first shake the bottle of touch up paint very well in a warm area. If it does not have a ball bearing in the bottle I recommend adding one. If you do not want to notice this repair at all you will need to litely sand the spot and then clean with denatured alchohol and apply a dab of spot putty in the chipped area. It will dry very quickly but you can work on other areas during this time. After drying you can again with a very fine grip wet/dry sand papaer use water to sand down the area. you do not want to feel anything but smoooooth. If you again do not want to see repairs you will need to use an airbrush (small paint spryer) to apply the paint. After drying again use a 1500 - 2000 grit paper to wetsand the area. then you can apply a coat or two of clear coat.
Of coarse most of us are not going to spend this kind of time only to have it dinged up again the next time we drive it. So clean the area and apply the touchup paint with a small fine haired brush and let dry. Good luck and let us know how you did. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A automobile wholesale dealer showed me this. Throw away the brush that comes with touch up paint and use a match. Get a few books of matches, tear one match out and use the torn end to apply the paint to the nick. You will have better control then with the brush and can usually buff it out after it dries and the repair should be close to invisible. You can throw away the match when you are through.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:26 AM   #5

"Spot Glaze" compound. Available at most auto supply stores.
JerryForwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 03:38 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Good info guys, thanks. Mike, that was my delimma. How much time and effort do I put into nick repair. I have heard of the match trick before although I have never tried it.

Last question, what is "spot glaze"?

Sarge
Old 01-13-2008, 03:49 PM   #7

Go to any auto parts store, they will have it.
Directions are on the tube.
JerryForwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:34 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
besides the ole match trick, you can also use a toothpick and just dab the paint into the chip. this method is also very controlable. then let dry and buff "if needed"
my experiance is that just enough paint is picked up on the pick and applied to fill the chip, lots and lots of little dabs

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:36 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Oh yeah, the toothpick method, I also forgot about that one! What about the clear coat guys? Do you recommend finishing the spot repair using the bottle of clear coat that Winnie supplied?