Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2019, 10:28 AM   #85

Gov't Efficiency

It's a little-known fact that the U.S. Federal Transportation Act of 2012 required that all states receiving federal funds for roads make their automated toll collection systems interoperable within four years.

How's that working out?

We have a SunPass, an EZ-Pass and an I-Forget-The-Texas-One's-Name across the top of our windshield.

<sarcasm>
Thankfully, the (literal) billions of dollars the Feds spend on highways solved this problem in 2016.
</sarcasm>
simssj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2019, 10:38 AM   #86

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
RV Toll Pass is looking pretty good. 35 states with the exception of a few cash only bridges. Im going to buy it for the new coach, but at 94.95 on my own, and not as a $273 option
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:26 PM   #87

Not sure if EZ Pass works near Orlando. They do take SunPass. EZ Pass works many places but not all. It depends from which state you purchase it. Chk on line for the states that are included in your EZPass, depending on where you purchase it.
Rollergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #88

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
After initiating this poll,

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/univ...ey-470535.html

and several more minutes of exhaustive research, Ive concluded this is the best choice for my cross country ramblings:

https://rvtollpass.com/

But after market for $95, not as an option on my order for $273
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:32 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
Will be going from eastern long island down to Florida on December 23rd to visit Mom and take in the Tampa RV show

The toll system has changed over the years and "Cash" lane are either gone or minimized in favor of the easy pass system or picture get it in the mail system. The problem with the easy pass system is it isn't universal and what works in some states doesn't work in other states.

So how do you deal with paying tolls for the RV and for the toad? Thanks in advance for any suggestions and/or your experiences while traveling

We used to live on Long Island and the real problem is getting off with an RV!
We used EZ pass for most of the way down then Florida Sunpass. Not many other tolls to worry about.
JKConey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:04 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by simssj View Post
We have a SunPass, an EZ-Pass and an I-Forget-The-Texas-One's-Name across the top of our windshield.
<sarcasm>
Thankfully, the (literal) billions of dollars the Feds spend on highways solved this problem in 2016.
</sarcasm>
In TX, OK and KS, it is TxTag. Free to register the cars, truck and RVs. RFID tag for each vehicle. The computer assumes if one vehicle is the registered RV and another register vehicle is with in 15 seconds the RV is towing. Tolls go on the specified linked credit card. Every so often the system fails and we get a couple years of free travel. Happened for 4 days last year when I was traveling.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:25 AM   #91

Quote:
The new Florida pass is in the mail covering at least 18 states on the east coast and some in the midwest (daughter's family in southwest Ohio and Newmar in Indiana).

I haven't had a chance yet to map out my route in a few weeks but will see what besides 95 goes south to Tampa area at least below DC. Rather look at the scenery anyway.
95/a1a/301/75 in Ocala/Tampa.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:08 AM   #92

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Road_Trip View Post
You ask "How do you pay tolls on the road?" Well if you take I-95 you better get a loan or a good credit card, I believe all the Tolls on I-95 are run by and belong to the organized crime (Mafia!). We took I-95 from Georgia to Maine and the tolls cost us nearly $450.00 and that was just one-way up there, we were not stupid enough to take I-95 going back! I have to say that the worst interstate in America has to be I-95, it is terrible, pot holes, rough pavement and each of the states charges ridiculous amount at the tolls and for what? certainly not for road upkeep, more like Politician's Bank Account Upkeep! We were in a motorhome and towing a vehicle and they charged us up to $84.00 at each of them, they should be ashamed for charging the amounts they do! We thought Chicago was bad with the "Skyway" toll at $55.00 but the east coast commits broad day robbery at their toll booths!

If I may suggest, use the 80 Corridor and do not, do not, DO NOT get on I-95!!

Take I-80 to I-40 to I-75 right to Florida and NO TOLLS until you get into Florida and then it is just one toll payment!

We are planning to go back to the east coast but trust me when I say that we will NEVER again get on the I-95 Mafia Freeway!
Janjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:35 AM   #93

The new NC Quickpass with EZ pass account with transponders for both RV and Car. It does not always pick up the RV so it then picks it up on the car. Set up an account with both vehicles on it. They are combined and we went across country from Washington State up into the NE, and down the coast to Florida! Used it all the way. Only one time did we have to pay and then was when we were in Virginia site seeing.

flugday55
2016 Fleetwood Bounder Anniversary Edition
flugday55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:08 AM   #94

Pay tolls?

I Don't pay tolls. Get a good paper map of where you are going, usually less than $2, and find the good main road alternative. I have lived in Florida for 35 years and have managed to avoid tolls for 99% of the time. Most toll roads will charge per axle if 3 or more including your toad. I was charged $25 for my class A with Tag axle and toad for 25 miles. The savvy locals avoid toll roads and let the tourists pay them
FredV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #95

Thanks Btw...how do you highlight in red when quoting someone?

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:34 PM   #96

Quote:
Thanks Btw...how do you highlight in red when quoting someone?
Click on the "quote" button.

After typing your comments below the quote, go back and highlight the quoted comment at the top (between the square brackets - don't include the bits at both ends inside the brackets). While that's highlighted, click on the font color drop down (looks like the letter A) on the tool bar above. Select whatever color you want.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:52 PM   #97

Ez pass & sun shine pass

For our travels we found both of these to work but you need to get on the internet to see what states are covered. Both are inexpensive to purchase and you can get that money back when you finish using them. Do not use cash because the tolls are a lot more expensive vs using the units. There is not one that covers all states but the ease of going thru the toll stations and you can just take it from the RV and put it on the dash if you have a toad.
Safe Travels,
Jim & Diane 98' HRE 37'
jimemeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:05 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Click on the "quote" button.

After typing your comments below the quote, go back and highlight the quoted comment at the top (between the square brackets - don't include the bits at both ends inside the brackets). While that's highlighted, click on the font color drop down (looks like the letter A) on the tool bar above. Select whatever color you want.
Thanks Richard for your response but I can't find the "tool bar above" to change the font color and if I right click my mouse font is not an option?

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote