Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2019, 09:24 AM   #113

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Smile Travel with tolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
Will be going from eastern long island down to Florida on December 23rd to visit Mom and take in the Tampa RV show

The toll system has changed over the years and "Cash" lane are either gone or minimized in favor of the easy pass system or picture get it in the mail system. The problem with the easy pass system is it isn't universal and what works in some states doesn't work in other states.

So how do you deal with paying tolls for the RV and for the toad? Thanks in advance for any suggestions and/or your experiences while traveling

I have an Indiana EZPass which is good just about everywhere north of Virginia to Main. One catch is our coach has a tag axle and we tow. So you need to get a Motorhome EZPass and the toll stations count axles and debit your account accordingly. We also have an EZPass for our toad, which we take off when we are towing in the area to avoid being charged for 5 axles plus 2 on the toad.

We also have a Florida Sunshine Pass, which is good at most of the toll roads in Florida. Same thing applies, but we have our coach and toad registered to the same account and towing, it picks up all 5 axles and when we arrive, we take it off and put it on the toad for local tolls.

Being from North Texas where there seems to be more and more toll roads, we have a NTTA toll tag on our coach which registers 3 axles, plus a separate toll tag for the other two vehicles we tow occasionally.

All of these accounts are linked to a credit card, so I don't have to wait at a toll booth to pay, or fumble around for change (misstatement, with 5 axles in any of these areas, don't worry about change, we are talking about green folding money)! It is much faster than going through toll booths, far less expensive than paying by mail, and does not require thought about maintaining a balance in the account since it is auto debited to the credit card account.

Works for us! we have been doing this for years.
TurboDaveTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2019, 09:21 PM   #114

[To the lady that posted the original post and question, I offered you what ACTUALLY transposed on our trip up the east coast and I offered you our ACTUAL toll booth charges in hopes that I could help you avoid all the charges that we incurred and like I stated before, we are going back up the east coast as we loved it but we will never again take I-95 and pay the terrible and extremely high toll charges like we did on our first trip up there. Sorry for the TROLL that tried to corrupt and diminish my efforts to help you. Happy Trails, be safe and May God Bless You in your travels.[/QUOTE]

Hey... I am no lady...lol

Anyway I really did appreciate your input and everyone else’s too

Trolls are everywhere these days...and really hard to tell too...personally, I feel sorry for real trolls and wonder what kind of life do they really have? Sad if you ask me

Anyway, I still haven’t received my new Florida super duper EZ-pass and I am out of here in two (2) week dance:.

Still haven’t figured the best way to get off LI......taking 495 through the Midtown tunnel brings you up...wait for it... in midtown Manhattan at 32nd something street and 2nd avenue but you then have to go all the way cross-town to 11th avenue to go through the Lincoln tunnel to NJ which will ultimately get you on the forsaken I-95 south.

The other option I am considering is the Verrazano Bridge to Staten Island then to NJ I-95 south. Throgs Neck to George Washington then to NJ and I-95 south seems to be way too north and then you have the cross-Bronx expressway to deal with which is usually a mess.

So after I figure that mess out what can I expect toll wise going down I-95 from NJ to south of the Tampa Bay area by Venice Florida? Any detours instead of I-95 along that route that don’t take you too far off course are appreciated as well

Thanks for your experience and input!

(These dancing guys on the new screen since trying to learn how to highlight are hilarious figured I try a few...lol)

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:20 AM   #115

Quote:
The other option I am considering is the Verrazano Bridge to Staten Island then to NJ I-95 south. Throgs Neck to George Washington then to NJ and I-95 south seems to be way too north and then you have the cross-Bronx expressway to deal with which is usually a mess.

So after I figure that mess out what can I expect toll wise going down I-95 from NJ to south of the Tampa Bay area by Venice Florida? Any detours instead of I-95 along that route that don’t take you too far off course are appreciated as well
Personally, I'd use the Verrazano and the Outer Bridge to I-95, then jump off the NJTP in the Bordentown area onto I-295, which has no tolls. But I would try to avoid the Cross Bronx and the George - did that for years, both in a car, and long before that, driving semi-trailers.

Unless you leave late at night or in the wee hours, in which case it's mostly moot as traffic is at it's lightest. In a NYC sense.

Further south, I like the US13 (and maybe US113) route to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, as it's both far from DC, and it's more interesting than interstates.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:44 AM   #116

EZ Pass and/or SunPass

Just remember to put your toad's transponder in its metal sleeve, or you'll be charged triple for the motorhome and 2-axle for the toad.
WeimMobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:43 PM   #117

Former LI NYER and RVer here. If you know Bklyn well, you can take the conduit through to pick up the Verrazano. The fastest way if no traffic middle of the night is the Conduit to the BQE, then back down to the V bridge before you hit Manhattan. Good trip!
JKConey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:56 PM   #118

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
[To the lady that posted the original post and question, I offered you what ACTUALLY transposed on our trip up the east coast and I offered you our ACTUAL toll booth charges in hopes that I could help you avoid all the charges that we incurred and like I stated before, we are going back up the east coast as we loved it but we will never again take I-95 and pay the terrible and extremely high toll charges like we did on our first trip up there. Sorry for the TROLL that tried to corrupt and diminish my efforts to help you. Happy Trails, be safe and May God Bless You in your travels.

Trolls are everywhere these days...and really hard to tell too...personally, I feel sorry for real trolls and wonder what kind of life do they really have? Sad if you ask me

Anyway, I still haven’t received my new Florida super duper EZ-pass and I am out of here in two (2) week dance:.

Still haven’t figured the best way to get off LI......taking 495 through the Midtown tunnel brings you up...wait for it... in midtown Manhattan at 32nd something street and 2nd avenue but you then have to go all the way cross-town to 11th avenue to go through the Lincoln tunnel to NJ which will ultimately get you on the forsaken I-95 south.

(These dancing guys on the new screen since trying to learn how to highlight are hilarious figured I try a few...lol) [/QUOTE]
RV_Road_Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:04 PM   #119

Tiffin Owners Club
Just a thought......

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Road_Trip View Post

(These dancing guys on the new screen since trying to learn how to highlight are hilarious figured I try a few...lol)
[/QUOTE]

Have you considered the "80 Corridor"?

While we up there we talked to a number of RV'ers who said they would never take I-95 again because of the rough roads and the over-charged toll fees and they said they took I-80 and it was a better road and drive. I plan to take I-75 to I-40 to I-80 on our next trek to the east coast, it might be your best route and may be quicker and much cheaper, no tolls on I-40 and no tolls on I-75 until you get to Florida. We have been I-75 to I-40 to I-64 (I think) to go to the lower east coast, its a great route.

RV_Road_Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:18 PM   #120

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Will be going from eastern long island down to Florida on December 23rd to visit Mom and take in the Tampa RV show

The toll system has changed over the years and "Cash" lane are either gone or minimized in favor of the easy pass system or picture get it in the mail system. The problem with the easy pass system is it isn't universal and what works in some states doesn't work in other states.

So how do you deal with paying tolls for the RV and for the toad? Thanks in advance for any suggestions and/or your experiences while traveling
EZ PASS and SunPass for Florida It will save lots of time....and money
KingCruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:30 PM   #121

Update: Got the Florida EPASS EXTRA and will be installing it along with my President Bill CB this weekend when the rain stops

From what I read there are not any tolls leaving NY into NJ but what a nightmare coming back into NY they actually charge different rates depending on the hour of the day you enter and the prices for a RV with a toad are outrageous! ...See here https://www.panynj.gov/bridges-tunnels/tolls.html

Leaning towards taking the outer crossing Staten Island to NJ and will be leaving in the very early am next weekend

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:38 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Road_Trip View Post

Have you considered the "80 Corridor"?

While we up there we talked to a number of RV'ers who said they would never take I-95 again because of the rough roads and the over-charged toll fees and they said they took I-80 and it was a better road and drive. I plan to take I-75 to I-40 to I-80 on our next trek to the east coast, it might be your best route and may be quicker and much cheaper, no tolls on I-40 and no tolls on I-75 until you get to Florida. We have been I-75 to I-40 to I-64 (I think) to go to the lower east coast, its a great route.

[/QUOTE]

Unless something has been snuck in there are no tolls on I-75 in FLA until you get down to Alligator Alley, just past Naples.

As an aside I've had a Sun Pass for years. I've change my Roadtrek to the E Pass extra. The only account options are personal or commercial, no predetermined axle amount or RV categories. The extra uses a portable transponder(20). There is no monthly maintenance fee. The tolls in FLA are strictly by axle, no difference in vehicle classes or commercial.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:04 PM   #123

Tolls

One thing to consider leaving LI is that the tunnels restrict carrying propane through them and the signage specifically identifies campers and RVs.

You are right that tolls are not charged outbound from the city. However, The last time I crossed the GW bridge traveling north with my class A + towed, the toll was $86 - a real heart stopper!
DSimm2270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:54 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSimm2270 View Post
One thing to consider leaving LI is that the tunnels restrict carrying propane through them and the signage specifically identifies campers and RVs.

You are right that tolls are not charged outbound from the city. However, The last time I crossed the GW bridge traveling north with my class A + towed, the toll was $86 - a real heart stopper!
For anyone interested in reading the specifics of the rules for carrying propane between NY & NJ on Port Authority bridges/tunnels, here's a good reference:

https://www.panynj.gov/truckers-reso...f/red-book.pdf

The same restrictions that apply to the tunnels also appear to apply to the GW Bridge lower level.

See pages 13 for talk about Class 2 materials, and 33-34, under Materials of Trade exemption to the prohibition. Page 34 specifically talks about when an RV falls in the exemption.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:31 PM   #125

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
link not working
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:55 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
link not working
Sorry about that. Looks like their page isn't working right now, as none of the links on it work. Maybe they're doing an update? The page comes up, but the links fail right now.

Here's the link to the page:

https://www.panynj.gov/bridges-tunne...resources.html

The link from the page is:

Hazardous Materials-Transportation Regulations at Tunnel and Bridge Facilities
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote