Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2014, 06:25 AM   #29

There's lots of (free) weather apps that list the weather conditions, including wind, in your current locale based on your GPS position.

In the end however the amount of head or tail wind is a relatively minor consideration in regards to fuel mileage.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2014, 07:41 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
In the end however the amount of head or tail wind is a relatively minor consideration in regards to fuel mileage.
Murf2u
I disagree.
I average 8.5 MPG overall, (have for 100k+ miles).
However with a constant tailwind it can be as high as 10.5 MPG.... (with a constant headwind as low as 6 MPG).
Mel
'96 Safari

Old 10-31-2014, 07:51 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Murf2u
I disagree.
However with a constant tailwind it can be as high as 10.5 MPG.... (with a constant headwind as low as 6 MPG).
Mel
'96 Safari

The devil lives in the details. Notice I used the word "overall".

I too keep track of things, as a pilot weather is high on that list, and in over a million miles and 30 years of tracking the weather and driving, I found that a strong (above 10 knots) wind (head or tail) amounted to just 3% of that mileage.

If you have a head or tail wind 3% of the time and it changes your mileage by 20% for just that 3% that would result in a very minor change in your overall fuel mileage when applied to that whole amount of driving.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:13 AM   #32

Quote:
There's lots of (free) weather apps that list the weather conditions, including wind, in your current locale based on your GPS position.
Quote:
The devil lives in the details. Notice I used the word "overall".
Murf2u
If you HAD used the word "overall" in your post #29, (which you did not),
I would not have disagreed with your post.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 10-31-2014, 09:19 AM   #33

Quote:
Murf2u
If you HAD used the word "overall" in your post #29, (which you did not),
I would not have disagreed with your post.
Mel
'96 Safari

Indeed you are correct Sir, I was sure I had, I certainly intended too, I apologize.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:38 PM   #34

On a good day I might get 7 to 10 mpg on my Dodge class C. But out here in the west, driving in the wind is just something you learn to live with. The desert is flat and wide open. On any given day the wind blows at a speed of 20 to 30 mph in areas where the speed limit is 80 mph. When a storm is on it's way wind gusts can be 60 to 80 mph. In these gusty condition I' m lucky if I get 5 mpg. Generally in these conditions I slow down to 55 mph and just make other drivers pass. Because commercial semi rollovers are all to common around here. But in Utah, Arizona and Nevada you just have to live with the wind. You can pull off at a rest area for a while. But the "The wind from hell" as I call it can blow for days, weeks or even months non stop. So sooner or later you just have to face the heat in the kitchen. When you do camp out at any given spot for extended periods make sure you put your stabilizer jacks on. Because the wind gets powerful enough it could blow your rig over if you don't have it securely stabilized. When driving on the freeway be alert at all times. If you let your guard down the wind will blow you off the road like a kite in the wind. Because the wind can come at you from any direction. I have to even straddle the wind in my car in any given day. So if your heading west, any wind resistant measure you can perform on your rig will be a blessing when you need it the most.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:57 PM   #35

Cimplexsound, How do you straddle wind?
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:28 PM   #36

Jayco Owners Club
When pushing anything through the air, drag is the resistance of the air from friction. Unfortunately with all the appendages on the roof and sides of RVs of all kinds, drag is a real problem. We also get the rolling resistance of the wheels. Keeping the tires aired up is a no-brainer.

I'm a glider pilot, (real ones and RC), and have some knowledge of drag. Since an RV has no lifting surfaces, induced drag isn't present. It goes down with speed, anyway... Parasitic drag is the drag from the air over all the surface area, corners, appendages, squared off back side, etc... that's the enemy of fuel economy. Parasitic drag increases with the square of speed. In other words, the increase in air drag from 30 mph to 60 mph isn't twice as much, it's 4 times as much. From 30 to 90 is... 9 times as much! So, if you're driving 60 into a 30mph headwind, your air drag is the same as driving 90 on a calm day.

So, what everyone is saying about slowing down and not driving into headwinds is true... It still takes fuel to move the weight and push the wheels, but air drag has the biggest appetite for eating fuel mileage.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:08 PM   #37

Quote:
Murf2u
I disagree.
Mel
'96 Safari
I agree Mel. I remember driving West of US 2 from MN to Glacier National Park. I drove in a 30+ MPH headwind every day. My normal mileage for my Duramax dually is 10.5 towing our 15,500# GVW 5er. That 3 days of driving into that headwind, my mileage was 5.5-6.5, driving my usual 60 MPH. As anyone who's ever driven that route knows, it is mostly all flat.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:35 AM   #38

There is a publication put out by an engine manufacturer called "Factors affecting performance of RVs" or similar which should be required reading for drivers of MHs.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:57 PM   #39

Easy---draft a bigger vehicle. It's always good for 1-2 mpg
Old 11-08-2014, 06:39 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post
Easy---draft a bigger vehicle. It's always good for 1-2 mpg
Grappling hook on a semi?
Old 11-08-2014, 06:46 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
Grappling hook on a semi?