Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-25-2014, 10:13 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
cimplexsound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 744
How Do You Reduce Wind Resistance???


Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1414292480.829607.jpg
Views: 2009
Size:  56.6 KB

So many of us who are RViers go south this time of year. Problem is, there is so much wind resistance in the average Motorhome, and it can severely effect gas milage. So my question is. What do you do to reduce Wind Resistance? I usually have never worried much about wind resistance, but with 2 larger motorhomes what can I do to reduce wind drag???


1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
__________________

__________________
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2014, 10:16 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
UFO Pilot's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 4,608
When ever I see those signs, I always think "Well maybe they don't exist!".

To answer your question, I park the RV or go as slow as possible.
__________________

__________________
Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 416
Buy a Prius 53mpg my motorhome 7mpg this averages out to30mpg so I can live with it. Hope this helps. haha good luck
__________________
2001 Horizon 2004 jeep GC
autofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:27 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,211
Wind resistance and drag are different terms. Resistance is caused by the profile of the vehicle, the mirrors, windows, doors, etc. that cause the wind to have to move around the vehicle. The way the wind comes back into the void left the moving RV is drag. You'll see truck trailers with wings on the edges, top and bottom of the rear doors to reduce drag.

High winds pushing against the front of your RV will cause a dramatic reduction in MPG. The wind pushing from the rear will increase your MPG. From the side is the real danger. It can cause you to switch lanes or go off the road with no warning. A steady crosswind can cause you to turn the wheel to compensate for the side pressure until suddenly you pass something that blocks the wind, causing your RV to swerve before you can correct for the changing force.

I think the best idea is during high winds, park the RV. Change travel plans to travel early mornings when the wind isn't blowing yet. Reduce speed. There are devices sold to reduce some of the bad handling characteristics of RVs, some better than others. There's no place I've got to be in such a hurry that I can't wait out the wind.
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:28 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
wa8yxm's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22,790
How to reduce wind resistance..

Well there are practical and non-practical means for doing this.

First: Wash and Wax.. this is #1 in my book, but do yourself a favor, Make a round trip and record fuel usage so you know you MPG, then Wash and Wax and make the same round trip again keeping Fuel records so you know your MPG... Post results please.

Next: The proper choice of a towed (If you are driving a motor home) I used to tow a 4,000 pound Chevy Lumina APV,, towed "Lighter" than my 2500 pound Dodge Neon believe it or not. My best guess is the effect it had on air flow at the rear of the motor home.

A "Spoiler" to break up the natural vacuum at the rear of the rig (The Lumina had one).

Drive slower (55-60 on most RVs)

Non-practrical: Streamline the MH (Remove things that stick out like awnings)
__________________
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
cimplexsound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Wind resistance and drag are different terms. Resistance is caused by the profile of the vehicle, the mirrors, windows, doors, etc. that cause the wind to have to move around the vehicle. The way the wind comes back into the void left the moving RV is drag. You'll see truck trailers with wings on the edges, top and bottom of the rear doors to reduce drag.

High winds pushing against the front of your RV will cause a dramatic reduction in MPG. The wind pushing from the rear will increase your MPG. From the side is the real danger. It can cause you to switch lanes or go off the road with no warning. A steady crosswind can cause you to turn the wheel to compensate for the side pressure until suddenly you pass something that blocks the wind, causing your RV to swerve before you can correct for the changing force.

I think the best idea is during high winds, park the RV. Change travel plans to travel early mornings when the wind isn't blowing yet. Reduce speed. There are devices sold to reduce some of the bad handling characteristics of RVs, some better than others. There's no place I've got to be in such a hurry that I can't wait out the wind.
RV wings? Now that's an idea. I'm guessing you could get them at trucks stops or RV parts stores right??


1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
__________________
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:01 AM   #7
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by autofish View Post
Buy a Prius 53mpg my motorhome 7mpg this averages out to30mpg so I can live with it. Hope this helps. haha good luck
autofish
53 MPG??....when being towed my Saturn ION gets thousands of MPG!

cimplexsound
The only proven way that I know of to reduce wind resistance on a Motorhome... is to slow down!

Mel
'96 Safari
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
stuhly's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,290
Drive only with a tailwind while going down hill.
__________________
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:19 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
336muffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,569
In my 5 million miles as a truck driver in 48 states and Canada, the wind almost always stops at night or is severely less. This is not the case on the coast. I owned my own truck and trailer so the fuel $ was out of my pocket and I became very good with saving fuel. Night driving is not for everyone but when in a high wind area it is a safe alternitive and a great way to save money.
__________________
American Tradition 42R-Cadillac SRX Blue Ox Koni 5050XL MCD Scangauge D Samsung rf197
Fulltime since 2012
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:43 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
In my 5 million miles as a truck driver in 48 states and Canada, the wind almost always stops at night or is severely less. This is not the case on the coast. I owned my own truck and trailer so the fuel $ was out of my pocket and I became very good with saving fuel. Night driving is not for everyone but when in a high wind area it is a safe alternitive and a great way to save money.
Good one...never thought of that. Now all we need is good enough headlights to drive at night.
__________________
2004 Tiffin Allegro 27.5 ft. P32 18,000 lb GVW. 8.1 liter. Workhorse chassis built May 2002. 21,000 miles. 2012 Jeep Liberty Toad. RVi2 brake unit.
Full.Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
RV wings? Now that's an idea. I'm guessing you could get them at trucks stops or RV parts stores right??

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
You could try these:

Airtab: Aerodynamic fuel savers for truck, tractor, trailer, bus, RV
How to: Streamline your RV and Save Fuel

Of course these do little for the side forces of a strong cross wind that can push you out of a lane.
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Steve Ownby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cosby, Tn
Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
Attachment 77440

So many of us who are RViers go south this time of year. Problem is, there is so much wind resistance in the average Motorhome, and it can severely effect gas milage. So my question is. What do you do to reduce Wind Resistance? I usually have never worried much about wind resistance, but with 2 larger motorhomes what can I do to reduce wind drag???


1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.

There are things you can do, most of which are likely to yield very small increments in MPG. Two that you can accomplish without any expenditures are:
1. Slow down. The lowest speed you can drive and stay in high gear is the best speed.
2. Tire pressure. Set all tire pressures to at least support the load. Adding about 10% can help rolling resistance.

When replacing tires, look for low rolling resistance designs.
Keep your drive train maintained & don't let your air filter get too dirty & restrictive.


Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
__________________
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:28 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Peacekeeper6's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 277
Do your best Robby Gordon, Jimmy Johnson or Tony Stewart impersonation and draft those (Mod Edit) tractor trailers real close-like. Following about 1 to 2 inches from the back bumper should be sufficient.

I would, however, maintain radio (CB) contact with the truck driver, because at that distance, you're not going to be able to see (Mod Edit) but the back door of his trailer, and stop in time should he jam on his brakes.

Ymmv....

__________________
Lou & Cheri - Pilot & Copilot
Aly & Susi - Miniature Schnauzer Navigator & Bombadier
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27 - CG-1 Bomber
Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:51 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Apollo Beach, FL
Posts: 1,517
On our previous coach, I was planning on making a front air dam out of conveyer belt
material. The underside had lots of "stuff" that would cause wind resistance. The dam would block it and the conveyor belt material was ridged enough to maintain shape at speed, but would flex if it hit an obstruction. I sold the coach before I put the air dam on .
__________________

__________________
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Possible" door wind noise fix brobox Entegra Owner's Forum 34 09-14-2014 10:16 AM
Drivers Door Wind Noise garyedgecomb Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 3 08-01-2014 07:36 PM
Wind Deflector CrossCountryMonaco Monaco Owner's Forum 7 07-07-2014 06:02 AM
Timber Ridge vs. Wind River vs. Arctic Fox and Price tredfield Travel Trailer Discussion 20 05-26-2014 09:52 PM
High Wind Warnings csrrsr iRV2.com General Discussion 15 03-25-2014 09:26 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.