Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-01-2016, 09:11 PM   #29
Fleetwood Owners Club
Work, but worth it

I'm spoiled in my normal wash routine to have a covered wash area at our RV storage yard (no added charge to use). Even though they have a pressure washer, I prefer to use the hose and a nozzle. I use the following:

1) Car wash soap. Either Blue Coral or RainX brands.
2) An Unger 14 in. Window Scrubber with Microfiber and Overmold Grip Connect and Clean Locking System (Home Depot). The Microfibers don't scratch the gelcoat (soft). I use an extension pole with this scrubber and insert it into a window cleaning bucket that is wide enough. This allows me to reach the entire RV. I use it on the roof as well. 3) For lower areas that are easy to reach, I use a wash mitt that also is soft / non-scratching.

4) Once the wash and rinse is complete, I use an inexpensive Toro Power Sweep 160 mph 155 CFM 7 Amp Electric Leaf Blower to blow off the remaining water on the RV. This eliminates the need to hand dry the RV and is the most gentle on the gelcoat and cab paint. It's fast, too.

When it comes to waxing, I use as follows:

1) PORTER-CABLE 7424XP 6-Inch Variable-Speed Polisher
2) Astro 4607 5" PU Velcro Backing Pad
3) Different polishing, cutting or finishing pads depending on the shape that the gelcoat or cab paint is in. These are what I have used: Chemical Guys BUFX_102_HEX5 Hex-Logic Medium-Heavy Cutting Pad; Chemical Guys BUFX_104_HEX5 Hex-Logic Light-Medium Polishing Pad; Chemical Guys BUFX_106_HEX5 Hex-Logic Finishing Pad.
4) Meguiars Fiberglass Restoration system (49 Oxidation remover; 45 high gloss polish; 56 pure wax). Once the finish is restored, polish and wax are all that are needed, saving a step.

Is it work? Yes. Are there other options such as the Zep floor polish method that some on this site use, but I would only reserve that to a finish that can't be restored.

Here is an example of the result of my labors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wax_600x450.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	131773  

History: '08 View, '05 Chinook, '01 Jamboree 24D, '78 Apache Popup, 81 Komfort Tlr,
84 Mazda B2000 'w canopy,
Tent from wedding shower in '96
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2016, 09:26 PM   #30
I really like the new mequiars NXT wax. Goes on easy and just wipes off. I do the camper once a year. Hand wash after most trips. I like doing it by hand because I find any maintenance issues that might have gone un noticed. The last wax i found the caulk was loose at the door so water could come in and also found a couple of joints that needed to be re-sealed

IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:02 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
I wet one side down and let it soak. I use the pink wash and wax from camping world and dilute it then spray it with a pump sprayer and let it soak. Rinse well with a hose sprayer.
Then shammy it dry across the top and then across the bottom.
Clean and no spots.
Soaking is key for me.
You Only Live Once Travel!
2013 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Apopka FL.
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:35 PM   #32
Tiffin Owners Club
I hand waxed mine once, never again. I now use a nozzle and long handled brush to get off the road grime. Then I use my pressure washer and wash/wax product you can get at Walmart. This is similar to the wax in car washes. I now can do the complete job in about two hours instead of two days. I have a 37 foot class A motorhome.

pgeddes is offline   Reply With Quote