Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2016, 07:05 PM   #1

How does this remove?

The faucet barely dispatches water, assume the internals are shot. I have attempted to tap the notched steel insert (you might be able to see) which appears to thread into the uppermost white segment of the faucet, to no avail. Also grabbed the white upper part with channel locks but can't break it loose without damaging the counter. The only other thing I can imagine is a nut under the thing, however, the hole is very small and barely enough room for the water lines. It would be an act of extreme last resort to get my body into the cupboard below and over to that hole.

Any ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2016, 07:10 PM   #2

My guess is a nut underneath....

When confronted with a similar dilemma, I stuck a cell phone into a small opening, and used that to work out what was going on: link up via a video to another phone, take a video or take photographs to work out what is going on.
Keen Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:22 PM   #3

Done lots of faucets. They all mount from underneath.

Last single handle model I did, had a 1/4 ( 7/16 socket ) nut on a threaded rod, holding a plate accross the hole.

Any access from outside or thru a wall ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:30 PM   #4

It was probably installed in the countertop before the countertop was put in place, so it wouldn't have been difficult for them to install it.

You did check the aerator screen before you took it apart, didn't you?
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:40 PM   #5

They make a special tool to remove the nut, which makes the process much easier. I believe it is call a "Basin Wrench" . The more you try to remove it without the wrench, the cheaper it gets.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:08 PM   #6

I was gonna suggest you check the small filter screen in the faucet first...sometimes they get clogged with junk and gunk...but you're way past that now. good luck.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:22 PM   #7

I did check the screens, it has two and both were quite plugged. Actually, the only thing I have done to the faucet is to take the handle off and extend the sprayer out of the way. Thought I had the demon at that point but no, not that easy.

No access from another area and certainly no room to get into that small hole with the size wrench needed for the usual one or two nut faucets. Now then, the prospect of a 7/16 nut sounds promising, I'll check in the morning, nothing left in my now but a tired butt. Will attempt to get the cell picture first.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:03 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Monkey Run".....There is a nut on the underside. If you intend to replace it, cut the sprayer hose off and then you can wedge a large screwdriver or something similar up against the nut from underneath. While you're doing that, have someone spin the white spigot portion (where you cut the hose off) counter clockwise. If you're lucky, it will spin the nut off.

Newer ones have a nut with a couple of set screws. You only have to get the nut so far on and then tighten the set screws. As mentioned, there is a tool for reaching that nut available at Home Depot.

Here is the tool: LDR 511 1110 11-Inch Faucet Wrench, Fits 1/2 To 1-1/8-Inch - Pipe Wrenches - Amazon.com
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:17 PM   #9

removing focet

as far as tools go I like ridged 60807 which is avalbel at home depot lee
hometool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:18 PM   #10

I can't imagine there is sufficient room for that wrench in the small hole due to the three water lines entering it, but who knows, hope you are correct. I'll check in the AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:23 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The OP wants to replace the cartridge.
the top white piece unscrews.

Soak it with Master Blaster penetrant.
make sure the water is off.

You only should mess with the nut underneath if you want to remove the entire faucet.

I am sure there is a lot of mineral deposits in tne threads.

Good luck.

Dan
Old 04-16-2016, 06:37 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Is that Moen faucet? .. looks like it may be. There is an install tool that comes with the faucet ... long tube with socket on one end & nut shape on other as I recall. Itt easily reaches between the tubes to get the nut off. AND, a Mourn faucet is guaranteed for life. When mine plugged, they sent me a new one, tool included. My hot water tube was plugged with tiny pieces off a silicone rubber diaphragm that went to pieces.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:46 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
I had a similar problem. My solution was to take a cell video of the bottom of the faucet and get my daughter to do it. She being younger and much more bendable then me. I showed her what had to be done and how to use the basin wrench. It took a while but got the job done. I even had my grand daughter crawl in a hole to get the number off of a relay. Youth has its advantages.
jsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:30 AM   #14

Those silly styles of faucets all use the spark head parts that were once a side accessory.

They all get clogged up with mineral deposits.

Unscrew the head from the hose and test flow there.

If good replace the service parts in the head.

If it is ceramic valves then it has inlet screens to protect valves from sand and these get clogged with sand that causes same problem.