Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2007, 01:29 PM   #1

Hello
I have a DP (see signature) that has two "SECREAT" hiding places in the floor, right over the engine.
Can a SENTRY fire safe and two SENTRY hand carry fire safes withstand the heat, if GOD forbid the engine should catch fire.
All three safes are rated at 1200 dg. F.
We store some items which would be very hard to replace.
Any comments or suggestions .....

Scratch

2006 Itasca Meridian 39K
Scratch & Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2007, 01:29 PM   #2

Hello
I have a DP (see signature) that has two "SECREAT" hiding places in the floor, right over the engine.
Can a SENTRY fire safe and two SENTRY hand carry fire safes withstand the heat, if GOD forbid the engine should catch fire.

Scratch

2006 Itasca Meridian 39K
Old 11-01-2007, 01:58 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scratch & Goose:
Hello

Scratch </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then you may want to consider a fire suppresion system. See the one at the web site listed below:

http://www.rvsafetysystems.com/Fire%...uppression.htm
Old 11-01-2007, 03:04 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You could also consider a system like this setup by Cruzer one of our own.Fire Systems
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:25 PM   #5

Hello;
Thanks for the advertisements, they made interesting reading, BUT my question is still unanswered....

Scratch

2006 Itasca Meridian 39K
Old 11-01-2007, 03:47 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sentry fire endurance

Have you called Sentry and ask them the heat limits. A coach burnt to the ground even the metal melts in extream heat. Fire system is to save your coach and your safes and possibly your lives.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:35 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scratch & Goose:
Hello;
Thanks for the advertisements, they made interesting reading, BUT my question is still unanswered....

I lost my motorhome in a fire.

Your request was for:

"Any comments or suggestions"

After personally experiencing a motorhome fire while driving down the highway at 65 mph with no brakes is to do everything in your power to not have a fire.

In my case of a gas coach the valve covers and intake melted off the engine. Diesels when they go will burn a crater into the roadway.

I am actively looking for a fire suppression system myself and my suggestion is that you do the same. A fire safe only provides partial protection after it is too late.

I would not store valuables over the engine. The fire safes might survive but the contents would have to suffer some level of harm.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:27 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
Hello;

I lost my motorhome in a fire.

Your request was for:

"Any comments or suggestions"

After personally experiencing a motorhome fire while driving down the highway at 65 mph with no brakes my comment is to do everything in your power to not have a fire.

In my case of a gas coach the valve covers and intake melted off the engine. Diesels when they go will burn a crater into the roadway.

I am actively looking for a fire suppression system myself and my suggestion is that you do the same. A fire safe only provides partial protection after it is too late.

I would not store valuables over the engine. The fire safes might survive but the contents would have to suffer some level of harm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 11-02-2007, 05:38 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

To answer your specific question - "no", I don't think your contents would survive. Part of the issue is that you'd be placing them in the worst possible place - directly over a superheated heat source. They "might" survive in the front of the coach but I'd hesitate to rely on any hard numbers. If you really do have important irreplaceable stuff (and we all do) I'd think about suppressing the fire rather than trying to survive it. You can't fit everything into a safe and even if it's not on the "A" list, it's still going to be missed. Not to mention the potential loss of life. These things go up fast and get very hot. I installed my suppression system with an eye to both suppress the fire to prevent further damage as well as to provide an early warning system to allow me to take the approriate action. The advice that Neil and Roger offered is good counsel. I'd consider that option rather than the safe.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:02 AM   #10

As I recall (and apply the usual caution to things "remembered"), the ratings on fire-safes have a couple of parameters that need to be considered:

1) how hot
2) how long
3) how quickly cooled down afterwards.

I think the instructions for these safes include "to be cooled in a fire-hose mist" for half-an-hour or so before opening - - that translates to a great deal of water which we may not have on hand.

My signature used to include a link to my personal web-site - - - however:
DavidMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:25 AM   #11

Thinking about my own gas coach:
Over the engine - NEVER
Over the mid area - NEVER - Propane tank
Over the rear area - NEVER - Gasoline tank
Answer to question - In a safety deposit box in a bank.
JMHO!
JerryForwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:41 AM   #12

Hello;
OK, you guys talk me into storing the valuables elswhere.
When the DW read NeilV's reply she asked "why don't we have one of those???

SO .......

Thanks for your replies,
Scratch

2006 Itasca Meridian 39K