Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2014, 05:38 PM   #15

First, our 2013 Allegro 36LA lasted all of eight months before trading for our current Phaeton 42LH. We had no idea that we would love the RV life style so much and quickly decided to go full time. The Phaeton simply had all the amenities of our S&B plus it is mobile.
Second, many class A coaches handle as well or better than the class C RV. Since both your current National and future class C are gas and will have many of the same systems (minus a generator which by the way is a big plus for the A), there will probably not be a big difference in maintenance costs. And finally whether it's 35 ft or 25 ft you will want to tow a car so you don't have to break camp every the you want to go see something outside the campground. As far as driving, not handling, length really makes no difference.

Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2014, 07:37 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
We traded our 24 ft Class C in for a 36 ft Class A DP after having the Class C for 15 months. We too, didn't realize this would become such a great hobby.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
For us it was about a year. Went from a 30' gas class A to a 34' diesel class A. Wanted a little bigger and a diesel. Kept the 34' for 7 years.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:39 PM   #18
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
Bought my first new MH in 1996 - '96 Fleetwood Southwind 34L. Just traded it in Oct 2012 on a new 2011 Monaco Cayman. So, 16 years for the first coach! Still was "like new"
Old 02-06-2014, 09:28 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Less than a year. Bought a 35', gas class A, thinking that we'd only do weekend trips within a few hours from home. Then took it on an 18 day trip wondering if the family would love it or hate it. We loved it, but it changed our ideas about how much we'd use and drive it. So we upgraded to a 40' DP. For a brief moment, in between signing the papers for trading the first coach in for the second, I owned two 2013 RV's!

Yes, I took a hit on the trade. But not as bad as you might think considering the deal I got on the upgrade.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #20

We didn't trade. Our first MH was a 26' Class C, a 1985 model with a carburated Ford 460. We bought it privately, having absolutely no idea what features we would like. It turned out that POS had nothing we liked except the RV lifestyle. It had a corner bed and pedestal tables where the chrome-plated steel tube just went into a hole in the upper level of the plywood floor.

With all the smog gear on the engine, we only got about 6 mpg at sea-level and about 4.5 in the mountains and the under-hood heat coming through the doghouse was enough to melt the soles of your sneakers! We managed to sell it through a local consignment dealer after a season and a half, though we lost 50% of our purchase price. At the time, gas was still under $2 a gallon!

We waited 5 years to save up a down-payment on a better rig. We found an '02 Georgetown 32' Class A in our local newspaper ads, which we bought from the original owners in 2010, with only 12,000 miles on it an 48 hours on the generator. We've done the last half of the 2010 season, the 2011 , 2012 and 2013, but have only put about 6000 more miles on it. It's significantly more economical than our earlier rig, getting around 8 mpg regardless of altitude. Do the math - 8 mpg is 30% better than 6 and almost double the 4.5 in the mountains. The GT has bedroom and living room slides and the extra 6' length gives us a bedroom with a "shuffle-round" queen bed.

Regrettably, we're getting to the point where the cost of gas (particularly if WA legislators go ahead with an additional 11 cents/gallon tax) and the increasing costs for CG stays (about $20/night when we started and around $40/night now) are making it probable that we'll have to sell it and give up the lifestyle. It will probably be in the "For Sale" section in the spring, after I get the generator running again.

It does have an almost new Dometic fridge, since the original one died two days before we set off on a trip down the Oregon coast last April.

If anyone's interested, keep an eye on the Classifieds or send me a PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:53 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
My wife and I bought our first M.H. in 1989 just about 4 years before we retired.
It was a 26' Dolphin and in 1997 we made a big mistake when we went to a F.M.C.A. rally their we saw a beautiful 36' Dolphin and you know the rest,we still have it and travel all over with it.
We put over 83,000 miles on it and we are still going strong.
One of my suggestions to you and your wife would be to joined a couple of R.V. coups that way you will meet a lot of new Friends.
You might meet a couple that lives in your area.
If you was to check with your Elk's & Moose Lodges you will fine out that they have R.V. groups also.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought my first coach in 1990. It was a Cross Country made by Coachman on a Chevy chassis. Had 50K when bought 120K when sold in 2004. Wore it out. Was 32' and too long for National park and forest service campgrounds. Looked for 5 years, visited manufacturing plants and had Rexhall built mine in 2005, 30' my way , from chassis used to overall height(to fit in my existing garage). Don't know they will or can still do that. Has over 60K on it. This one goes when I can't drive anymore and wife has to drive. Next one is Unity model by Leisure which is owned by Triple E. Model I like has full size bath across the back, two reclining chairs with a murphy bed (electrical controlled on Sprinter chassis) all in a 24 length Not cheap but quality is good..
Old 02-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #23

We thought that our friends and family would be more interested in making trips of varying lengths with us but as it turns out (1) The folks we'd like to have along aren't that interested (2) The folks that are interested we don't like having along.

We have the same issue but still plan to upgrade to a bigger rig.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Going on 4 years ago DW wanted a pontoon boat. Me looking for a deal, found a ( little on the ruff side) Winnebago Adventurer 35U in a guys back yard and wanted it real bad. DW was sure I had lost my mind and said "that's for people that spend time together you work all the time!" I love to restore things and troubleshoot problems and she is very good at cleaning and decorating. In short order we had this rig looking and running like new. I also work full time but we camped over 120 nights the first year and quickly realized the value of having a second home anywhere you want, stocked with your own things, and even your pet loves it. We are now spending quality time together! She is always looking for a deal and found a 2006 Itasca Suncriuser 35A we had to have and enjoyed it for a year and a half and sold it. We ordered a 2013 Winnebago Tour 42QD that we are in love with. We have had it for 14 months, drove it over 10,000 miles and camped in it going on 160 nights.
We are happy campers !!!
You only live once travel !!!

Jesse
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2537638089.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	524.1 KB
ID:	55856  
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
We bought our first motor home used in Oct 2001. It didn't have any slides, was old enough and proved how much we loved camping, that we bought a new 2002 coach in December (2001). We still can't believe that we traded after 3 months but we have never regretted it and had the 2002 for 11 years...loving every minute of it. Our next trade was for a used coach in December 2012. We hope to take it around the country in a few years and then we will probably be ready for another one.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:47 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First coach was a 1988 Pace Arrow, bought in 1997. Traded it in on a new 2000 Damon Intruder 359 in 2000. In 2011 traded the Intruder in for a 2011 Thor Tuscany 42RQ. Will pickup our new 2014 Thor Tuscany 44MT next week in Elkhart if the weather is ok.

gmullen is offline   Reply With Quote