Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #15
Originally Posted by Y Roadrunner View Post
Good morning everyone,

Now that we have bought a new to us coach and have a 15 year loan, I plan on being in it a while. When we lived in a house, we moved about every 7 years, but now we can just drive to a new location whenever.

So my question is, how long do most of you keep a coach before selling and buying again? Is staying in one for 10 years considered long? Just kind of curious.

The rule of theumb used to be when the ash trays get full it's time to trade it off. Since none that I know of come with ash trays, and neither of us smoke it complicates things. We kept our first motorhome over 12 years and put on over 100,000 miles. The new one is only 5 months old, but already has 10,000 miles on the odometer. I'm guessing we'll keep this one for at least another 100,000 miles or 12 years. Which ever comes first.

2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #16
We bought our first one in 1987, a class 'C', and kept it for 11 years. The next 2 (small class 'A' gas) we had only a few years each, and then traded for the diesel in '03. I've added some nice upgrades along the way, take good care of it, and store indoors. With only 55,000 miles, I'd say she's got a ways to go. We have no plans on selling or trading anytime soon.

USAF 1965-1971; USCG Master
2002 Horizon 36LD - 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We bought our first RV ...and only so far ...10 years ago. So far we have yet to see one we like better. Sure, there may be a little feature or two we would like to have, but overall we are very happy with our 2003 coach.
Paul (KE5LXU) ...was fulltimin', now parttimin'
'03 Winnebago UA 40e / '05 Honda Odyssey toad
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #18
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We bought our First Class A (94 Bounder) when it was already 10 years old but it was in great condition. It served our traveling needs for four years. When retirement was within site we purchased the coach we have now (also used) and it will serve us until we come off the road. It has everything we need and we really enjoy the 5-6 months a year that we spend in it. Oh and what's really nice is it's PAID FOR.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Bought my 2002 Monaco Windsor in December 2003. Been paying on it and living in it since then. Should have it paid off in another 10 years.

No plans to change as I have customized this coach to exactly the way I want it. Besides, to purchase a decent quality coach today takes a half million dollars or more. They are not what they use to be back in 2002.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:01 AM   #20
Well. My first RV was a new '96, 23' Jayco Eagle 5er. slept in it 7 nights, decided it was too small. Traded it for a 27' Eagle with 1 slide. I bought a 1 ton single wheel truck to pull it with. Slept in it 11 nights, got home one night at 2 in the morning, had to wake the 2 daughters up to put them to bed. Decided a motorhome would be better. So, traded the 5er in for the '97 (new) Jayco, class c 3230 with 1 slide. Had it for 10 years. All this trading with the same dealer, he gave us exactly what we paid for each unit towards the next one. He even bought my truck for what I paid for it (I didn't even buy it from him). Traded the class c in on a new Keystone Challenger 5er with 3 slides. Had it for 5 years, just traded it for a 2000 Southwind gasser, got what I think was a great deal. I can easily have it paid for in 6 months. Save some cash. See how we like the class a. Then start trading up (with cash) till we get just what we want/like.
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #21
I asked this question of an RV dealer after learning that I have negative equity towards a trade. That was a shock, because the last I'd checked, I owed less than what it was worth; now 7 years in to the coach and the tables have turned. So the dealer said if you plan to use your RV for trade in purposes, you can expect the value to start depreciating after 5 years. I, too, thought this 2nd coach would be my last, but my lifestyle has changed significantly.
2014 Thor Tuscany
2010 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Eldora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #22
Thor Owners Club
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
We bought our first RV ...and only so far ...10 years ago. So far we have yet to see one we like better. Sure, there may be a little feature or two we would like to have, but overall we are very happy with our 2003 coach.
This sounds like us We are on our first RV, dh calls it our starter RV, but even through all the looking before and after I haven't seen anything I like as well or better than this one.

So for us it will be when we find something better in about 7-10 years Of course we'll do our usual, he'll want it now and I'll drag my feet as long as possible
- Dori -
gmcwife1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
I read an article a few months back from one of the RV industry magazines that said the average MH ownership is 3-4 years. Interestingly enough, the more expensive the MH, the more often it's ownership changes.
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #24
Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
More money less sense...lol
1999 National Dolphin
1995 Range Rover County SWB.
Sailor, Dickens, Zooki, Koko.
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #25
We bought our very first RV in 2009. It was a 2005 Georgie Boy Landau 35 ft with 3 slides and was gas. We just traded it in on a 2008 Thor Four Winds Mandalay 40G with 25,000 miles. This will be our last Rv. We lucked out with this one because it has everything we wanted in a new RV plus some options we never even thought about. We used the first one to learn what exactly we would want in a new to us coach. I never buy new.
koda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:12 AM   #26
Had a 33' 5er toy-hauler for 10 years and finally got tired of having to unload my sand rail just to have a place to sit down.
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:47 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
When we shopped as prospective full timers, we decided to try to buy our last MH first (because of the costs associated with depreciation). Yes we bought new. Then we did pay a substantial amount down, to avoid being upside down, if something happened during the first couple of years (health...not what we thought...etc). Taking this approach and at our price point, we sought and found MH that pretty much fits everything we wanted and it's hard to see any innovations that would cause us to change. You never know, but taking this approach, I think we're in the coach we'll be in 10-15 years from now, health willing.

Dave and Beth
2015 Cornerstone 45J
Ford F-150 and 2016 Polaris Razor
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote

georgie boy