Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #1

How long between coaches?

Good morning everyone,

Now that we have bought a new to us coach and have a 15 year loan, I plan on being in it a while. When we lived in a house, we moved about every 7 years, but now we can just drive to a new location whenever.

So my question is, how long do most of you keep a coach before selling and buying again? Is staying in one for 10 years considered long? Just kind of curious.

Y Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought our first coach used, a 1995 model. Sold it last year after having it for 7-8 years and bought a 2002 model. Plan to hold this coach for 5-7 years, until retirement. Then likely another good used coach to better meet retirement travel increases, changes and desires.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #3

Purchased a new 2013 Allegro 36 LA in December of 2012. Traded it in on a Phaeton 42 LH in June of this year. So, kept the first MH a total of eight months.
What was I to do? It was almost time for an oil change
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well a Motorhome is certainly not an investment. It is a money pit. Much to my dislike my MH is upside down on my RV value to loan amount. By a lot of money. So I am in no financial place to be swapping RV's period. I plan on keeping mine till I can no longer manage to drive it.
I can manage the monthly payment, fixes and repairs, and upgrades OK. Just can not afford a New RV or even a newer used one cause of the upside down loan. So I will enjoy my RV while I am able.
PS...side note: I am thinking I am not alone here...lots of folks are in the same boat...well unless your really rich.
Stevegd007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y Roadrunner View Post
Good morning everyone,

Now that we have bought a new to us coach and have a 15 year loan, I plan on being in it a while. When we lived in a house, we moved about every 7 years, but now we can just drive to a new location whenever.

So my question is, how long do most of you keep a coach before selling and buying again? Is staying in one for 10 years considered long? Just kind of curious.

Well, there's a very simple answer to this issue. It's MONEY! And, a secondary answer is attitude. If you've got the money, and, don't mind eating the "Ultra-serious" depreciation on these rolling gymnasiums, and just like the newest stuff available, then you change as frequently as you desire, simple.

But, if you're in a situation anything less than the one I just described, then, there's all kinds of variables that dictate time and amount of change. Some are very, very happy with either the new or used unit they've purchased and have kept them for many, many years. Some, find that the ones they've purchased are just not for them. They've seen things in others that might trigger a change.

We've had 4 motor homes since we started RVing/camping/traveling over 25 years ago. The kids were real small when we started so, our first was a '79 Dodge Class C "Four Star" "Bunk house" model. We kept that one for about 3 years and found we needed more room. We sold it and purchased an '89 Ford Class C 27' "Ultra". Kept that one for 11 years. One kid gone, other still goes with us. We sold that one and purchased a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with a single slide and the F-53 Chassis. Kept that one for 7 years. Both kids gone, we changed our requirements and headed for a diesel pusher.

Our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD 2-slide with the C-7 330 HP CAT, is a dream coach. Outstandingly comfortable, ultra exquisite for us, and right at the limit of what we could/can afford. No plans on changing anytime soon.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just got this one paid off last year. It's gonna be a while.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #7

Thanks for the responses! Sounds like an RV is just like a house. If you decide you want something different and can afford it, you change homes.
FIREUP - Your coach is very similar to what we just bought. We feel like this is much nicer than we ever could afford, so plan on keeping this one for a while.
Y Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #8

Well, my last motorhome I ended up "greasy side down" so to speak finance wise. So, when I sold it, I had to pony up some money. My current rig I bought WAY under NADA book. I think if I sold it right now I could make an easy 20 grand. So, I'm watching the NADA intently. When I see that line start to cross where I'm about to lose money, I'm selling and finding another.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
It took us five coach's in six years to find the one( for now) Started with a 21' then 31' class C's then to a 37' Class A gas. Took all that to decide we didn't want gas. Bought a 42' pusher and after determining it was just to big for me to comfortably drive we now have our 38' Allegro Bay FRED. Been real happy for the past year. Expensive learning curve !
Paulandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure the original intent of the thread was to get into financing and being up-side-down, however it's often a factor in when a coach gets traded towards another. We pay cash for good used coaches (buying used avoids that first years larger depreciation and flattens the depreciation curve), and while we are enjoying the current coach make monthly payments into a 'next coach account' so we can pay cash again. We do the same for most major expenditures - cars, home improvements, etc.

I appreciate it's difficult to get into the pay cash mode. We started years ago by making as large a down payments as possible, paying off as soon as possible, and saving towards the next major purchase. After a few iterations and years we got to the point of having all cash to make the initial purchase.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had to do some math, but we have averaged 4 to 5 years per RV. Some a bit shorter, some a bit longer.

We're now full time and our current rolling home is the most expensive we've ever owned. I had anticipated paying it off once we sold our two houses (the main house and our 'cabin' up north), but my financial advisor won't let me - the interest rate we're paying is about 1/3 of what our retirement investments are making.

Our long tern plan is to maybe replace our current coach after 10 years. As of now we're three years in and so far I've not seen anything that would be an improvement over what we have, even if we were at that 10 year mark. Maybe 7 years from now something will pop up?
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #12

Two maybe three trips a year. This one should last me the rest of my life.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #13

There is two choices , first is keep your coach or keep selling. I think it's pretty rare to buy a coach use it a few years and sell it and come close to what you paid for it. Lots of people trade them in and Mr Salesman does his job of making you feel like it all worked out but in reality he blended your loss right into your new payments. I have chosen the other way and keep my RV in a garage , take care of it, etc and try and get my money's worth out of it . All my friends trade in every 3-4 years and always have the latest and greatest RV's. My coach is a 1998 and it still looks near new. I go where they go, I camp where they camp. The industry wants you to chase your tail but I choose not to but that's just my style. Call me a Happy Camper with no payments and title in hand !
Old 10-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
I did not buy a moho to do the keep everybody else in business routine. I bought it period. Will use it, repair as required. When too old, probably dump it. Until then.........

LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgie boy