Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-23-2016, 01:03 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Way too much variability to be meaningful for anyone except each owner of their specific RV and lifestyle.

The spec's on my Fresh tank is 80 gallons. My Grey is 60 gallons and my Black is 40 gallons. However you cannot use ALL 80 gallons of fresh water (there is always some left in the bottom when the water pump starts pulling air) and the black and grey hold more than what they were spec'd at when completely full to the very top. I never go by what my tank monitors indicate.

Bottom-line, with proper conservation, my wife and I can go 7-9 days on the fresh water before needing more. That will not fill up the grey or the black. If I fill up the fresh one more time, usually within a couple of more days the grey will need to be dumped and the black can go 12-14 days before dumping.

We take Navy showers, use a tub for dish washing, never leave the water running on any faucet, and we adjust the water level used for the toilet to its lowest setting which is about one cup of water into the holding bowl and about one quart to flush.

Oh, BTW, we always start out with a FULL fresh water tank. It doesn't mean beans for any decrease in fuel mileage versus having water in case we have a breakdown or travel delays, etc. For the perfectionist it may mean .01 MPG less, who cares.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2016, 01:18 PM   #16
Freightliner Owners Club
Our fresh/grey/black tanks are 95/43/43 gallons (2015 Palazzo 35.1). We dry camped a week at the Florida RV Super Show and left with 2/3 fresh, 1/3 grey and 1/3 black. Collecting the shower water in a bucket until it gets hot helped conserve.

Mike & Sue Jones
Venetian A40, formally Palazzo 35.1
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:10 PM   #17

How Long Can You Go Before Emptying Holding Tanks???

Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
Obviously one of the mastery skills of a dry camper. So that is the big question. How long can you hold off between dump station visits???😕 I have found even in an RV park, if I am conservative with my water, I can make the gray water last a week before emptying and sometimes I only have to empty the black water once a month. Of course I always empty all tanks including fresh water and travel dry weight before I hit the road for my yearly snowbird migrations to save on gas.
Some of you however are seasoned boondockers, so you have mastered the skill down to a science better than any of us. So again how long can you make your holding tanks last before it becomes an absolute crisis if you don't visit the dump station or call the honey wagon service. So please bring your feedback here. I of all people want to learn the art of dry camping. Thank You

Every RV model has different tank sizes, and every RVer has different water use habits.
When you get out boondocking, one tank will "burp" before the other, and you will need to dump both. That's how long you can go.
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:36 PM   #18
Excellent response, since beer is a rental substance .

Our TREK has 80 gallon fresh water and 40 gallon each grey and black tanks. We do of dry camping at autocross events, and our maximum time is 5 days with short showers and other water conservation techniques.

Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Depends on the weather. Hot weather, beer consumption goes up, and so does black water tank level !
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:41 PM   #19
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
It also depends on the toilet(s) installed. Previous RV had standard RV toilets, we could go 9/10 days. This one has two Thetford Tecma electric toilets. They use so much water, our dump time has been cut in half, and sometimes only four days. New is not always better.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:07 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can add a shutoff valve to your dump hose connection point to allow your grey water to flow over to your black water tank and extend the number of days between dumps. One of the best additions I've made to our RV and it cost less than $20.
Steve & Nancy
2005 Itasca Sunrise 33', W20 Chassis, Ultrapower, Henderson Trac Bar
2012 Chevy Captiva Sport AWD, ReadyBrute Elite Tow Bar, Blue Ox Base Plate, Protect-A-Tow
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:14 PM   #21
A lot of variables. Hot versus cold weather. Outside shower or not. Lake to swim in or not. 20 gallon black tank or 40. 40 gallon grey or 60 or more. Do you use campground facilities or not.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #22
So many variables. . .

We usually dump the grey tank every second day, without special efforts at conserving water. We recently went 9 days at a state park with no sewer hookups by conserving, using CG showers and lots of paper plates, plastic forks, and restaurants for dinner.

I’ve gone as long as 4 weeks on black tank with me alone in the woods, and still not full. We most recently went 17 nights on black tank before dumping prior to driving to next destination.

Wayne & Michelle
Hillsboro, WV
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
WNJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:28 PM   #23
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
You can add a shutoff valve to your dump hose connection point to allow your grey water to flow over to your black water tank and extend the number of days between dumps. One of the best additions I've made to our RV and it cost less than $20.
Ditto! It also provides a good way to rinse the black water tank with grey water.

dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:56 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
4 weeks, the wife says never again !!!!! 3 weeks MAX
woodfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:12 AM   #25
Monaco Owners Club
Assuming we're starting with a full tank of fresh water (100 gallons) and empty holding tanks (40 gallon black tank/60 gallon gray tank) - we can go 3 days without any adjustments to our water use habits (a daily shower for each of us, washing dishes with a constant freshwater rinse running, maybe a load of laundry, etc.) We can go 4-5 days with minor adjustments to our habits - cutting out the "running rinse", skipping a shower or two, not doing any laundry, etc. We can stretch to 6-7 days without too much trouble by further reducing the # of showers / taking "navy" showers for those that we do take, dramatically reducing dishwashing (using paper plates, avoiding meals that require much cleanup, etc.), changing our usual "Flush" habits, forgoing laundry, etc.
2012 HR Endeavor 43' DFT, 2012 Jeep Liberty
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:18 AM   #26
It's the formulae C+E-C= TO. Or Consumption + Elimination - Constipation= Total Output.
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:27 PM   #27
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It'd be nice to know how big your tanks are.
While hooked up, I go 3-4 days on black.
If needed we can go a week for both tanks which at that point we'd be out of fresh water anyway.
Rick and Julia
2005 Dolphin 5376, W24, Solid Body Paint, Koni FSD's
2007 Wrangler Unlimited....it follows us everywhere.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:40 PM   #28
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post

Very inquisitive. I have never heard of the extender valve. My only problem?? My tanks are the factory installed. So it's all fitted plumbing. Don't know if installation of such a valve would even be possible on my Motorhome.

cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote