Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #15

Nevermind.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post
Your gen running 24/7; I hope that the campground would probably ask you leave within 12 hours; before everyone else in the campground left to get away from you!

It's a different environment when tailgaiting from traditional "camping". You're parked at a sporting event. Many times we're just in the middle (literally) of a regular paved parking lot, or a big field. Most folks have a Genturi for the generator exhaust to go over the rooflines of the rigs. They have to, the way we get packed in like sardines at some of these places! Not at all like a nice campground, but fun in a different way!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car View Post
It's a different environment when tailgaiting from traditional "camping". You're parked at a sporting event. Many times we're just in the middle (literally) of a regular paved parking lot, or a big field. Most folks have a Genturi for the generator exhaust to go over the rooflines of the rigs. They have to, the way we get packed in like sardines at some of these places! Not at all like a nice campground, but fun in a different way!
Me thinks Stan hasn't seen what tailgating can be. I would say generator noise is one of the more preferable sounds you'll hear. ( I can't find a :wildparty: emoticon)
Old 08-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #18

Quote:
It's a different environment when tailgaiting from traditional "camping".
I was responding to his first question about doing this in a campground.

As for tailgating, I don't understand why anyone needs to run a generator 24/7. When I camp in the Everglades, I only run my generator once for about 2 hours every four days.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
ran my 5500 at Daytona a couple years ago... Fri- Mon...used maybe 1/4 tank. (80 gallon tank).
You definitely need a genturi type exhaust stack
Old 08-12-2013, 05:09 AM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post
I was responding to his first question about doing this in a campground.

As for tailgating, I don't understand why anyone needs to run a generator 24/7. When I camp in the Everglades, I only run my generator once for about 2 hours every four days.
For us, it's to get (and keep!) the coach cool. We went to Darlington SC in the spring, and it was in the high 90s/100s the whole weekend. If we had shut it down at all, the ACs would not have been able to keep up when they were re-powered.

Sometimes other folks come to the events but don't actually go into the events, as well. We've seen spouses and friends that stay behind, sometimes to watch the dogs, watch TV etc. In that kind of heat, you don't stand a chance (especially on the blacktop!) of staying cool, etc if you keep shutting them on/off etc.

We didn't have to do this at the recent Pocono race, however, since its in the mountains, which was nice! Same deal with our Fall events as well. If we're not there (and it's not hot), they are shut off when we're not around.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #21

Quote:
For us, it's to get (and keep!) the coach cool. We went to Darlington SC in the spring, and it was in the high 90s/100s the whole weekend. If we had shut it down at all, the ACs would not have been able to keep up when they were re-powered.
We have had similar temperatures in the Everglades, but only 90 to 95 degrees. With the windows open, and a constant 15 mph wind off of the ocean blowing through the coach, it didn't seem all that bad; and I not very heat tolerant. But since we were in a Park, running a generator for hours at a time didn't seem to be a good option.

But I suppose with those kind of temperatures on blacktop, the heat is radiated as well, which makes it feel a lot hotter. I have no problem in running a generator for hours at a time if we are stuck in a parking lot with lots of other noise.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #22

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
generator

I have an Onan 7000 in my 96 HR--although I havent run it round the clock--I have run it for hours running one or both AC"s--I remember reading the owners manual and it stating 0.8 gallons per hour under LOAD--SO i JUST CALCULATE 1 GALLON/HOUR to be safe and go from there--I live in western NC, born in SC--the "flatlands " of SC are brutal for heat/humidity--I dont think you are harming anything--generators are made for this---read owners manual about fuel consumption/hour--add a little and be cool--thats my advice---Vince
Old 08-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
".....wind off of the ocean blowing through the coach....."

Now, that's my true dream spot to be in for sure!!! I could probably live full time there with an ocean breeze (and view!!)

Old 08-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #24

During Hurricane Gustov we ran for 11 days 24 hr per day with both a/c's running and burnt only 70 gallons of fuel on our 8.0 Onan.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #25

Quote:

What games do you attend? We are Alabama fans. Yes, we are required to have an exhaust stack to start the generator. I guess some folks assume you are always in a campsite.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raist11 View Post

Me thinks Stan hasn't seen what tailgating can be. I would say generator noise is one of the more preferable sounds you'll hear. ( I can't find a :wildparty: emoticon)
Love it!! Best sound ever! That and big BBQ ovens on wheels!! Roll Tide!
Old 08-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=dwbyrd;1686002]What games do you attend? We are Alabama fans. Yes, we are required to have an exhaust stack to start the generator. I guess some folks assume you are always in a campsite.[/

For us, it's NASCAR racing!!