Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2014, 08:01 AM   #211

Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi new to RV'ng. We live in Virginia beach and have 2 Grandkids. Just bought this gas 2004 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 36Ft. with 33,500 miles. The gentleman i purchased it from kept it like new but I should spent more time with him going over the basics:-) Here is an issue maybe because I am just maybe naive'.

So I parked my Rambler in the driveway becasue I ahve my home waste tanks close to the house. I backed up my Rig in the driveway near the garage (almost 45 degrees) and tried flushing the black water tank? Took the waste tank cap off (even with line closed) and waste came out inside enclosure for a second and stopped prior ot me getted the waste line hose attached. Ok, so once attached I pull out he black water valve and nothing comes out? I even put water in the black water tank to flush. Is it because I am on that incline? Hopefully someone can help becasue I am planning for my first camping trip this Friday afternoon :-)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocmmz View Post
Hi new to RV'ng. We live in Virginia beach and have 2 Grandkids. Just bought this gas 2004 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 36Ft. with 33,500 miles. The gentleman i purchased it from kept it like new but I should spent more time with him going over the basics:-) Here is an issue maybe because I am just maybe naive'.

So I parked my Rambler in the driveway becasue I ahve my home waste tanks close to the house. I backed up my Rig in the driveway near the garage (almost 45 degrees) and tried flushing the black water tank? Took the waste tank cap off (even with line closed) and waste came out inside enclosure for a second and stopped prior ot me getted the waste line hose attached. Ok, so once attached I pull out he black water valve and nothing comes out? I even put water in the black water tank to flush. Is it because I am on that incline? Hopefully someone can help becasue I am planning for my first camping trip this Friday afternoon :-)

You have a number of possibilities.
1. The tanks are designed to be dumped when level or nearly so. If it means you have to go somewhere to a dump station, then go for it.
2. The blade valve is not opening even though you pull the handle. Not likely but possible. If the valve body is close to the outlet, put on a protective glove & stick your fingers up there too see if the blade has actually opened. Think of it as a prostate exam for the coach.
3. There is an obstruction of some kind blocking the flow. If this seems likely, get one of the clear 45 degree elbows with a built in hose fitting and hook it up to water pressure with the valve open. May also have to open the toilet valve & stick a hose or a wand down & spray high pressure around the tank. Some recommend dumping a bag of ice cubes & some water in the tank and then driving around to get a sloshing action going to break up any buildup.

Any chance of calling the seller to see if he has any input to the problem.

The seals on one of the blade valves may be failing and that's why you get some waste out when you removed the cap. Cheap fix.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:41 AM   #213

Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi and thanks for the quick response. (new to this stuff)
The seals on one of the blade valves may be failing and that's why you get some waste out when you removed the cap. Cheap fix.
How to fix it is the issue for me?
Old 07-15-2014, 08:53 AM   #214

Quote:
Hi and thanks for the quick response. (new to this stuff)
How to fix it is the issue for me?

There are two of these valves, one 3" and one 1 1/2".

http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T1003...words=valterra

Once you get your tank empty for sure, they are fairly straight forward to replace. I think there are some U Tube videos on the subject.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 07-15-2014, 09:27 AM   #215

Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks Steve, I am just hoping it was some residual from the tank gap to the tank cap. PLus the steep incline must be an issue correct?
thanks
Mike
Old 07-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #216

Quote:
Thanks Steve, I am just hoping it was some residual from the tank gap to the tank cap. PLus the steep incline must be an issue correct?
thanks
Mike

The steep incline is the most likely problem.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 07-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #217

Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks Steve. So how is it driving and living in the huge 40+ rig full time. Some day would like to know the good and not so good issues that you like and struggle with :_)
Old 07-15-2014, 08:36 PM   #218

Monaco Owners Club
2012 HR Vacationer and me and the mrs love it....Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1405474585.972417.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	1,010.5 KB
ID:	68026
Old 07-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #219

Quote:
Thanks Steve. So how is it driving and living in the huge 40+ rig full time. Some day would like to know the good and not so good issues that you like and struggle with :_)

It's a great life. Mostly good, almost no not so good. We've seen a good slice of the country including Alaska during the last 7 years.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 07-16-2014, 04:30 PM   #220

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
One Year On The Road In Our HR Ambassador

Next week marks our one year anniversary of being HR owners and full timers. Our "Ruby" is a 2004 38' PDQ Ambassador and she's a gem.

Just replaced the OEM tires on the front and what a difference that made in her handling. The rear four get replaced next week, so she'll have new shoes for her next long adventure.

We've put 10K miles on her in the last 12 months, and we'll probably double that in the next 12 months.

So far other than routine maintenance...we've had to replace as I mentioned the tires (ten years old), an illuminated rocker switch, toilet gaskets and a porch light bulb.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:44 PM   #221

Glad to hear this. We just purchased a 1998 Holiday Rambler Vacationer. First motorhome. Just took it out for weekend. Had a great time.
Ducky98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:28 AM   #222

Mid Atlantic Campers
Awesome, like you we took the grandkids camping and it our shakedown cruise. She did very well and enjoyed.
The Vacationer seems to be a great model and although an 04 she handles well. We did have some swaying when driving highway, but after installing the air suspension in the back and keeping it between 30-40 psi, drives like a dream -
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #223

Last year I bought a 1997 HR Endeavor 34' built on a Ford F-53 chassis. I'm really enjoying it. It has things here and there I need to do and things here and there I'd like to do, but I haven't had any trouble with it at all. It's a great rig and lots of fun!
Old 07-30-2014, 06:39 PM   #224

Monaco Owners Club
We just got our first class A, a 2005 Admiral 30PDD with 16K miles a couple of months ago and have had two 3-night trips to FL state parks so far. Loving the coach, good size for the two of us (and our 10 lb Schnauzer) and easy to get campsites for a 30 foot. We plan on a trip each month around FL for now and have started to plan a trip out west to include Grand Canyon and Yellowstone in late May '15. HR seems like a very solid unit and have only one problem so far and that is a gas smell from the water heater on the outside of the coach. Dealer (who is GREAT) says he will take a look at it for us. Putting new Hankook tires (6) on next week. It still has the original tires (Michelin). It hurts the wallet to replace tires that only have 16k miles on them and look great, but I know they've aged out. I've learned so much on irv2 just from lurking so I haven't made many posts. Safe travels to all.

Tags
cat diesel, freightliner, holiday rambler, monaco