Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2014, 05:41 PM   #253

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just picked up a 1999 HR Vacationer 36 this past weekend. Bought in NJ and got a PA tag on Monday so now it's in the shop for the PA inspection. So far they found rear shocks are bad. Also the rear sway bar bushing are totally gone so that's going to be replace too. Another issue with the right turn signal and the starter battery tray needs a weld. All in all not too bad.
One thing that's driving me nuts is that I had the generator running for at least a half hour when i looked at it the first time. Had both AC units running too. Now the thing will start for about 8-10 seconds and cut out (sometimes sooner than that). This will drive me nuts until I fix it. Will be changing the sparkplug first although that didn't look too bad to me and previous owner has listed in his notes that plug, filter, oil, were changed back in May.
The fuel tank was over a half tank and I did put a gallon of Seafoam in it for the ride home. Thought this would clear up the generator issue but it's not happening so far.
I will be building a tray/drink holder for the doghouse next week. Those little trays from the factory are worthless.
Learning a LOT from this site so thanks to all of you who have input information in the past!!

Hanging on for the ride!
ukpajf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2014, 09:14 AM   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukpajf View Post
Just picked up a 1999 HR Vacationer 36 this past weekend. Bought in NJ and got a PA tag on Monday so now it's in the shop for the PA inspection. So far they found rear shocks are bad. Also the rear sway bar bushing are totally gone so that's going to be replace too. Another issue with the right turn signal and the starter battery tray needs a weld. All in all not too bad.
One thing that's driving me nuts is that I had the generator running for at least a half hour when i looked at it the first time. Had both AC units running too. Now the thing will start for about 8-10 seconds and cut out (sometimes sooner than that). This will drive me nuts until I fix it. Will be changing the sparkplug first although that didn't look too bad to me and previous owner has listed in his notes that plug, filter, oil, were changed back in May.
The fuel tank was over a half tank and I did put a gallon of Seafoam in it for the ride home. Thought this would clear up the generator issue but it's not happening so far.
I will be building a tray/drink holder for the doghouse next week. Those little trays from the factory are worthless.
Learning a LOT from this site so thanks to all of you who have input information in the past!!
Make sure the fuel filter was replaced as well. If there isn't one, install one. Some setups will not allow the gen to run if the fuel is below a certain level. Gauges may not be accurate, so even though it shows a half tank it may be much lower.

My gas gauge isn't as accurate as the computer which measures fuel consumed...I reset the amount after each fill up leaving myself a 10 gallon reserve so I never run out.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:00 PM   #255

Did you remember to turn off the AC? I did the same thing on mine and found the generator shutting down. I guess the generator needs to warm up for awhile before you put a heavy load on it.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:53 AM   #256

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagesByHawk View Post
Make sure the fuel filter was replaced as well. If there isn't one, install one. Some setups will not allow the gen to run if the fuel is below a certain level. Gauges may not be accurate, so even though it shows a half tank it may be much lower.

My gas gauge isn't as accurate as the computer which measures fuel consumed...I reset the amount after each fill up leaving myself a 10 gallon reserve so I never run out.
Good point on the filter. Previous owner had it written down as something he did in the spring but knowing it has been changed myself would give me peace of mind. I think the fuel gauge is accurate but it may not be so I'll do a fill and check the gen again.

Hanging on for the ride!
Old 10-18-2014, 06:54 AM   #257

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig.sayre View Post
Did you remember to turn off the AC? I did the same thing on mine and found the generator shutting down. I guess the generator needs to warm up for awhile before you put a heavy load on it.
I was thinking the same thing but it does look that the AC is off. I wonder if there is a master shut off near the generator so I can be sure appliances are off before starting.

Hanging on for the ride!
Old 10-19-2014, 08:59 AM   #258

Thought my 96 Holiday Rambler was having generator problems again, first time was fuel pump, good way to check that is get a plastic hose and pump fuel into fuel tank and see if it has air in it. The last time was if your down to a quarter tank the generator is automatically cut off, Filled tank up and that solved that problem, after I called brother to tell me the problem. Sounds like cut off due to fuel being a quarter of a tank.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:09 AM   #259

In 2011 I bought a 1999 vacationer 32CG. When I started to work the bugs out of it, the first thing was the 5500 Onan generator. Problem was the fuel line to the main tank .... weather rotted and pulling air instead of gas. Second thing was the fuel pump was bad. Generator would run a few minutes and quit. Put a 12 gal Aux tank in with the new fuel pump and problem solved. On another subject, the tail lights were very faded and it took me a while to track them down .... 92-94 ford econoline lights are the same. My rt turn signal had a problem too. Was a fuse under and left of the steering wheel. These older Vacationeers are solid rigs, and worth the effort. Good luck with yours. Still got mine and working thru the stuff that pops up occasionally. I've been thru what you are going thru and am somewhat seasoned on this model. If I can help PM me
Old 10-24-2014, 07:08 AM   #260

Mid Atlantic Campers
Need Help Finding Cabin forescent light lens

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdave View Post
just curious how many holiday rambler owners we have here ? also how do you like your coach ? mine is a 97 endeavor wds cat powered ! i love the fact that its paid for ! though i have been doing some tinkering ! would love to hear about your coach !
Good day
3 months ago I purchased a 2004 Holiday Rambler Vacationer with about 33K miles (gas), I paid around 40K for this thing and we have made a few trips already. I need some help here though! I am trying to find forescent light lens for the internal cabin. Most seem to be brittle and some are broke. I called the HR parts store and they cannot seem to help me. Can anyone assist? One note: On the side of the light it has an "ST lighting" logo and so, I went to that site but no luck? If you have an 04 and can assist, HELP HELP HELP please IM me soonest
Thanks All
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:03 AM   #261

Tymefixer

Bought my 1994 Endeavor Cummins powered in Missouri for 34k last November. Replaced drain piping on the slide It had spa pipe that couldn't make the radii and broke. I used 1 1/2 shop vac hose and 2 ferncos ($19.00) and all the toilet gaskets and seals. They were thetford gaskets on a Dometic toilet. The only thing wrong is the generator starts on its own. It's done it twice. Come out and it's running in the yard. Other than that 12 mpg pulling my old Saab convertible on a tote.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:04 PM   #262

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxiboo View Post
In 2011 I bought a 1999 vacationer 32CG. When I started to work the bugs out of it, the first thing was the 5500 Onan generator. Problem was the fuel line to the main tank .... weather rotted and pulling air instead of gas. Second thing was the fuel pump was bad. Generator would run a few minutes and quit. Put a 12 gal Aux tank in with the new fuel pump and problem solved. On another subject, the tail lights were very faded and it took me a while to track them down .... 92-94 ford econoline lights are the same. My rt turn signal had a problem too. Was a fuse under and left of the steering wheel. These older Vacationeers are solid rigs, and worth the effort. Good luck with yours. Still got mine and working thru the stuff that pops up occasionally. I've been thru what you are going thru and am somewhat seasoned on this model. If I can help PM me
Thanks for the tip on the taillights. I had tried the headlight renew kit on the back and although it worked real well on the front, then back didn't look much better.

Hanging on for the ride!
Old 10-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #263

ukpajf,

I found my tail lights on ebay for less than fifty dollars. They shipped free and are first rate. Are DOT and SAE certified. For the pair.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:05 PM   #264

1986 Holiday Rambler Imperial!!

My husband and I just inherited a 1986 Holiday Rambler Imperial with 47,000 miles on it. We have never done the RV thing but decided to give it a try last week and we are smitten!! We love it! Does anyone know where we could get an owner's manual and a wiring diagram?

Thanks!
Bonnie
Old 10-28-2014, 07:59 AM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teachertype View Post
My husband and I just inherited a 1986 Holiday Rambler Imperial with 47,000 miles on it. We have never done the RV thing but decided to give it a try last week and we are smitten!! We love it! Does anyone know where we could get an owner's manual and a wiring diagram?

Thanks!
Bonnie
Simply Google what you're looking for. "1986 Holiday Rambler Imperial Wiring Diagram" came up with lots of resources that might be helpful.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:34 AM   #266

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teac hertype View Post

Thanks!
Bonnie
We own a 1986 Imperial 33 with 43K miles on it. I have full original manuals, what is it you need? Manual is a 3 ring binder full of different manufacturers manuals (i.e. Suburban furnace, Onan generator, etc.) Would be too difficult to copy them all.

Doug

Tags
cat diesel, freightliner, holiday rambler, monaco