Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2017, 10:14 AM   #463

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careinke View Post
Bought a 2004 Holiday Rambler Neptune 36 PDD, Had my first ever drive of a Class A DP (mine) last Friday in rush hour Friday afternoon traffic during a thunderstorm. Thank you, You Tube for the ground school! Made the trip with no problems!

We are going through a major downsize, and this has been a life long dream for both of us. The numbers finally worked (with SS), so we took the plunge.

Any ideas for empty parking lots to practice???
Something you should practice is 'pulling away from gas pumps'.
What my friends warned me about when I started out was how far the rear end of the motor home swung around when making a turn. You have to remember to pull straight away until you fully clear the pumps. No big deal in a car, but on a MH, you usually have 10 to 12 feet behind the rear wheels that will swing left when you are turning right. Many people have messed up the side when doing this, and that's $,$$$ if not $$,$$$.

Here is another thread that may help:
Simple way to back your motorhome into your garage safely

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2017, 12:44 PM   #464

Have a 2009 holiday rambler scepter 42pdq with 85,000 miles on it. Thinking about trading it in and getting a new one because of mileage. Any suggestions??

No major issues with the motor home just I feel it's getting old and still has some resale value in it.

Triplec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:06 PM   #465

2003 Alumascape Newbie!

Is anyone familiar with the 2003 Alumascape or a similar model?? I have a specific question about the septic valves.

My husband and I are completely new to owning a camper, and we recently bought a 2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape. I've read through the manual on specific things we need to know about, but I still need some help.

Basically, we had a huge problem today. We needed to empty one of our grey water tanks, which was reading "full". We purchased a new Rhino Flex hose and I was excited to do the thing! Unfortunately, even after referring to the manual numerous times, I somehow missed that the black water valve was stuck in the open position, and a mess of nastiness dumped out when I opened the cap to attach the hose.

There are three valves on this model, two grey water and one black water. I'm positive the black water is the one stuck open. It is pulled out all the way and will not budge. I can't seem to find any info on this particular camper and have no idea about what I should do. Luckily, we hadn't been using the camper for more than a few days, so the black water tank wasn't very full.

Thanks for reading and helping out a total newbie!

~Sarah
Old 06-14-2017, 06:56 AM   #466

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCNewbie View Post
Is anyone familiar with the 2003 Alumascape or a similar model?? I have a specific question about the septic valves.

My husband and I are completely new to owning a camper, and we recently bought a 2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape. I've read through the manual on specific things we need to know about, but I still need some help.

Basically, we had a huge problem today. We needed to empty one of our grey water tanks, which was reading "full". We purchased a new Rhino Flex hose and I was excited to do the thing! Unfortunately, even after referring to the manual numerous times, I somehow missed that the black water valve was stuck in the open position, and a mess of nastiness dumped out when I opened the cap to attach the hose.

There are three valves on this model, two grey water and one black water. I'm positive the black water is the one stuck open. It is pulled out all the way and will not budge. I can't seem to find any info on this particular camper and have no idea about what I should do. Luckily, we hadn't been using the camper for more than a few days, so the black water tank wasn't very full.

Thanks for reading and helping out a total newbie!

~Sarah

Sarah,

I'm not familiar with your particular RV, but the basics of these valves are very similar. I'm guessing that the stuck valve is a remote valve and it's operated by a cable that pulls and pushes on the actual valve that is up under the RV. This cable is most likely where your problem is.

Someone needs to slide up under the RV and look over the valve itself. There will be a way to unhook the cable and operate the valve by hand. The valve will be all plastic and although they can get stiff, I've need seen one completely frozen. You can tell which is the black at the valve because the pipe coming from the tank to the valve will be 3" in diameter and the gray tank pipes will be 1 1/2" or 2".

Good luck.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:30 PM   #467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triplec View Post
Have a 2009 holiday rambler scepter 42pdq with 85,000 miles on it. Thinking about trading it in and getting a new one because of mileage. Any suggestions??

No major issues with the motor home just I feel it's getting old and still has some resale value in it.
Its not even broken in yet. If the interior is feeling a little dated, why not just do some remodeling and spruce it up a bit. You'll probably find, newer ain't necessarily better and it will no doubt be more expensive too.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:04 PM   #468

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question I just bought a 2003 H/R

I took a test ride in my H/R today. It has 29,000 miles and everything seems to be in perfect condition except for the cruise control. The owner that I am buying it from said that the mechanic told him that to fix it would require removing the wiring harness, so he opted not to fix it. I will look into that problem later. He also told me that he was told not to use Overdrive because it would eventually wear a flat spot on the drive shaft. His anyone ever heard of this problem? It doesn't seem likely that they would have designed the drive train with this kind of issue.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:26 AM   #469

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion65 View Post
I took a test ride in my H/R today. It has 29,000 miles and everything seems to be in perfect condition except for the cruise control. The owner that I am buying it from said that the mechanic told him that to fix it would require removing the wiring harness, so he opted not to fix it. I will look into that problem later. He also told me that he was told not to use Overdrive because it would eventually wear a flat spot on the drive shaft. His anyone ever heard of this problem? It doesn't seem likely that they would have designed the drive train with this kind of issue.
Sounds like the owner is trying to blow smoke up your a$$! Total Bullcrap!
I would not buy from a owner that lied like that! Run! Sorry, JMHO!
Rail!
Old 07-11-2017, 05:31 PM   #470

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion65 View Post
... The owner that I am buying it from said that the mechanic told him that to fix it would require removing the wiring harness, so he opted not to fix it. I will look into that problem later.
This sounds fishy as all hell to me... (Yes, I'm an electrical kind of guy.) I'd have someone who knows what they are doing diagnose the problem and get it fixed.

[QUOTE=Scorpion65;3692903]He also told me that he was told not to use Overdrive because it would eventually wear a flat spot on the drive shaft. His anyone ever heard of this problem? It doesn't seem likely that they would have designed the drive train with this kind of issue.

WTF? Seriously? Someone said that? I'm not sure I'd consider that coach after hearing that pair of stories. So he's put 29K miles on it without using overdrive? What else has he done wrong?
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:15 PM   #471

HR Endeavor 38ft freightliner pusher

Enjoying hr for most part but it rides like a log wagon. Changed ride height and tire air from 108 down to 85 can tell no difference it has 4bag air not 6. Will try anything
slowdown
Old 07-12-2017, 04:22 PM   #472

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdown View Post
Enjoying hr for most part but it rides like a log wagon. Changed ride height and tire air from 108 down to 85 can tell no difference it has 4bag air not 6. Will try anything
slowdown

I like to say that mine steers like a sailboat. It's the last year on the Freightliner chassis instead of the later Roadmaster. Nothing to write home about, for sure but parts are readily available and it gets us to the campground.
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:55 PM   #473

Just bought a '83 HR Ambassador 30

Second day of ownership and of course I have a ton of questions
Old 09-29-2017, 07:27 PM   #474

Looking for a wiring diagram for a 1999 holiday rambler imperial. RV. Looking to wire the fan switch at the resistor. Four connections. Looks like the original wires are red red orange and brown.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:48 PM   #475

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
I like to say that mine steers like a sailboat. It's the last year on the Freightliner chassis instead of the later Roadmaster. Nothing to write home about, for sure but parts are readily available and it gets us to the campground.
I thought our Endeavor handled great for what it was, even though it was on the 4 bag Freightliner chassis. About the only time we ever get uncomfortable is going across 80 through the Badlands. Everyone gets their clock cleaned there. Even the semis.

If this is after 10k miles of seat time/experience in your rig, try filling the water tank on days you know there will be a stiff cross wind. That seemed to settle our rig right down by changing the weight distribution forward a little.

If less experience, consider the fact you're much higher up off the surface of the road when driving. Geometry will show that chassis movements your butt feels at this height would be simply dismissed at a height 1/3 that high, like you might get driving a pickup. Point being, most are correcting when they don't need to (the coach moved, but the tires are tracking right where they were), and then they're over correcting. When flying a plane, it's known as PIO or pilot induced oscillation, usually caused by a nervous operator....
Old 10-09-2017, 10:14 AM   #476

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Wife and I just bought our 2017 Vacationer 36X 2 weeks ago. Just got back from our maiden voyage (a shake down if you will). Now back to the dealer to have several issues taken care of. Other then those we are extremely in love with this coach & the life style.

Tags
cat diesel, freightliner, holiday rambler, monaco