Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2018, 09:57 AM   #71

Monaco Owners Club
I made it from SLC to Charlotte, NC, about 2,000 miles, in 40 hours driving solo, including a 6-hour nap, driving my mom and her rig. Foolish, but a family emergency necessitated expediency. My brother passed the next day.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2018, 11:21 AM   #72

With this many pages of comments I doubt anyone is reading now, but anyway. I took a solo 6000 mile travel trailer road trip with just 67 year old, 100# me, and my way of doing it was go 300-350 miles a day, and rest for a day every third day. If I had had a second driver, I expect we could have done twice that. Only problem being I do like to set up in daylight. I'd often get to my next stop by 2 PM and be a little disappointed that I had not scheduled another 100 miles.
BrassPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:28 PM   #73

Wife and I use to drive truck from mid Ohio to Los Angeles Calif in 42 hours, switching drivers every 5 hours or so and that was stopping in New Mexico for eight hours to get sleep with out the truck moving for a good nights rest, now we RV and don't get paid by the mile so 200 miles at any one time is enough, slow down and enjoy the journey.
Tom mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:53 AM   #74

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
2 drivers...4 hours each (time for other to sleep some) less 2 hours for stops times 55 mph = 1200 miles. I did 1100 recently and then 800 the next day.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:33 PM   #75

A few more miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom mccoy View Post
Wife and I use to drive truck from mid Ohio to Los Angeles Calif in 42 hours, switching drivers every 5 hours or so and that was stopping in New Mexico for eight hours to get sleep with out the truck moving for a good nights rest, now we RV and don't get paid by the mile so 200 miles at any one time is enough, slow down and enjoy the journey.
I think that I would go just a little further but definitely believe that you are on to something. Unless you absotutely must make it 500 miles just stop, drop, and enjoy my friends !!
RV Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:07 AM   #76

Send a message via ICQ to Tananarive Send a message via Skype™ to Tananarive
I've done 700 - 800 in one day by myself.
Tananarive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Poppy View Post
I think that I would go just a little further but definitely believe that you are on to something. Unless you absotutely must make it 500 miles just stop, drop, and enjoy my friends !!
We stopped in between 3:30-4:30 or about 250-300 miles which ever came first we always wanted plenty of time to set up before sunset
Old 12-08-2018, 12:55 PM   #78

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is completely governed by the individual and the driving conditions. I usually go 500 or so miles a day,as the DW doesn't drive our MH. She's not comfortable driving something that big.That is around 10-11 hours on the road,taking into account for gas and leg stretching.Really depends on you.
gvette85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:04 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak View Post
We have found that the average miles traveled including stops for fuel , lunch , pee breaks is 50 miles per hr.. 500 miles =10 hrs .
That too is my method of calculation. It includes fuel stops and rest stops.
Many yesterdays ago , I could drive 700+ miles a day without overdoing things. Then I realized it's not the destination, it's the view along the way.
When DW and I would talk about visiting X, our son would say "ya, I've seen the sign as I drove by, gonna go see that when I retire from truck driving.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:10 PM   #80

Well Gang,
I've always been an advocate of making sure the wife, AND THE KIDS, knew and know how to drive any motorhome we've ever had. I told them all, a long time ago, "What's everyone gonna do if I get hurt or get sick while on a trip"? "We're not gonna sit in the middle of nowhere 'cause none of you know how to handle this Kleenex box on wheels".

So, I taught all of them what they needed to know. And they've all been driving motorhomes ever since, about 20 years worth. Now, as for just the wife and I, we swap seats all the time and we still only cover around 250 - 400 a day. We're retired and don't have to keep a schedule. I like finding camp (where ever that is) at or near about 3:00 in the afternoon. This gives me plenty of time to settle down from even a shorter days drive. We get setup, relax some, watch people and, maybe hit a local restaurant.

No need for sitting behind that wheel for extended periods of time. Not for us anyways.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:24 PM   #81

Last year we traveled with friends for 3 weeks. Going home they left early and did 850 miles in a day. We took our time and did 500 a day. We couldn't see pushing that hard.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:02 AM   #82

The DW and I can basically drive non-stop, except for fuel stops. I pull the longer shifts, since she does not sleep as well underway as I do. Our longest run was Northern VA through the Portal, ND border crossing finally stopping in Estevan, SK a touch over 1700 miles.

Given the choice, we prefer to travel from just after breakfast, to just before dinner, not caring about the mileage. Unfortunately, with four children in school, we don't always have an abundance of time. Sometimes we have to skip whole sections of beautiful countryside in order to have time to enjoy our destination. Hopefully, one day the trip will be the destination!
Old 12-15-2018, 08:17 PM   #83

There are as many ideas about this as there will be posts in the thread. To each his own...

The great thing about a motorhome is that it's so quick and easy to pull over and take a quick 20 minute power nap if you start to get a little sleepy. My wife refuses to drive the RV, so I'm solely responsible for getting us to where we are scheduled to be. With 2 or 3 quick naps in between long stretches of pounding out the miles, we have covered almost 900 miles in a day on several occasions. This is of course all interstate driving, generally across the mid-west or southwest where the terrain is very flat.

For some, driving is a chore, but for me it's an absolute joy, and actually the best thing about RVing... I love watching the countryside go by and I love listening to the hum of the cummins, with sound of the family enjoying themselves behind me.

I have limited time that I can be away from work, so we try to cover as much ground as possible across areas of countryside that doesn't interest us. This has worked well for us and has allowed us to make 4 trips from PA out to the pacific coast and the desert southwest in relatively short periods of time... covering as much as 7500 miles in a 3 week time frame. When we plan a long day, we never book a campground for the night... it's always a walmart or rest area... that way we aren't checking in late and waking up the campground when we rumble in.

If we are checking into a campground, I like to try and have us there by dinner time... perhaps 6:30pm at the latest, but earlier is always better. 3pm is perfect. Just depends on what ground we want to cover each day and what we want to see etc... and whether the campground has a pool that the kids want to visit.

I will say that as I am aging... I tend to want to stop a little sooner than I used to. If we are pressed for time, 700 miles is about the max I really want to cover in a day now. 500 is still pretty easy for me on the interstate. When we are into the scenery... places like 14A over the Bighorns, or Beartooth Pass, we might only go 100 miles in a day so we have time to stop and smell the roses. This method has worked well for us and we've seen much of the country this way... but again... to each his own...

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:58 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tananarive View Post
I've done 700 - 800 in one day by myself.

This is me. I’ll load the kids up and hit the road at 5:00am. They sleep for a good bit of the journey and I drive all day until we reach our destination.

If I’m looking at much over 800 i plan an overnight in between.

Tags
travel