Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2008, 11:22 AM   #1

We're about worn out trying to make our decision about our long awaited purchase of a diesel pusher for our future fulltiming life. We've narrowed our choices down to 2-3 different units - but a question keeps popping up about mileage.

How many miles are too many? 30K, 50, 70K? We've found many later year models (2002-2004) in our price range, but the miles are in the 50+K range.

My theory is that a newer unit with more miles is probably ok as the actual wear/tear on the components that make up the RV will have had less time in service.

Your thoughts and opinions are (as always) appreciated.

Mark
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2008, 11:22 AM   #2

We're about worn out trying to make our decision about our long awaited purchase of a diesel pusher for our future fulltiming life. We've narrowed our choices down to 2-3 different units - but a question keeps popping up about mileage.

How many miles are too many? 30K, 50, 70K? We've found many later year models (2002-2004) in our price range, but the miles are in the 50+K range.

My theory is that a newer unit with more miles is probably ok as the actual wear/tear on the components that make up the RV will have had less time in service.

Your thoughts and opinions are (as always) appreciated.

Mark
Old 03-08-2008, 12:16 PM   #3

I'm sure you'll get as many different opinions as there are coaches...

For chassis issues, i.e. miles, look for a good, consistent maintenance record. Be prepared to spring for new tires and a major engine/chassis maintenance if required. But since these engines are designed for 300K+ if adequately serviced, I wouldn't be put off by 50K on the right coach...

For coach issues, I tend to agree with you: a shorter service life is better. But I would look for an A-1 condition and shy away from something that looks like it hasn't been well taken care of. If from a dealer, ask for a systems warranty...

05 Journey 36G CAT C7
diesellabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:02 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with diesellabs.

On the automotive side confirmed maintenance records (with receipts). If this is the case anything under 100K miles should be no problem. Take the coach for a test drive.

On the coach side buy the floor plan that meets your needs. That is the most important item. You will remember livability a long time. Check out all systems to make sure they work and you know how to opperate them. Fill the water tank and use the water pump. Check for leaks along all water lines. Check the ceiling through out the coach for water marks and repairs. If you have a hydrometer, check the coach batteries. Turn on/off every switch and button.

Lastly get underneath. Look at the front ball joints for cracked/leaking boots. Check the shocks and rear axle for leaks. Do the zerk fittings still have the plastic caps on them? If so, I would question if the chassis has been greased.

If you examine the maintenance log you'll know what maintenance is due and can work that into the deal or get a price reduction.

Lastly, use your nose. Inside and outside nothing should smell out of order. You'll know it if you smell it.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My theory is that a newer unit with more miles is probably ok </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I would agree, as long as you can get the maintenance records to show that regular maintenance has been done, and as long as the generator hours show it has been sufficiently used/exercised. I would be cautious about a newer unit with few miles, as that would indicate to me a unit that has not be used enough to keep systems "exercised," AND, there are likely to be "bugs" that have not yet been discovered and worked out!

We have almost 40k on a 2003 model diesel. It may be getting to the almost broken in point, and I think we almost have all the bugs worked out!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:14 PM   #6

You've been provided good advice in this thread. I would not be afraid of a higher mileage unit, especially a DP, if you can verify it has been well maintained.

The engines and transmission on DP's are designed for several hundred-thousand miles service life.

A gas engine won't have the same service life.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:36 PM   #7

Mileage is 'NOT' a problem as long as the maintenance has been done If the previous owner was a good caretaker you will be OK,

Budget #1

Layout #2 and most important as you cannot 'Change' layout!!!!

Colour, slides in,slides out, sleeping, eating, traveling!!

Lots to think about!!!

Rick
Old 03-08-2008, 06:04 PM   #8

mackerman, you may have seen some of my previous posts where in my signature I show that we have an '04 DSDP. We are just about done wintering here in AZ where we have been parked for 5 months as we have done the last 3 winters and yet we still have managed to crank out 56,000 miles. Frankly, I don't think our coach has ever run any better. What ever you choose to do you will need to religously follow the manufacturers service recomendations, Ken..
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have 54,000 miles on our DP and it runs like a top. It is maintained according to the book. We bought this one when it was 3 yrs old and previous owner had careful maintenance records. I'd not hesitate to purchase another well-maintained used DP. Check them out thoroughly, get a car-fax report, take your time looking since there are many out there from which to choose.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:43 AM   #10

Aside from abuse from not being maintained, I would be more concerned about the hosue side than the engine/chassis.

That is leaks, tanks, etc.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:07 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Our coach had 50K miles on it when we bought it 2 1/2 years ago. We've since added another 20K miles (traveled to far that first year). That engine just keeps purring along. The original owners maintenance log was in the coach when we looked at it. We've followed approximately the same schedule for maintenance with the exception of adding a second fuel filter - - he seemed to just wait for the Stop Engine Light to come on and then replaced the fuel filter! This happened about every 10K miles. A Cummins tech recommended the second filter (we had the light come on once!), and we have never had the problem again. We did do the complete change of all fluids and a couple of months ago changed out the belts. But those are normal items that you budget for (we set aside money each month for maintenance and repairs) just like you do for tires, batteries, etc.

I wish we had done a better inspection underneath as the previous owner had used the coach for ski trips on salted roads, and not done a good job of keeping the underside washed down. The radiator, while still fine with no leaks, was going to go so we replaced it 6 months after purchasing the unit as I didn't want to break down going over a mountain pass. Also pay attention to the condition of hoses, etc. Not that they will be in pristine condition, but you do need to realize they have to be replaced and it is better to replace early than have to replace when they give way!

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:33 AM   #12

The roof is also a major concern also, climb up there if you can and inspect it for damage, such as gashes or previously repaired spots. Low hanging limbs can do lots of damage that you would not know about until you start seeing water stains inside the coach.
Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote