Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2005, 04:58 AM   #15

The only reason I bought the 50 amp portable instead of the hard wired model is so I wouldn't have to make an appointment to have it installed. Now I am wondering if the portable is the better choice. If I do get a surge and fry the board while on a trip, I would be able to continue on without it, until I got the board replaced. What happens if you fry the hard mounted model? Does that mean that you will have no way to hook to shore power until you get it fixed?

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2005, 05:32 AM   #16

My understanding is that the TRC surge protector is not really a "sacrificial" device. That is, it can withstand surges and prevents damage to the coach. It resets itself. Altho I'm sure there is a limit as to what it can withstand. Perhaps a big lightning bolt directly on your campsite power post would fry it...
Old 02-16-2005, 01:55 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Been using the 50 amp portable Surge Guard for several years now and can say that it has saved our stuff at least twice. I highly recommend them too.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 04:41 AM   #18

We bought an RV Surge Guard hardwired 50 AMP and it has saved our "bacon" and detected misswired services at least 8 times we are aware of count low and high voltages. Should be standard on all rv's.

and a Bob Tail Cat
Richard and Babs and a Bob Tail Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:34 AM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Should be standard on all rv's. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:30 AM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Should be standard on all rv's. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree 100%

Bruce
Old 02-16-2005, 02:02 PM   #21

Hey everyone, This post just jogged my gray matter (note I didn't say memory--don't have one of those). I put one of the surge protectors in my 1999 HR Vacationer myself that I picked-up at the FMCA rally. Loved it. But I left in on the unit I traded. Now I have a new 2004 HR Vacationer with the EMS already installed. However, it does not tell me anything except the amps being used. Does anyone know what kind of protection the EMS (mounted inside the unit on the wall) provides.? I remember we stayed in a COE park in GA several years ago in our 1999 unit and it saved a lot of stuff for us since it kept going off and on due to the lighting strikes. Also in Tenn it told me the wires on the supply line was installed wrong and would not let me use the electric. Do I need to get another surge guard? Or will the EMS do the trick. We'll be going to the FMCA Rally in Perry GA next month s/Toby
Old 02-16-2005, 05:40 PM   #22

Ok. I am ready to do something. My rig is 30amp. I looked at the CW site and there are two portable units listed. One sells for a $89 and the other for around $300. Reading the descriptions they both do the same thing...but I know I am missing something.
Can anyone tell me what benefits I get for the extra $$$$.

Thanks,

Wolfgang
Old 02-17-2005, 01:58 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Toby, your EMS (energy management system) is probably only designed to shed any heavy loads so you do not trip the main breaker on the pedastal when you may exceed the amperage rating. If you could supply the technical specifications of the system, I could review it to be sure that I am correct in this assumption.

Wolfgang, you too would want to compare the specifications. I doubt that the $89 version can do the same as the Surge Guard.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:43 AM   #24

Tnx Mike
I'll go out and get the info from the MH. I know I should have removed the other electrical management unit from my old MH. Oh well, Keep the economic trend going (spend). s/Toby
Old 02-17-2005, 05:34 PM   #25

Mike
Got out my book and am still "confuzzed."
It says it determines the avail power 30 or 50 amp or gen power. Then it determines if there is not enough power, if not, it will eliminate 6 different loads startng with the HW tank and go on down the list. It goes on to say if 120 volts is not avail, the system shuts off. It says nothing about surge or low/high voltage except that it determines if 120volts are avail. I can tell, I need to find a Monaco Rep at the ralley.
I liked my old unit. It told me how much volts was on each leg and how many amps I was pulling. It also would cut off below 115 volts and above 130 volts ( think these were the cut off values) Plus it had a high surge protection rating. It continiously monitored the voltage and amps with constant displays, plus an error code. s/Toby
Old 02-17-2005, 07:22 PM   #26

Freightliner Owners Club
I use the TRC Surgeguard, hard wired 50 amp. It does not have the readout for amps, etc but uses led lights for line 1 & 2, caution and power. It has a keyed bypass for operating when an under or overvoltage exists. It still provides surge protection in bypass. The instructions allow you to bypass if necessary for "resistive" loads (lighting etc) but cautions all inductive loads (motors, refers, electronics etc) should be turned off. The unit also provides reverse polarity protection. It does work, would not accept power from pedestal which measured 96 volts. It was simple to hard wire and the 1st unit I had chattered (cycled)in temps below 20 deg. Warranty replacement through TRC was absolutly no hassle even though the problem had never come up before. (or since) Nothing in the circuitry is temperature sensitive. It has a 2 minute time delay if it does drop power to protect the Air Cond compressor. I installed the unit AFTER I had a lot of damage from lightning hitting about 30 ft from the MH.
I don't believe anything will stop a direct strike but the surge protectors can stop a lot of potential problems.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 03:55 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Toby,
Your EMS is not a surge protector. It is a load management system, not a protection system, and is designed to help you operate conveniently when only 30 or less amps are available. I don't think it is a brown-out protector either, but I suppose it might shut down if the voltage is too low. "Too low" should be about 106 volts, so I think the part about shutting down if no 120 means simply that the system works only when AC power is available.

When it talks about "not enough power", it means amperage, rather than voltage. If your rig is demanding more AC amps than is available from the shore line or genset, the EMS shuts down selected appliances until demand gets back in line with available power (amps).

If you feel you need a surge protector, you wil have to buy one like your previous unit.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 02:22 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Toby, there you have it. Explained about as well as anyone could. I would recommend you add a Surge Guard unit to your MH and you will have the best in both EMS and incoming power monitoring/protection needed.