Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2005, 03:03 PM   #29

Gary and Mike
Many tnx. After reading the info in my book I Though something was not right since it never mentions surge. Oh well, I'll have to get another. My space where my electrical wire comes out of the box is not very roomy, so I'll have to figure out where to hard wire it. Again tnx. I like this board. Nice foks. s/Toby
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2005, 03:43 PM   #30

Hi Guys,

Check this out. I think that the EMS does protect against SURGES as well!

Clint

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....S&Category=106
Old 02-19-2005, 04:35 PM   #31

Is this the same EMS that you are all discussing? Sorry if not?

Clint
Old 02-20-2005, 02:15 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Clint, the EMS equipment you provided the link to is not the exact brand name we were discussing as the "Surge Guard" by TRC but is very similar in its protection of the electrical power allowed through the unit. Up until now I have always associated EMS with an industry (electrical) of monitoring the amperage of a unit or building and this equipment would shut down some pieces of the load such as air cond., water heaters, or even more in buildings. Now I see a company using the words Electrical Management System as a name. I will need to be careful in not wrongly associating the name to an industry term. Thank you for pointing this out to us.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 10:59 AM   #33

The unit in my new MH is build-in. Nothing like my old unit that I installed. My old unit is similar to the one in the page you directed me to, except it was a build-in model. Maybe they'll have a rep at the FMCA convention next month in Perry GA that I can discuss with. I know I need one for sure. s/Toby
Old 08-24-2016, 08:30 AM   #34

Hello. New user here and new RV owner. We purchased a 2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH. I see this is an older thread, but I have been trying to find which Surge Protector to buy and it lead me here. I see the post Wolf asked about on the different ones, look same but difference in price. I am really new to this and have no clue what is needed, etc. I found a comparision chart and it shows the higher and lower priced SurgeGuards, but I only see a few differences and am not sure which is more important (Ground Fault Shutdown, Reverse Polarity Indication are a few of the differences listed). I have included the link I am looking at and would greatly appreciate which one would be the best to buy. Thanks in advance for your help. We have a 30 amp. Also, not sure if right thread for this, but are the extension cords they sell in 25 ft safe to use? Looking to get one for one place we go that we know need longer cord for, but want to make sure we stay protected. https://www.rvupgradestore.com/rv-su...uide-a/279.htm
MnMmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:01 AM   #35

I use the Progressive Industries EMS. It comes in 50 and 30 amp, and hard wired or portable. Has a lifetime warranty and provides protection for all power problems not just surge. Seems to be the most used and recommended. Costs but cheaper than new appliances or worse.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:25 AM   #36

Answering this old thread, we don't use a surge protector. In my case, we don't have much to ruin if a surge/low/over voltage event occurred. The converter, TV, AC, and microwave are about the only things we have to worry about. We've been RVing for 30 plus years and have never lost anything due to this. (i probably just jinxed myself, oh well)

I look at it this way,,, we have more electronics, tvs, appliances in our residential home that aren't on any kind of protector. I know there's always a chance of a lightening strike, surge, or power delivery problem that can damage something but honestly, i can't remember ever losing anything in all the years i've had my own house..
Old 08-24-2016, 11:45 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Answering this old thread, we don't use a surge protector. In my case, we don't have much to ruin if a surge/low/over voltage event occurred. The converter, TV, AC, and microwave are about the only things we have to worry about. We've been RVing for 30 plus years and have never lost anything due to this. (i probably just jinxed myself, oh well)

I look at it this way,,, we have more electronics, tvs, appliances in our residential home that aren't on any kind of protector. I know there's always a chance of a lightening strike, surge, or power delivery problem that can damage something but honestly, i can't remember ever losing anything in all the years i've had my own house..
The difference between your home and a campground is your home when built had the electrical inspected and it stays the same, where a campground often has had repairs made to the posts and depending on who did the work may or may not meet code. As for which one to get, I believe the Progressive Dynamics to be the best. Jmo

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:35 PM   #38

Would this one work for what I need? There are so many different ones. There is a more expensive one that is out of stock ($300). So I am not sure if this one is ideal or not. Thanks for the help. Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea
MnMmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:38 PM   #39
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarry View Post
Just curious as to how many of you use a surge protector to protect the circuitry & appliances in your motor home? If you do use one, is it hardwired or portable?

Simply put, EVERYBODY THAT'S SMART! We use the Progressive Industries HW50C EMS that protects against everything! Wouldn't leave home without it!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:47 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Starting tomorrow, I'll be using a surge suppressor. A month ago, I plugged in at Deer Creek State Park in Utah, and the transfer switch hasn't been the same since. Found a surge suppressor, new in the box for 250. Cheap insurance. (They bought a 50 amp thinking it was better than the 30 amp, then realized they could not use it on their 30 amp rig. No returns on electrical.)
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:52 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnMmom View Post
Would this one work for what I need? There are so many different ones. There is a more expensive one that is out of stock ($300). So I am not sure if this one is ideal or not. Thanks for the help. Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

This one has surge/spike protection but only reports other problems and doesn't cut power to the RV when these are detected. The Progressive EMS models cut power to the coach when these problems are detected.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:53 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
We use Progressive Ind. EMS 50amp hard wired. Transferred it from our fifth wheel to the new motorhome. Wouldn't be without one.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote