Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2016, 11:56 AM   #57

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Progressive hardwired, TRC hanging on the CG tower. I learned the hard way, melted BUSS neutral bar and ATS wiring at a Jellystone CG in PA with our last coach. NEVER AGAIN.
Just in case you were wondering why 2. The coach was prewired with one but we didn't know and the dealer told me it wasn't, I found it after the fact.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2016, 01:03 PM   #58

Don't leave anywhere without it, so you don't Arrive anywhere without it!!!

Progressive 50Amp Hardwired below and lightning arresters and surge protectors for Solar-system up Top!!!!

Would not do it any other way, and recommend you don't either!

Regards,

Ed
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:21 PM   #59

Just a quick comment. Nothing wrong with using a surge protector to be safe. A lot of people say that all the newer electronic equipment is more sensitive than ever.

I disagree. Read the labels, voltage and frequency ranges are higher and the technology used is more rugged than ever in order to increase reliability. The problem is unknown power issues occasionally found in campgrounds.

My opinion is based on my degree in electrical engineering and experience working for one of the largest electronics companies in the world.
ChasWray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:37 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwray View Post
Just a quick comment. Nothing wrong with using a surge protector to be safe. A lot of people say that all the newer electronic equipment is more sensitive than ever.

I disagree. Read the labels, voltage and frequency ranges are higher and the technology used is more rugged than ever in order to increase reliability. The problem is unknown power issues occasionally found in campgrounds.

My opinion is based on my degree in electrical engineering and experience working for one of the largest electronics companies in the world.
I totally agree, I have seen some Crazy Crap in some Camp Sites and have run Computers and Microwaves on Modified wave inverters (you're not supposed to do that) for long periods and pushed the limits on low voltages and high ones and never had any serious damage BUT Tomorrow could be the day if you're unlucky and get a spike or Lord knows what????

Regards,

ED
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:16 AM   #61

I use this and move it from rv to rv.

mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:38 PM   #62

I purchased a portable 30 amp and a 50 amp surge and circuit protector. After an outage there is a 3 minute delay before power is restored to the RV because it is not uncommon in a an outage for the power to go on and off which could harm the AC compressors. They also check for reverse polarity which is also not uncommon. They display voltage and amperage. I chose portable so they can be replaced more easily if they malfunction and if necessary can still get power without using them. Got the lock as well although it is plastic. They do sometimes lay on the ground due to the extra length.
Catch14me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:17 PM   #63

progressive industries hardwired 50 amp. have used the digital display of amps used to help learn how much power various devices actually use. it has shut down due to low voltage a couple of times. also, people say it is expensive. search the internet and the prices are all over the place. got one for under $300. and there is value in their tech support. I found it to be exceptional responsive. how many tech support sites list a 24/7 emergency phone number to call? and they have shipped a replacement part at no charge. but the display is mounted in the battery compartment but my to do list has an item to mount a second display inside the trailer.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:29 PM   #64

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Like Cover Dog I use a EMS 50 Amp hardwired unit. It has save my but a few times. I like the heardwired version because its always in the circuit and out of sight of folks who might like a cheap unit. This was one the first mods I did to the RV.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:37 PM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Progressive Ind. HWC 50 amp EMS. First thing I bought for the new coach.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:52 PM   #66

Just curious, if the hard wired circuit protector fails is there a by pass or are you without power until replaced or repaired?
Catch14me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:28 AM   #67

Newmar Owners Club
There is a bypass.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:54 AM   #68

A bypass ? How will that protect you.
Does it check things out and say it's OK to bypass ? Or do you bypass it and watch for the microwave to display 6 smoking Xs.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:56 AM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
It won't protect you. It's there to provide power in extremis.

*edit* I had to look it up. In bypass mode, it still provides protection against surges, but all other functions are disabled.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:09 AM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
The bypass works like this:
You go to the campground manager and say "What the heck? Your post smoked my surge supressor."
He calls AmyHour Service and they fix the post.
You bypass and plug in. And yes, you have no protection.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote