Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2011, 06:41 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How much asphalt for a 10 ton motorhome?

I am guessing 4 inch min?

10 to 11 tons is what my weight will be.. I am 19,200 empty.

ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2011, 07:57 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure if you are talking about driving on or parking on. I had my driveway paved a year ago with 3" and 12' wide. Looks as good today as the day it was put in. It is 1,750 feel long. I park on concrete. I am 38,700 pounds.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How much asphalt for a 10 ton motor home.. NONE.. Use concete 4-6 Inches. with Rebar.. The thicker the less likely to have an issue.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
4in to 5in thick is ok, only if you have a good base under it. stone at least 6 in thick or more ,compacted. I would park motorhome on 3/4 thick plywood 1st year, if you choose to use asphalt (takes long time to cool and cure). Concrete is better, nowdays most asphalt is made with recycled materials. Not as tough as years ago. Be sure you use a top notch asphalt company if you must use asphalt. I know, I have worked in asphalt bus. for 35 yrs. I also highly recommend concrete. good luck.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:02 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
I was in paving for 6 years before I blew out my back and 2 inches of base plus 1 inch of top coat will do the job but----you need a 6 to 8 inch base fo compacted stone under the blacktop or your just waisting your money. It takes blacktop at least 6 months to completely out gas and be fully cured so it would be wise to park on some 3/4 inch plywood so you don't get ruts in the blacktop for the first season.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Blacktop is fine for driving on but I wouldn't consider lowering my jacks on it. On a hot day yoiu'll leave deivits in the blacktop. Much better to go with concrete for the parking area.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks.. My neighbor knows a really good asphalt guy .. my mom taught one if his kids in school also so it will be a good price.

I have only done concrete work and that was many years ago. We used to use 4 inches of ( I forgot the name of the stuff ) this red crushed rock that was sand size with up to 1 to 2 inch rocks in it and that stuff hardened like rock itself .. I'm in the northeast so not sure if it's a local type rock ... then 4 inches of process. I'm sure I can have him give me a bigger base in that area.
I was trying to cut some cost by having the asphalt put down plus it's in an area that the blacktop may be a better idea which is why I was thinking that way. I have a process stone area I did for longer term parking so this will be more of a place to load and prep for trips. I may not even have to use the jacks or I can put plywood under where they will extend. I can have him lay it out to very little pitch in that area.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
We have a 39 ft. fifth wheel so when we paved a spot for it we paved level from side to side and put a 2 percent slope from front to rear. If you have a coach leveling up from side to side when you park wouldn't be as much of an issue as it is with a 5er. Just be sure to have a good solid stone base under the blacktop or you will be waisting your money. I also put 2 x 8 wood blocks under the jacks to spread the load and prevent the jacks fron sinking into the blacktop. With a little common sense blacktop will work fine but it does take a long time to really completely cure.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #9

dont drip fuel on asfalt, it will melt and leave a hole. I would park on concreet
Old 05-14-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
4,000 PSI concrete with re-bar! 6" thick. Will last a long time!

I can park up to 3 motorhomes in my driveway, nose to tail.

The two trees on the right between the RVs and the house had to go so those are gone as of today. My rig is on the pad in the back. These rigs are 38 footers and there room for 1 more IFO the foreground RV.

Concrete ... don't leave home without it ....

PS: Please note the "Madame Boomer" pink flamingo in the park!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fore the record.. Some bright idiot got the idea to use asphalt to pave the sites in the "A" section of a campground I winter at.. Nice smooth asphalt.. Save where someone parked their big rig and the jacks punched right through the stuff.

This is why I say use Concrete, it don't do that.. Even built up (Tar and gravel) is better than asphalt.

And remember, The guy who pushed you out the 20th story window, It's not his fault that killed you.

The 20 story fall, it's not it's fault either

It's the ASPHALT that did you in.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:59 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Timing

Now that i have my batteries charged up, I just got qoutes this week to replace my driveway.
They are going 20' wide 4" thick. they also going to rebarb and add fiber. With the price of oil now days the price were within a couple of hundred, so i'm going with concrete.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #13

I'm in the trucking biz. When we setup our yard for the trucks we had a concrete strip poured for the landing gear to sit on. You might consider the same for your jacks.

I don't care how thick the asphalt is, jacks will sink on a hot day.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I park on asphalt on my driveway but I never put the jacks down. It's worked so far.