Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2016, 10:09 PM   #43
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
As a salesperson who enjoys what he does.. has a wealth of product knowledge/experience.. and has a consultative sales approach.. I tend to agree with you.. I consider myself a "professional", but I won't stoop to the discount game..

However... I constantly read on this forum.. "Who's the cheapest".. heck, we see people driving/flying across the country to buy from the cheapest... Tell me why I should spend the type of time necessary to answer all your questions, only for you to soak up all my knowledge, and then tell me thanks, but I can buy it cheaper three states over..

What's it worth to have a professional guide you through a purchasing decision?

The reason you don't see many Sales Professionals... its simple.. people are cheap.. they don't appreciate the time it takes to be completely immersed in a profession/product.. to know it every which way, so you can answer any/all questions...

I'm not saying you're that way.. and I think everyone should get a good/fair deal... but thanks to Amazon.. there is no need for a sales person.. just do your own research and sell yourself... that way, you only need to be mad at yourself if you bought something you're not happy about..

Sorry.. sometimes jaded sales person here... I love the process of "selling"... but too often, it's "tell me ALL that you know", and then, give it to me at a price where you don't make any money..

How long do I need to do that before I no longer care to spend the time learning my product when it all boils down to a number ???

Hi Eric,
I appreciate your post from a sales point of view, makes good sense to me. Perhaps we both come from a land that time forgot

Best Regards,
W.D.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2016, 10:31 PM   #44

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Places like home depot do not serve their customers...
Really? I'm still paying on the contract from having the house sided. Should just write them a check and pay it off but they offered me free financing for 24 months, still another 6 months to go!!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:27 PM   #45

That is not home depot serving yiu but their bank...wanting you to miss a payment.

We did same for 2 skids of 4 X 8 flooring for the shop and the washer and drier we got at Lowes but the folks had zero clue about the plywood nor the appliances.

We did our homework and tried to get information from them...zip.

They did not have a data sheet for the plywood...home depot was worse.

Lowes made a package deal and got zero interest and they had to special order the plywood.

Feel sorry for the customer that has no clue about plywood and needs to ask about span certification or weight loading.

Giving good price or financing is only closing the sale.

Making the sale when a customer needs to determine exactly what they need with limited information is when the vendor needs to serve the customer.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:26 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
As a salesperson who enjoys what he does.. has a wealth of product knowledge/experience.. and has a consultative sales approach.. I tend to agree with you.. I consider myself a "professional", but I won't stoop to the discount game..

However... I constantly read on this forum.. "Who's the cheapest".. heck, we see people driving/flying across the country to buy from the cheapest... Tell me why I should spend the type of time necessary to answer all your questions, only for you to soak up all my knowledge, and then tell me thanks, but I can buy it cheaper three states over..

What's it worth to have a professional guide you through a purchasing decision?

The reason you don't see many Sales Professionals... its simple.. people are cheap.. they don't appreciate the time it takes to be completely immersed in a profession/product.. to know it every which way, so you can answer any/all questions...

I'm not saying you're that way.. and I think everyone should get a good/fair deal... but thanks to Amazon.. there is no need for a sales person.. just do your own research and sell yourself... that way, you only need to be mad at yourself if you bought something you're not happy about..

Sorry.. sometimes jaded sales person here... I love the process of "selling"... but too often, it's "tell me ALL that you know", and then, give it to me at a price where you don't make any money..

How long do I need to do that before I no longer care to spend the time learning my product when it all boils down to a number ???

The internet has changed the business model - you aren't competing with those in your city, you are competing with those around the country. In the past the salesman had all the knowledge, now most of it is on the net.

Yes, salesmen have to work harder for the sale - they need to know the product and the competition's price around the country.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:20 PM   #47

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
The internet has changed the business model - you aren't competing with those in your city, you are competing with those around the country. In the past the salesman had all the knowledge, now most of it is on the net.

Yes, salesmen have to work harder for the sale - they need to know the product and the competition's price around the country.
I think this is the new bottom line. People aren't cheap. They're smarter. The internet has not only changed the business model, it's changed the way people think and do business all over the world.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:55 PM   #48

The word cheap is being used here as if it is a bad thing. Are you called cheap if you cannot be coerced into recklessly throwing money away? The issue is not price, but value. More importantly, perceived value.

I see the house-brand milk on the shelf at my local grocery store for $3. Next to it is a name brand jug for $4.50. I will always reach for the house brand if for no other reason than the fact that the name brand has failed to teach me what added value they bring to the table.

My last two visits to HD have been very productive. In both cases, the persons helping me were RVers who had performed exactly the same repair on their RV and could explain how they did it, what product they used and the result. It never occurred to me to check the price on Amazon because I was getting enough added value at HD.

I buy gas at the best GasBuddy.com price because I pull up, swipe my credit card, pump gas, and leave. In general, I perceive no difference in value between one station and the next.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:00 PM   #49

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
I think this is the new bottom line. People aren't cheap. They're smarter. The internet has not only changed the business model, it's changed the way people think and do business all over the world.
Agree 100%...two of the 3 new RV trailers I bought, the internet shopping saved me bunches of $$$. My last purchase after failing to get my local deal to budge one inch on price over a 6 month time frame, I secured a contract 2-1/2 hours away. Cash purchase...Get this, my out of pocket was 50% less ( with trade) than the dealer 20 miles away.

4 years later every time I come into his dealership for RV supplies, the owner gives me a dirty look. He actually confronted me face to face after he found out I bought somewhere else. It was actually very un-professional and embarrassing his tone of voice when he did this. Even after I had bought a RV from him 7 years before.

Just a second point, I'll know in about 5 minutes with talking to a salesperson if I want to continue. Some are either way too pushy, tell you everything you should know, or don't have a clue on what they are selling.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:53 PM   #50

You would think that they (dealers/salespeople) would have the time to stay on top of what the market is doing (via spare time spent on internet), and adjust their pricing to remain competitive?

Do they believe I'm going to make a major purchase from them because I think they're nice guys, without doing any homework? That's bordering on insulting....

We bought a new car recently, one that only has 2 different option packages available. After getting a price from a local dealer, we did some checking and found it pretty easy to figure out what a competitive price looked like. The next day I called the dealer and made an offer, based on pricing I had found on the internet. They would not match the internet offer, so I told them that I would buy from the internet dealer and have the car shipped right to our home. To make this a little shorter, the local dealer agreed to the internet price, plus what it would have cost me to have the car shipped. He was happy, we were happy. He sold a car, and we saved a pretty tidy sum of money.

Bottom line, the local dealer was willing to do what it took to get the job done. Dealers whining because they aren't doing any business need to do a reality check.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:02 PM   #51

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
That is not home depot serving yiu but their bank...wanting you to miss a payment.
So, why does it matter?
We bought the installed siding from Home Depot, if they sold the paper it's no consequence to me. We got the product we contracted for and I'll pay the contract off ahead of time.
That's service.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:07 PM   #52

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
The word cheap is being used here as if it is a bad thing. Are you called cheap if you cannot be coerced into recklessly throwing money away? The issue is not price, but value. More importantly, perceived value.

I see the house-brand milk on the shelf at my local grocery store for $3. Next to it is a name brand jug for $4.50. I will always reach for the house brand if for no other reason than the fact that the name brand has failed to teach me what added value they bring to the table.

My last two visits to HD have been very productive. In both cases, the persons helping me were RVers who had performed exactly the same repair on their RV and could explain how they did it, what product they used and the result. It never occurred to me to check the price on Amazon because I was getting enough added value at HD.

I buy gas at the best GasBuddy.com price because I pull up, swipe my credit card, pump gas, and leave. In general, I perceive no difference in value between one station and the next.
We've been called cheap because we stay for a few hours rest in a Wal*Mart parking lot with a 3/4 million $ MH. But that's OK, the last trip to AZ we parked in a Wal*Mart lot right next to a Prevost!
Old 03-29-2016, 10:21 PM   #53

That is not cheap but using a readily available resource.

Being cheap is buying unsuitable product for a task because it is less expensive than the correct one knowing it is not correct but it costs less.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:04 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
Actually.. the issue is price... it's ALWAYS price...

As I said... I have no issues with being "competitive" in pricing.. I expect my customers to be educated to some degree on what they are looking to purchase and the pricing...

Perceived value is such an interesting term... what is the value to have a knowledgeable salesperson who answers all your questions.. spends all the time necessary to insure the right decision is made... to follow up on all the loose ends/questions... who has spent the time to educate himself on his product, and his competitions ???

Are you willing to let the dealership make 5%, 10%, 15% ??? Is that too much to ask ?? How much should a salesperson make on a $300k RV, assuming the buying "process" could take as much as a year of his time??

Look.. I have NO issue with people wanting to get a good deal.. but a good deal has to come at a cost... there has to be a recognized value in all the salesperson/dealership has done to facilitate the sale.. Unfortunately, all too often on this forum we have read where people have spent a great deal of time with a salesperson, only to shotgun their build sheet to 5-10 other dealerships.. how much investment is there in emailing back a number, verses the local dealership they guy did all his "research" at ??

Hell... I'm guilty of it... during my purchase.. I was dealing with a guy and he was great.. I took up about a complete day of his time.. I wanted to purchase from him and I tried.. I even asked him to "get close" to an offer I got from a dealership many states away... I didn't ask him to match the lowest price.. cause I felt his time, energy, knowledge was worth a couple extra percentage points.. but they wouldn't budge and told me that I would get "taken" if I traveled out to that other dealer.. well, guess what, the deal when off perfectly..

Bottom line to ME... I think if you are lucky enough to find a competent salesperson.. I would hope you give him the benefit of making the deal.. I'm not saying don't do your research.. I'm just saying, maybe paying a couple thousand more is worth his time... but all too often, no one is willing to pay for the service.. instead, they are expecting it for free...

Just remember, you always get EXACTLY what you pay for...

Also.. there is a difference between being "cheap" and being "frugal"...
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:09 AM   #55

Country Coach Owners Club
The salesman would have never had my business from the beginning.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT 525HP engine being pushed by a 2007 Cadillac CTS (4 down)
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:12 PM   #56
HGC

walk away from a deal?

Two sayings that someone once told me:

"Money Talks, BS Walks" and "If they don't like me, they are not my friend".
I was once screwed by a dealer( similar to above). They confused being nice with weakness. Big mistake.
If it happens to me again I am the dumb one. Live and learn, and learn, and learn .............