Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-23-2016, 03:23 AM   #1
How Much Lying And Price Gouging Does It Take For You To Walk Away From An Rv Deal?,

Below is just a little background/rant on what I went through to attempt to buy a toy hauler. It is a bit long but I want to show others RV dealer scams.

I contacted this RV dealer who seems to have a good reputation on an off-road forum. I give him a call and tell him upfront I am a cash buyer, give me a fair reasonable deal and we can do business. I personally donít like to grind sales people down to the last dollar. Be fair with me, I will be fair with you. At any rate, I tell him I know what model I would like and we go back and fourth on a which options to get. BTW, this person was absolutely horrible to get a hold of and to follow up with anything. I sent him the order several times, he either lost it or never cared to reply, his voice mail is always full because he "supposedly" lost the password (this should have been a red flag for me then). He finally received my order gives me a fair price, emails me a purchase agreement. I sign the invoice and send him the deposit in the mail. A few days later, he verifies he receives the check, he said trailer should be ready in March and I am super excited. My order was for a 40 ft, fully loaded toy hauler, almost with every option.

So I do a factory tour of this particular manufacturer the next day and talk to the person in charge of building the units, she mentions I can do minor tweaks on an RV build and that I should submit this "wish list" to the sales rep and she will let me know what she can or cannot do. Well, I do a fair amount of research and send my "wish list" to this sales person. He verifies that he received it and that he will send it to the person in charge and get back to me if they can or cannot do it and how much would it cost. I continually follow up with him (with a text or phone call) up every few weeks (mainly because he seemed flaky and a bit off) to make sure everything is ok and we are on track, each time he reassures me everything is fine. I am still waiting on a price list for these tweaks, if an upgraded TV is $5,000 I don't want it. He tells me they run a tight ship at the factory and everything will be last minute but it will be fine.

Anyways after a very long 3 months of waiting, I get a call from him in 2 weeks ago that the trailer will be ready the next week but that none of the tweaks or "wish list" was done. He tells me he never sent the list. Now keep in mind, we have had actual conversations about feedback from her on these upgrade via him. One in particular was upgrading the outside TV to a larger size; he tells me that the lady at the manufacturing plant said it might decrease the width of the cargo if you want to put a sand rail in it. I told him that is fine, I still would consider it depending on cost as I don't own a sand rail.

He then asks me to email the list again to see if they can do anything. I am very disappointed because most of what he has been telling me has been a lie, most of these changes cannot be done easily after the unit is built, if at all. But he tells me not to worry; the factory can fix most of the issues (another lie). At any rate, I still want the trailer and mainly to get this transaction done, so I said fine. I think I was a bit too easy going with him about this and this is where everything went wrong.

We agree to have his driver meet me the following Friday with the trailer several miles from the factory to do a walk through and that is when I will give him the check. I'm a bit disappointed but I still looking forward to get my new toy hauler. Well I get a call from him that following Monday evening and he says my toy hauler is in Tucson. I ask him why? He told me some story that made absolutely made no sense. Why would anyone needlessly tow a customer's trailer over 450 miles each way if I was supposed to pick it up locally? I live about 60 miles from the factory. He could have called me to make some other arrangements but decided not to. He then tries to divert my attention and say oh the trailer looks so nice; you will be so happy etc. Then he sends me a picture of the interior and it is a completely different color of what I ordered. Now im getting really upset, how incompetent can this person be?! Is he intentionally screwing up my order? I tell him I did not order that color and I absolutely dead set on having that interior color. He said no problem he has another unit in his shop and he will swap out the interiors. He said he will do the work himself. I'm trying to be patient and hold back, my dream trailer is almost here but this kid is beginning to really annoy me!

I had added a rear view camera to the trailer after I gave him the order back in January; he said it will be an additional $200. So now that the trailer is ready I ask him for an updated invoice. Big Mistake! He comes back with an additional $900 added to the invoice. I tell him it should only be $200 and he said no I didn't add the tire upgrade package to the original invoice. I immediately go back home, look at the invoice he sent me and this was already included in the invoice pricing we agreed upon. Now I put my foot down and tell him he is wrong. We go back and fourth, he tells me he isn't making much off this deal I was like fine, I will give you an additional $700 just give me my freaking toy hauler. I am not going to lie; I had trouble sleeping that night.

He texts me back the next morning and says I need to pay his driver $250 for bringing out the trailer from Tucson to Glamis. Again, originally we should have met near the factory in Perris, Ca and there would be no delivery charge. At this point, I had enough. I call him out and ask him how much more money is he going to try to scam out of me! His response was golden; he said "I am just trying to do everything I can to make sure you still make your trip". I told him I was getting fed up with all these added fees and this deal is leaving a very bitter taste in my mouth. Without missing a beat he immediately offered to return my deposit and cancel the deal, which I reluctantly did in a bit of haste. It wasnít the matter of the $250 but it is the fact that I am getting taken advantage of and all these BS little lies were adding up. I reluctantly fell into his trap! I have never seen a refund so quickly offered and issued.

I have everything in texts (which I saved) and I have the invoice which I might later post with names omitted I record all the phone conversations (great App) I might just post those too. But I am truly disgusted by what happened, I lost a few nights sleep over it and I am still VERY upset over it.

There is really no logic to any of his actions, keep in mind this guy has good reviews on the forums (watch out for fake reviews). Maybe he was thinkingI am out of state, he never seen me in person, he can screw me over with no repercussions. I am guessing he had arranged to flip it to someone else because the unit was very nicely optioned with a king bed and never hit their website. Why else would you send a driver from Tucson to Perris, Ca (450 miles each way) only to have to send the trailer back 3 days later? Who knows... BTW I offered to meet his driver in Glamis it would be a 650 mile trip vs. 900 mile trip and make it easier for me as well.

I exhaustedly called one of his competitors after all this went down, they offered same pricing but I have to wait another 3 months or so. I said screw it, I am over it. My old toy hauler will be fine for now as this entire situation turned me off to that brand. Dealing with this sales person was needlessly an immense waste of time, energy, with plenty of stress. It also screwed my vacation plans as well for the next few months.

Sorry for the long extended rant, I had to get it out!

So how much lying and price gouging does it take for you to walk away from a RV deal?

kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2016, 04:01 AM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
I would have walked when the salesperson became unresponsive to your calls, messages, etc...............if you can get out, do it.........there are plenty of fish in the sea..............same goes for trailer sales...................

jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 04:53 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
WOW - IMHO you did the right thing.......cxl the order. You would have never been happy with it.

Some people should never be salesmen - as a former military recruiter I wonder how some "sales" types sleep at night.

In an age where a lot of business is done very impersonal, over the phone, text, online, it is easy to take advantage of people. Just like social media, there are a lot of big shots with wise mouths that wounld't be so big face to face.

And today it is easy to see "dealls" from all over the country.......all tempting.

Angie and I will be updating our RV in a couple years....already looking for that one of a kind deal. But I'll keep it close to home...

I want to be able to put my thumb on a salesman's Adams Apple..........

Again - I know it sucks but you did the right thing. I could ask so many questions but the water is long past under the bridge - but I have to ask one, did you ever speak to the owner of the dealership and tell him the type people who are representing him? And the RV manufacturer, some are concerned with who represents their company.

Take care take a deep breath, and thanks for sharing your story.

Angie & Glenn, and the boss: Haddington the Airedale
2017 Newmar Canyon Star 40', FMCA, NKK - Home based in the Heartland of America: Brownsburg, In 🌽🌽 🏁 Retired Army Sergeant Major
My home town: Brooklyn, New York
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 04:56 AM   #4

Women Do it Better

I would have first looked for a female salesperson to deal with, and if there was one, I would have used her instead of any male. Women just seem to be more responsive and better at keeping track of what needs to be done.

As far as your situation goes, I would have walked at the second sign of lack of attentiveness. I would have given him one chance to make a mistake or make me feel uncomfortable with him, but as soon as it happened again, I would have tried my hardest to either get a different salesperson or cut my ties completely. Who cares about the $250 at this point?

nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:11 AM   #5
Frankly with the details and amount of documentation you've kept I'd call the dealer and salesperson out by name. It's not spite, it's fair warning to others and justly deserved for your time and expense you invested. And I'd certainly share this with the manufacturer so they know how the face to their products treats the end user.

The good news is you will be a far more Davy buyer next time. If possible, I'd make a trip or several to the dealer before slapping my deposit down. I'm really glad we have so many different dealers in my area to choose from
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2014 CRV w/EZ Tow
jondrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:32 AM   #6
Along the lines of what Jondrew says, contact the owner of the dealership and demand he/she make it right. With all of the documentation you say you have, I would think the owner needs to know what is going on. I would mention that members on this forum are wanting to know who the dealer and salesperson is and you didn't want to name names until the owner had a chance to have their say.

BTW, what app are you using to record conversations?

Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:44 AM   #7
To answer your question, like others have mentioned, I would have dropped the deal at the second instance of being ignored and looked at a dealer closer to home.
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:17 AM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I think you cancelled the deal about three months too late. I have very little tolerance for chancery when buying any big ticket items--house, RV, car etc. I walk at the first sign of trouble, not necessarily from the dealer, but from the sales person.
Dennis and Katherine
2000 Monaco Dynasty
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:24 AM   #9
Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I think you cancelled the deal about three months too late. I have very little tolerance for chancery when buying any big ticket items--house, RV, car etc. I walk at the first sign of trouble, not necessarily from the dealer, but from the sales person.
1996 Damon DayBreak 2500 454 P37 Chassis
NRA Benefactor, NRA & OSBI Certified firearms instructor, Retired Electrical Engineering Tech
Lifemember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:06 AM   #10
If a sales person does not "snap to" on a cash sale run!.

No fussing with approvals for financing so just make the sale and they were not interested.

Being located close to the factory one should be able to work with the factory rep to create a factory order sheet with every item exactly as needed to get the order as well as suggestions from their warranty department of preferred dealers that treats their customers well.

From that you could simply email the order to them and ask for factory delivery cash price and be done with it.
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:18 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would repost using their names. Then I would email a link to that post to the owner, sales manager and factory. They need to fix this for the good of their future victims.
2015 Newmar Bay Star 3308
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 Limited
ga80486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:19 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think you should visit the factory and sit with someone there to explain what happened. All kinds of good things could come from this.
Revolution LE 38X C9 Cat
2011 Scion TC toad
1985 KLR 600 as a backup...
krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:31 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow. I would have bailed early on. At this point I would contact the factory for the name of another dealer to work with.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:51 AM   #14
I would of(and did) bailed out of this transaction at the first sign of shenanigans being played. Whether you are a cash buyer, male/female or not you should be treated right. When we bought our current MH we had a deal set up and went to sign the papers, on a different MH. When the GM found out we were paying cash and not financing he tried to raise the price of the MH several thousand dollars. The internet sales guy knew we were paying cash all along. This was after several weeks of dealing with them, numerous test drives of different models and brands. We as well as them had a lot of time invested. After listening to his reasons for about 2 minutes we walked out. Over the next few weeks we had calls from their Corporate Office GM, offering us an even better deal than originally quoted. Never went back, and ended up finding a dealer we could trust and a MH we love.

It took us a little longer than we wanted but in the end it all worked out. Their are good ethical dealers out there you just have to find them. Now you know your expectations were not out of line, when you go out looking again walk away when your expectations are not met. You are the customer and their Dealership cannot survive without customers.

Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote