Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #29

I have become addicted to this site and this thread is an example of why that is so.
We use our MH for only short weekend jaunts so we're not on the road more than a few hours at a time before hooking into AC power again. Perhaps for this reason the content of this thread is of little importance, but I gotta know anyway...Why do many run the fridge on LP while driving as opposed to powering from coach electricity? We have left our Dometic fridge on "Auto". We plug into the house the night before to get the fridge cold..the "Auto" sources the elec, when we unhook and begin our drive it sources from coach batt/elec (pretty sure..but now will have to verify next spring) and when we arrive at CG and hook into AC power it switches over to that. I guess we need to overide "Auto" to select LP? Why would we want to though, if LP is purchased and the coach/elec is "free"?

I'll sit back in my chair around the cyber campfire, sip my beverage and listen to the experienced.
Kountry87Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountry87Air View Post
I have become addicted to this site and this thread is an example of why that is so.
We use our MH for only short weekend jaunts so we're not on the road more than a few hours at a time before hooking into AC power again. Perhaps for this reason the content of this thread is of little importance, but I gotta know anyway...Why do many run the fridge on LP while driving as opposed to powering from coach electricity? We have left our Dometic fridge on "Auto". We plug into the house the night before to get the fridge cold..the "Auto" sources the elec, when we unhook and begin our drive it sources from coach batt/elec (pretty sure..but now will have to verify next spring) and when we arrive at CG and hook into AC power it switches over to that. I guess we need to overide "Auto" to select LP? Why would we want to though, if LP is purchased and the coach/elec is "free"?

I'll sit back in my chair around the cyber campfire, sip my beverage and listen to the experienced.
when set on auto, my norcold switches to propane when there is no ac available from the genny or shore power. my norcold always requires 12v for the control circuit board. without 12v, my fridge will not operate.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #31
KIX

Kountry87. Speaking for myself, the reason we run the reefer on propane is because to have 110vac when moving we would have to run the genset. I'm assuming from your comment that your reefer is powered on AC via the inverter when you are moving. Not all coaches are wired that way. We could change ours to utilize the inverter but should I forget to change over to propane when stopped (i.e. for lunch) the batteries powering the inverter and the reefer will quickly be depleted. It's just more efficient to operate on propane unless genset running or connected to shore power.

West Texas........a 30 pound propane cylinder only has 7.1 gallons on propane when full. Divide 30 by 4.24 (propane pounds per gallon) and the result will be 7.1 pounds.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #32

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
those are big tanks.
My MH has a 37 gallon tank. We run the two LP furnaces off and on Nov - Jan, and WH and refrigerator off and on all year. We normally put 15 gallon or so in the tank in Nov on our way into "winter" in Alabama, and then top it off with 12-15 gallon again in early Feb as we leave Alabama.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:02 AM   #33

Thnks to Dan L and Kix for the feedback..didn't mean to hijack the thread..I will have to wait for Spring I guess to check out just what does happen with ours.
Kountry87Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:22 AM   #34

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by westtexas View Post
Mathematically correct, but tanks are usually measured in pounds, like the typical 20lb tank on a gas grill, or like the 20 or 30lb tank(s) on RVs. Propane weighs about 4lbs per gallon, so a typical 20lb tank would have 5 gallons of propane. I'm betting you meant a 30 POUND tank (typical on an rv), not a 30 GALLON tank. So in your math you would have about 38 days on one 30lb tank. Which is about what mine burns, 1lb/day.
Not necessarily. My tank is 42 Gallons (not pounds). Used about 2/3 of a tank in the last 2 years.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:30 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountry87Air View Post
We plug into the house the night before to get the fridge cold..the "Auto" sources the elec, when we unhook and begin our drive it sources from coach batt/elec (pretty sure..but now will have to verify next spring) and when we arrive at CG and hook into AC power it switches over to that. I guess we need to overide "Auto" to select LP?
Unless you have something different, AUTO selects between AC and Propane. So when you unplug from the house it switches over to LP and back to AC when you plug in at the campground.

TX
westtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:35 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
West Texas........a 30 pound propane cylinder only has 7.1 gallons on propane when full. Divide 30 by 4.24 (propane pounds per gallon) and the result will be 7.1 pounds.
Right, not sure what you are explaining? That's what I said in my original quote, using a 20lb tank as an example. At roughly 4lbs/gallon, a 20lb tank has about 5 gallons, and a 30lb tank has about 7 gallons.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #37

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Well I can tell you're not a member of FMCA.

FMCA just signed up a new advertiser (an insurance company that I won't give a plug for) and they had a multi page advertisement on the dangers associated with rving and one that caught my attention was to never use your refer on propane while traveling or you will most likely burn your rv to the ground. Hogwash!
First to answer the O/P's question.. Not much. I think a 1 pound bottle might well last several days.

Page 2: The above quote:

My position on this is as follows: IF, the fridge has a defect or is not properly cleaned and maintained then it will indeed catch fire and burn your coach to the ground.

NOW: if I'm driving a 100,000 - 500,000dollar house on wheels and I see flames and smoke coming off the house on wheels in front of me am I going to pull right up alonside the flaming side and hang in there till MY RIG is on fire?

NOT ON YOUR LIFE

I will try to get the other guy's attention and if possible pull up on the "Safe" side and holler YOU ARE ON FIRE or something. but it's for sure I'm not going to be on the burning side.

Imagine, that instead of running propane on the road he waited till we are parked next to each other at an FMCA rally, packed in so close you can't put an awning out (Been there done that) and then he turns on the Gas, we both go to the show (The is usually a good evening music performance at those rallys) and while we are enjoying the song.. His 'fridge catches fire, sets my rig on fire, by the time the Fire Dept gets there 2 more are burning. instead of 100-500 in damage, his insurance is now liable for the damage to my rig, and the others.. Perhaps as much as 1-2 MILLION.

Smart of them to say "Do not run gas when driving" isn't it.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #38
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtexas View Post
Right, not sure what you are explaining? That's what I said in my original quote, using a 20lb tank as an example. At roughly 4lbs/gallon, a 20lb tank has about 5 gallons, and a 30lb tank has about 7 gallons.

Here's what I was referring to but I NOW see that you said "twin 30 pounders"

"Wow, those are big tanks. Puts the twin 30 pounders (12 gallons) I have on my travel trailer to shame!

TX"
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:36 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Here's what I was referring to but I NOW see that you said "twin 30 pounders"

"Wow, those are big tanks. Puts the twin 30 pounders (12 gallons) I have on my travel trailer to shame!

TX"
I see what you meant. I also see that I should have said 14 gallons fot two 30lb tanks (7 gallons each).

Anyway, I think we all pretty much agree that an LP fridge will ROUGHLY burn about a pound (or about 1/5th to 1/4th a gallon) per day, giving us a rough idea of how long our fridges can run on our LP onboard.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #40

I know this post is old, yet I wanted to know also and found this. Here's a fridge propane usage chart from a reliable source.

Propane Refrigerator Usage

I hope it helps others, IAN.
imorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by imorton View Post
I know this post is old, yet I wanted to know also and found this. Here's a fridge propane usage chart from a reliable source.

Propane Refrigerator Usage

I hope it helps others, IAN.
i cannot find a propane burn chart in this site.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #42

When you see the "multi-colored chart" have a look for a similar model fridge, and read where it says "gas use"

I hope this helps
imorton is offline   Reply With Quote