Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2014, 09:59 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
We refuse to take our RV to Camping World. We've never had good service there & most full timers we've spoken with feel the same. Even with a break in the deductible we refuse to go there. (And a couple of the guys from the Good Sam EW have told me a lot of people tell them that).

And I never said the dealership had to accept what Good Sam was willing to pay, I said they knew we had Good Sam EW when we brought it in & they weren't willing to submit the invoice so we could at least get what Good Sam was willing to pay. We told them we would pay the difference. If they don't wish to do what Good Sam asks, then they should tell the customer up front, they won't cooperate with them, then the customer can make the choice before they're stuck there for service. This particular dealer kept telling us how wonderful their service plan was, blah, blah blah. They also cancelled our original appointment for warranty work. I think if you were their original customer & had their service plan, you'd be fine. However, that wasn't the case here.

karencollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #16
Commercial Member

everything needs to be discussed with the customer before the repair. not after.
what should have been done is submit the claim to good sam, and notify the customer of the unpaid difference. thats the way most of the service centers i deal with do it.
yes good sam only pays so much, but if this is explained to the customer, its often not a big deal. its just like your doctor, when the insurance doesnt pay all of the bill, even after your copay.
my markup on parts is 40% plus shipping. there is no shipping fairy.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:34 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am not understanding what the parts cost is all about. Your contract with GS warranty says parts and labor will be covered, minus your deductible.

If you and the service shop did not get permission from GS (or their administrator) BEFORE the work begins........that could be the problem.

Am I understanding things correctly?
Old 08-26-2014, 11:19 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
When we took the RV in for service, the dealer called Good Sam with their estimate & good sam told them about the invoice plus 20%. The dealer only told me that Good Sam offered them $500 + for the part. We needed the repair & my husband told them to order it & we would talk to Good Sam. What I found out from a lengthy conversation with Good Sam is that they will only pay the cost of the part plus 20%. Which I don't know when that started because they have paid $900 for 2 other jack repairs. Anyway, when we went back to have the jack installed we asked them to please submit the invoice so we could at least get the 20% added & the dealer refused. That was the part that made me so angry. We weren't saying we wouldn't pay the difference, we just wanted our extra 20% from Good Sam. If they had told us in the beginning they wouldn't cooperate, we wouldn't have worked with them.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:11 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I went to RV (Good Sam Open Roads Forum) and could not tell if you voiced your gripe on their ESP Plan section.

Probably you should do this, direct to Marcus Lemonis, and you might get reimbursed and find a reasonable service center.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:32 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unfortunately this is all too common. It's the ripping off of the unsuspecting customer. Repair shops that charge for parts NOT replaced, procedures done that are NOT needed, and just generally what I call dishonesty. They call it PROFIT.

I've been around the car-biz all my life and in retail sales, and a common saying is to 'charge what the market will bear'. An aggravation factor is also common - if a customer is hard to deal with they get charged extra.

Parts markup can be as much as 3-times the cost. As far as what they 'should' cost, yes the 25-35% markup is considered by most to be 'reasonable'. The word 'should' is kind of a misnomer, it leaves too much up to the discretion of the seller.

This is where the internet has helped so many people, and made retailers so much more honest. Generally it is much more difficult to get away with price gouging these days, but many shops will still try it and they still get away with it.

Do your due diligence, and buyer beware.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:22 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Scooter, I don't really go to the Good Sam's Forum much, but I will post there. Where do you think I should post it?

CJ, I think the hardest part of being a Full timer is finding honest repair shops. Last year we had a Freightliner Shop in Las Vegas tell us we needed all new brakes & drums for the RV. We didn't feel comfortable with their whole operation & took it elsewhere for a second opinion. Turned out we only needed new pads on the front & they could have been ok for awhile, but since the guy had the tires & stuff off any way, we went ahead & replaced them. Since we aren't in the same place for a long time, it's hard to know who the good guys really are. I use the internet a lot, but not everyone posts their feelings about certain repair places. I'm planning to put my comments on about the last one, I was just waiting for them to send me some information.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:08 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Karen, go to RV Forums and then to Extended Service Plan. You will have to register before you can post.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The more technically inclined you can become, and educated on the workings of your vehicles, the better you can prevent the ripoff schemes. I tend to be pretty skeptical about anything anybody says unless they have some hard evidence to back it up. People just think they know what they're talking about. And that's the other issue here, the majority of people involved with these service centers are not that bright - otherwise they would be doing something else. Of course there are master mechanics and sharp people, but the vast majority are not. Most mechanics are what we call R&R men - they can remove and replace - and that's what they get paid to do - by the customer!

At a normal car dealership the service department brings nearly as much profits in as the sales department.

It's a given that there are just certain cars you simply don't want to own out of warranty. The high-end euros tend to fall into this category.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:02 AM   #24

Just had work done at a Caterpillar dealer. Slow learner?? Third time I have been RIPPED TO THE MAX, I had the arm above entry door replaced. I was at the dealer and had the part in my hand. My retail was $80. Having some other work done so decided to let them get the part and put it on. They tried to charge me $238 just for the part? UNBELIEVABLE
Old 08-30-2014, 07:15 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BUTCH View Post
Just had work done at a Caterpillar dealer. Slow learner?? Third time I have been RIPPED TO THE MAX,
I’m not sure I understand the reason why, but “factory authorized” dealers seem to be the worst. When I needed work done on my Spartan chassis I took it to Trans Chicago, the local Spartan dealer. To say I was “less than satisfied” with his integrity would be the understatement of the year. When shops become so big they have people in place to keep customers from talking to the owner, you know their ethics need improvement. In my situation, even the police were unable to dislodge the owner from his lofty perch.
GaryM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:58 AM   #26

Back in the day, I took my Chevy to a high school friend's shop for an engine overhaul.

"How much?" I asked. "$277", says he.

"What if I bring the parts?" I asked. "$277", says he. "I have to make so much on the job, markup is part of that, and I guaranty my parts, not yours!"

I said, "I'll bring it in Monday, and you can use your parts!"

And yes, $277 engine overhaul was a long time ago!

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
markup, parts, repairs