Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-04-2015, 09:07 PM   #15
We only towed the car once this year - BUT we normally go to music festivals and campgrounds for a week at the most. And not more than 200 miles from home.
Sounds like you should have a toad for what you plan. Maybe a scooter or motorcycle if you want it light and easy.

Current RV: 2001 Jayco Eagle Class C 28 ft Ford V10 Triton
Previous RV: 1989 Winnebago Warrior Class C 27 ft Ford V8
dano726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2015, 10:39 PM   #16
Take a Toad as there are so many places to explore that your RV isn't practical. A bike or Segway can work depending on your location but I would hate to lose the practicality and freedom that a car brings in exploring new areas.

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Chiefly1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:02 PM   #17
If you were traveling to an event that was hosted where you park your RV, I could see going without a toad. However if there is any activity that is not at the camp ground, then you really need a toad. using the RV to run errands or drive to an activity is just not practical. The worst part is once you get back from your days activities, you still have to setup camp before you can cook supper. That makes for a very long day.

BTY: I noticed a Jeep in your signature. So you already have a toad. I would suggest looking at Nighshift Auto for your towbar and integrating Ready Brake. It is the least expensive way to get set up. Tons of very satisfied customers.
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD FMCA F298817
502 w/Howell/GM ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows, 4L85E 4 spd, KoniFSD
Daveinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:17 PM   #18
We have a 35' and would not be without our toad. We took a 5200 mile trip last fall and put about another 3000 miles on our toad. We would stop in an area of interest for 2 or 3 nights then use the toad to visit sights, museums or other entertainment up to about a 60 mile radius. We visited beautiful places that simply are not accessible by a 36' MH such a Glacier National Park and parts of Custer State Park in South Dakota.

That said, you might get by with something like a motorcycle or scooter since you are single. We need the car because there are two of us plus a big dog.
coupevilleDF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:54 AM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by Matt_RV View Post
So, wanting to travel Northamerica in an RV, having the time and money next year, I'm currently in the preparation phase of getting all the info available.

As I'm not planning on staying in one place for more than two or three days and after comparing lots of RVs and different types, I came to find that I'll most likely go for a 36ft class A Diesel. Yes, for travelling alone a Class B would probably be an overall more ecoomical decision, but for one thing I'll be expecting guests and for the other I came to find that comparing class As to Bs or Cs, you get more for the money (looking at the 30000USD sector).
Anyway that brings me to my question for you experienced RVers: How necessary is a toad facing your RV being about 36ft?
Is it luxury or an absolute necessity? Do most campgrounds offer transfers to the closest towns at a reasonable price or is that a rare find?
How about riding a bike to town from the campground or BLM land? Are the roads / sideways usually made up for it or will there be a risk of being run over by the next semi?

What are your experiences?
We consider the toad a necessity!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:18 PM   #20
Monaco Owners Club
Unless it's purely a "weekender" to a local campground ... where we know that our activities will be limited to hanging out around the campfire (and are OK with that!) - bringing the toad is a necessity.

I can't imagine heading off for any sort of extended travel without bringing the dingy.
2012 HR Endeavor 43' DFT, 2012 Jeep Liberty
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:32 PM   #21
Monaco Owners Club
We just finished our first year without a toad. Went to Bar Harbor, ME and didn't need one with the shuttle service there, then went to Manitou Springs, CO and rented a car. I didn't want a toad the first year as I wanted to learn to drive the RV without the extra issues that come with a toad. Now that I'm comfortable with the RV, we're getting a toad this winter. Based on your usage, I agree with the posts above, you should have a toad. However, you may want to wait a month until you're comfortable maneuvering the beast. Good luck and sounds like a lot of fun!
Marty and Denise chased by Casey our GR
'06 Monaco Knight 40 PDQ followed by '08 Honda CR-V
MJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:50 PM   #22
Monaco Owners Club
We don't leave home without it.

We enjoy the freedom of taking off once we hit the campground too much.

We see people that travel without toads on occassion but they are more the exception than the rule. I can't speak on how they get around.

Mike & Chrystal/ 2011 Jeep JKUR
Link to our 2003 Monaco Baroness Projects/Mods thread here:
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:08 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
You will be trapped at the campground without a toad - not always -but you will quickly tire of not being able to explore or go out to dinner or groceries especially in poor weather. For us our wrangler is an absolute necessity for having fun with our RV. -jmo mark
08 Dutch Star 4354, 2017 Wrangler JKU w/rv brake2, blue ox tow bars, Rockhard front bumper with tow fittings.
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:54 PM   #24

We've had our 34' gasser for about three years and 30,000 miles all over the West and now the East and Canada.....with no toad.

First year we managed with just bikes and an occasional rental car. Second year we bought a 150cc scooter and put it on the rear of the rig. We still have the bikes and still rent cars from time to time.

There have been many times it would have been more convenient to have a toad, but both our existing cars would require a dolly, trailer or substantial mods to tow four-down. I really don't want yet another vehicle, just for towing. So we make do .... quite well .... with our bikes and the scoot.

Everyone has an opinion if a toad is a necessity or a convenience. Good luck with your choice

Karlos and Dawn
2000 Sea View 8341
Ford F-53 chassis V-10
Karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:18 PM   #25
If you don't want to tow a toad, how about a small to medium size motorcycle on a lift on the back of the MH. You could outfit it with some "bags" to carry stuff.
2000 Monaco Diplomat 40PBD
2012 Grand Cherokee Limited
2008 FatBoy, three spoiled Great Danes and a cat.
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:55 PM   #26

We tried RV'ing without the tow car and rented from Avis or other rentals. That turned out to be a real pain and inconvenience. I suspect if you are in a real big city area it would be OK to rent a car but when you get to rural areas it was not easy for us to get a rental car. The rental location was miles away and they did not have a pick up or deliver service so figuring out how to get to the rental and later getting back to the RV after returning the rental was more hassle than we wanted.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:13 PM   #27
iRV2 No Limits Club
We were out camping and the DW started vomiting blood. It was exactly 51 miles to the ER. Glad we had the towed or we'd have had to come out of the hills to get cell service and no way, other then break camp and drive the MH, to do it! Then we'd have had to wait for the ambulance to get to us. Too long to wait in an emergency.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:38 PM   #28
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We're 11.2 meters long and could easily get the RV anywhere the toad goes, except inside the big cities (been to LA, SanFrancisco, Seattle, SaltLake, Phoenix, Dallas...etc.).

If really breaking camp every 2-3 days and comfortable driving 11m around, you could get away without a toad. But probably will want a bike.

And if you decide to get a toad after starting, it's not too hard to pick-up a dolly and any of thousands of new or used front wheel drive cars - no mods needed to make it work. Or find a flat-towable car from a retiring American RV'er here

Best luck

P.S. A $30,000USD budget is a tough price point for a reliable Diesel motorhome (something that isn't a money pit). Might want to look at petrol powered RV's. They are sold in NorthAmerica at a ratio of 4 gas to every 1 Diesel power RV. Again, Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote