Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2015, 02:21 AM   #29
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you rent a smaller rv such as a C or even a smaller A you can get around well. As for guests, cocktails for 6, dinner for 4, sleeps two.

Many rv parks have cabins so your guest could use one of those or even a local hotel. Renting a monster rv can limit the places you can easily tour.

We never leave home without our toad. Have rented, gone without, but having the peace of mind of having another set of wheels is nice.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2015, 02:55 AM   #30

When we had our larger A's, (40' DP's) we never went anywhere without a Toad, but since we now have a 25' B+ we often do not take a toad. It is so much easier to travel without the toad from a maneuverability perspective. I often throw our bicycles on the hitch and they do come in handy. If you budget is $30K, like others have said, you will be lucky to get something you can count on being trouble free. (But really unless you are handy and have some tools, most any RV will have minor things that crop up and need fixing so not much is really "trouble free"). And you did say you wanted to travel throughout North America and not just the USA so I presume you might be thinking of all three countries. So you will be in a lot of remote areas sometimes, with no cell coverage, so having a backup vehicle helps. We have a SatPhone and that provides good peace of mind. Help is often just a phone call away.

We often don't take either of our toads and it works fine. We have driven our 25' Leisure Van Libero right into cities (without toad) and have found adequate parking in most places and for big cities, one can usually get to a public transit facility and park the RV at the transit point. So many options.

Good luck in you travels whatever way you go.

We travelled around Australia in a rented RV, no toad and it was no problem, in fact it was great. Did have my Satphone though but never used it for any emergency.

Old 10-06-2015, 03:47 AM   #31

If you will be alone you might consider a tadpole instead! ;-)... This can be easily mounted on a rack that sticks into your hitch mount... Great for trips to the store and such... touring in the park sand gets +100mpg!

Old 10-06-2015, 09:47 AM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have done it both ways, with and without. But after we started to bring the car along, we never go without it now.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:36 PM   #33

Wow, I'm amazed at the number of people who answered to this thread. So to sum it up I would say that about 8 of 10 RVers say that the toad is a necessity, about 1 of 10 call it a nice to have and only 1 of ten say that one could live without, but in that case it should be a more maneuverable class B MH.

Personally I'd love to have a toad of course and I also could afford paying the 6000bucks for an old Jeep Cherokee (yes, I really like those). My major problem is that with a tourist visa I'll be limited to 6 months in a year in the US and up to now I got very bad insurance offers... means like I would pay around triple the price a US resident would pay. And that's also the point where the second insurance for the toad starts to hurt.
However depending on the RV I'll find I might go with a class B or get myself a motorcycle and rack for the class A...

However, feel free to PM me with good insurance agent contact data Perhaps I just asked the wrong people up to now

cheers,
Matt
Matt_RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:28 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_RV View Post
Wow, I'm amazed at the number of people who answered to this thread. So to sum it up I would say that about 8 of 10 RVers say that the toad is a necessity, about 1 of 10 call it a nice to have and only 1 of ten say that one could live without, but in that case it should be a more maneuverable class B MH.

Personally I'd love to have a toad of course and I also could afford paying the 6000bucks for an old Jeep Cherokee (yes, I really like those). My major problem is that with a tourist visa I'll be limited to 6 months in a year in the US and up to now I got very bad insurance offers... means like I would pay around triple the price a US resident would pay. And that's also the point where the second insurance for the toad starts to hurt.
However depending on the RV I'll find I might go with a class B or get myself a motorcycle and rack for the class A...

However, feel free to PM me with good insurance agent contact data Perhaps I just asked the wrong people up to now

cheers,
Matt
I've had good luck with this agency: Motorhome Hi Sage Insurance
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:05 AM   #35

If you are taking the time and money investment to see the US, you are going to sell yourself short by trying to do it in a Motorhome without a toad or motorcycle of some sort.

Too many places where there is just no way to drive a MH, and there are proably some places where you will want to go that camping nearby isn't really much of an option. You would be able to camp a couple hours away and then drive where you want to go and get a hotel for a day or two. I know that can be heresy, but I don't think you can experience New York City for instance trying to commute in from a campground. LA and Chicago are much the same way.....

Given your budget of $30k, I would suggest you skip the idea of a Motorhome all together, and either do a travel trailer or a pickup with a slide in camper with jacks so you can pull the truck out.

In either case, for $30k you will get a more reliable vehicle for $20k or so, then a camper or slide in for $10k, and proably have a much more enjoyable exerpiece.

Good luck!
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:26 AM   #36
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Matt, I agree that with a motorhome of the size you are talking about, you're going to want some sort of auxiliary transportation, both for convenience and for access to places the RV just can't go.

As for insurance, the community you list as your temporary address will make a difference. The state will make a difference as will the city within that state. Nothing in California will be cheap, but pick an address near a large metropolitan area and it will be astronomical. Same with New York, New Jersey and others. Typically the lowest rates will be found in the middle of the country (exclude Illinois). One of the benefits of our South Dakota address is the relatively lower rates. South Dakota is just one of the states that have competing mail services that can serve as your US legal address.

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad