Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
At least once and possibly twice a year if I really think it needs it.
Nice view also.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Every spring I go on about an 800 mile "Hike" (Drive) from the place where i "Winterize" to the place where I "Summerize" and before I go I mop the roof, wash and wax the sides (Except this year, for some reason (Well understood) this year I just did not have the heart for it).

And in the fall when I go to "Winterize" (Another 800 mile drive) I do it again.

Seems that a fresh waxed coach... Slips through the air easier.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Every spring I go on about an 800 mile "Hike" (Drive) from the place where i "Winterize" to the place where I "Summerize" and before I go I mop the roof, wash and wax the sides (Except this year, for some reason (Well understood) this year I just did not have the heart for it).

And in the fall when I go to "Winterize" (Another 800 mile drive) I do it again.

Seems that a fresh waxed coach... Slips through the air easier.
I'm pretty sure there's no scientific proof of that but, like you, my rig just feels like it's riding, running, driving better if it's nice and clean and shiny just prior to a trip.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Usually 3 times a year for me..... spring, summer and fall. I use Turtle Wax Zip Wash/Wax to clean it with a long handled truck wash brush. I've used mop 'n glo, 303 and the most recent cleaning I used Aero Cosmetics Wash-Wax All liguid with their wet/dry mop system. With the long handle I can do it all without getting on my aging knees. It turned out nice but not as spiffy as Scott's. That is some serious firehouse cleaning there .
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:42 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Usually 3 times a year for me..... spring, summer and fall. I use Turtle Wax Zip Wash/Wax to clean it with a long handled truck wash brush. I've used mop 'n glo, 303 and the most recent cleaning I used Aero Cosmetics Wash-Wax All liguid with their wet/dry mop system. With the long handle I can do it all without getting on my aging knees. It turned out nice but not as spiffy as Scott's. That is some serious firehouse cleaning there .

sml,
You had to remind me didn't you, "firehouse cleaning"...

Thanks for the nice comments bud.
Scott
Old 09-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #34

I was planning to by a couple of little goant ladders and two 21012' wooden beams to wash and wax the roof of my class A. Wwhen the judge finally releasesmy mom's estate. I've got a big list of things to buy and thid is way down there near the bpttom.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Wash the roof every second wash. If going on a long trip (one week for us since we still work full-time) I wash the roof before the trip and when we get home. Please note that it is a one piece fiberglass roof. Wax once a year so far. Coach is under cover unless we are camping. Last time it took 6 hours to wax the roof and the rest of the rv. Even after using a electric polisher I was sore for two days. Glad that it is only once a year.

Please note that if you are not comfortable climbing up on a slick roof I would not recommend taking chances. If possible pay someone else to wash the roof.

Plus Fiona a minature Goldendoodle
Iangolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iangolf View Post
Wash the roof every second wash. If going on a long trip (one week for us since we still work full-time) I wash the roof before the trip and when we get home. Please note that it is a one piece fiberglass roof. Wax once a year so far. Coach is under cover unless we are camping. Last time it took 6 hours to wax the roof and the rest of the rv. Even after using a electric polisher I was sore for two days. Glad that it is only once a year.

Please note that if you are not comfortable climbing up on a slick roof I would not recommend taking chances. If possible pay someone else to wash the roof.
Ian,
I commend you Sir for that seriously hard task of washing and waxing your roof. While it's not seen by many, it is a task that, when done, one knows the exact condition of his roof, the seals and any portion there-of. Yep, it's a ways up there and, surely can get ultra slippery if wet while doing work up there so, extra, extra care must be taken for safety's sake.

Ours too, is washed, rubbed out, waxed and under a drive under cover unless we're in it and traveling. All the caulking and sealing materials are still in flawless condition even thought it's an '04.
Scott

Old 09-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #37

Scott,
I noticed a smudge on the kingdome and am appalled. Seriously, looks great. My fiberglass roof has a texture on it that means I realistically cannot wax so I use 303.
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
I just did mine this week. I washed with Dawn dish washing soap & then applied Rejex. Even though it is a fiberglass roof and fairly smooth, it was not as easy as the full body paint. It did come out looking great. This is the second time I washed the roof since I bought it in January. I wash it at least 2 times a year but more often if I am parked under trees. Our motor home is on the road 365 day a year. My DW full times in it & I split my time between the MH & the S&B.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #39

What about the rubber roofs can they be cleaned like that? What is the best product to get agood clean on a rubber roof and the product for the after cleaning.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:17 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninos View Post
What about the rubber roofs can they be cleaned like that? What is the best product to get agood clean on a rubber roof and the product for the after cleaning.
ninos,
Yes, rubber roofs can be cleaned but, that's about it. Someone might chime in here with other info but , to the best of my knowledge, there's nothing you're supposed to put on a rubber roof as a "protectant". My rubber roof on my Bounder was looking way shabby after about 10 years of being in direct sunlight etc. and was almost completely black due to the deterioration of the white coating on it.

So, long story short, I cleaned if very thoroughly and, used the two part system from Dicor and it turned out flawless. That was about 5 years ago and it still looks the same today even though it sits in the sun all the time. Below is a picture the day after my son and I cleaned, prepped and coated the roof.
Scott
Old 09-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #41

Fire Up, great job on that rubber roof, looks beautiful.

Ninos, as posted earlier, before cleaning you might double check if it’s truly a rubber roof meaning EPDM material... Or is it the newer TPO material, actually a plastic roof and not rubber. Some folks still call both EPDM and TPO a rubber roof (generic). But, they are different material (rubber vs plastic) and roof maintenance cross-over is only about 75%.
When we bought our new 2014, I was told it had EPDM roof. After spending time on it installing MaxxAir vent covers I doubted what dealer told me. I checked with Winnebago and sure enough... I have a TPO plastic roof, not EPDM rubber. That’s good as these new plastics are IMO tougher and lighter (weight and color) than older EPDM rubber. Bi-annual roof maintenance and inspection is still necessary on TPO and EPDM. I’ll be using Murphy’s Oil Soap as the mfr recommended cleaner for our TPO roof.
RFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #42

Beautiful job!! I have had roof envy since I first read this post. I have a TPO roof...rough in texture. I have washed it several times. The last time I washed it with simple green. It did not seem to make a dent. I have read about borax..Ajax..and other concoctions. What would be the safest product with the best results?

pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof