Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacevette View Post
Beautiful job!! I have had roof envy since I first read this post. I have a TPO roof...rough in texture. I have washed it several times. The last time I washed it with simple green. It did not seem to make a dent. I have read about borax..Ajax..and other concoctions. What would be the safest product with the best results?
pacevette,
Not many folks step outside the box like I do. When we had the Bounder, I kept up that roof as best I could considering it was always in the sun, never under a cover and, had been neglected for it's life prior to us acquiring it. I had used all kinds of soaps, cleansers, brushes etc. on that roof and it was never damaged. I was up there regularly and always kept my eye on it. I even used "bleach" on it. All that did was whiten up what was left of the white coating.

The cleanser worked good too. But, a fair brush was needed for the cleanser to do any good. Now, there's many folks on here that won't use anything but what was recommended by either the coach manufacturer or the roof manufacturer. As stated, I cruised outside the box on that one. Finally, the white coating had deteriorated so bad that, the roof was about 75% black. So, it was time to do something drastic.

That's when I took on the "Dicor" challenge. It's a two part system and, it took almost the entire part of a 95 degree day. That was good because it needed to dry between applications of the components. I did some serious sweating that day, along with my son. But, it was well worth the effort. That was done quite a while ago, and it looks the same today and is not kept under any cover.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #44

I guess my biggest concern is what drips down the side. I do not want to resolve one problem to create another. I will have to look up the dicor process. Its just interesting to see all of the different products others use to clean the roof. I was thinking about buying some borax soap and a stiff brush also some spic and span and see what works best. At least those products I can buy off of the shelf. If those fail to work I will look further online if I need to order anything. I also have to say I was never too concerned with the roof.....until we put our MH on a ferry last year. We loaded it up and then ventured out when the ship was under way. It wasn't until we were sitting on a deck that was higher than the MH. I was almost embarrassed....lol!

pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #45

Pacevette,
Just about any soap and good cleaning system will work for you. As for streaks etc. before or after, we had some prior to the Dicor treatment, but, I don't think that just because we coated that roof with a nice coating it stopped the streaks. Dirt and dust collect on a roof, any roof, of any vehicle. And, when moisture gets up there from dew, drizzle and what-not. So, "streaking" of even the slightest nature, will still happen to some extent. On some coaches, it will be less and, on some, it will be more prevalent.

Here's a suggestion for you. If I had a coach that I was really happy with, and was going to keep for a very long time but, I was not happy with the rubber roof for any number of reasons, there's an alternative out there that is far superior to the rubber roof.

The process is very, very similar to the process used in "spray in" truck bed liners. The roof is prepped. They remove the rubber roof, replace any luan/plywood that might need to be replaced, remove the vents, and any obstructions. The sides are taped off and, the process of spraying begins. The final coating is about 3/16" - 1/4" thick. It is bullet proof after that. You can dance and have a party up there after that. You can walk around with any shoes, (not that you'd want to but) up there that you like. There is a 20 year guarantee of it too.

We have one of those companies here in the San Diego County area. Every time I drive by it, they've got lots of coaches out there that either just finished having it put on or, are in prep for it. Seems to be catching on fairly rapidly, at least out here anyways. Just something to think about. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #46

Today I cleaned my rubber roof after a long day of work it looks pretty good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3180276867.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	431.2 KB
ID:	46894

Name:	image-3877921986.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	359.9 KB
ID:	46895

Name:	image-2815858874.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	455.6 KB
ID:	46896
Old 09-29-2013, 08:04 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
ninos,
Yes, rubber roofs can be cleaned but, that's about it. Someone might chime in here with other info but , to the best of my knowledge, there's nothing you're supposed to put on a rubber roof as a "protectant".
Yes, there is. There are rubber roof treatments to protect from UV rays. USE THEM!
Old 09-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #48

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wash the roof once a year when doing annual inspection and checking caulking. Other than that it gets a coat of 303 every 3-4 months.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #49

Thor Owners Club
I wash mine once in the spring after the cover comes off and once before the cover goes on.I use the Dicor wash and UV protector and it stays clean.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just got done washing and waxing my roof, wow was that a job, all the white chalky stuff ran down the sides so I ended up washing and waxing them too, also cleaned AC coils and AC duct work and grills. Oh and repainted the AC covers!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3814211978.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	46900   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2145149919.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	425.1 KB
ID:	46901  

Name:	image-1918149774.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	398.6 KB
ID:	46902  
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #51

Campo makes a Pro-Tec 2 step process for RV rubber roofs. You will want to protect it.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #52

I was wondering if anyone as used this product from homedepot instead the eternabond for the rv roof, I have used the homedepot product on the house roof and that stuff is great and doesn't come off or leak at all, I also have used the eternabond for the rv and I must say I'm not to impressed with it because it starts to lift at the ends and before someone says that I didn't clean it properly yes I did it was super clean. It's just a question I know that the homedepot stuff is for the house roof not for the RV but what's do you think?

Name:	image-2231247518.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	46999
Old 10-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #53

Never wash the roof on the fiver in 14 years. Only got rinsed at the blue beacon. Never had a leak, but I keep it inside. Don't ever plan on washing the roof on the Newmar either. And they are both rubber roofs. It will only get the blue beacon rinse also. And rain!
Old 10-02-2013, 06:47 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninos View Post
I was wondering if anyone as used this product from homedepot instead the eternabond for the rv roof, I have used the homedepot product on the house roof and that stuff is great and doesn't come off or leak at all, I also have used the eternabond for the rv and I must say I'm not to impressed with it because it starts to lift at the ends and before someone says that I didn't clean it properly yes I did it was super clean. It's just a question I know that the homedepot stuff is for the house roof not for the RV but what's do you think?

Attachment 46999
Is it for EPDM roofs?
Old 10-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #55
SWD

Once a year after annual inspection.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #56

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Normally mop it down with Spic & Span 2x a year (spring and fall) just before my 800 mile migration.

Alas, did not happen this spring due to so many things I can't describe it all and may not this fall due to medical issues... This has not been a good year for me.

Tags
roof