Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
How often do you clean your roof?

I've had my MH a year now & decided to clean the roof. It was getting pretty ugly with dirt and some mold. Took a lot of scrubbing with a stiff brush and a concoction of Boraxo hand cleaner & Meguiars car washing soap. It's very clean now but it definitely needs some sort of protectant. Probably going to treat it with RejeX to try & keep it cleaner. How often do you clean yours?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0897.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	44754  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Based on that photo , you could give lessons .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #3

I usually go up there once a year. I give everything a good inspection and then scrub her down usually with Simple Green and a brush and a rag. My roof is white aluminum so I really don't put anything on it. Looks pretty good after a scrub down.
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Twice a year. Beginning of year to check seams and end of season check for damage.
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Once to twice a year. Normally just use a premium car wash soap and a brush on the end of a pole. Once a year I spray it with 303 and use a spong mop to spread it. Ours is a fiberglass roof.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:54 PM   #6

Pushedaround,
First off, from what I can see in the picture, looks pretty good. Not many folks care that much about the roof on their RV like I do so, I'll tell you what I did and you make a decision as to how far you want to take yours. Our roof looked like ca-ca when we first purchased the coach, just over 2 years ago. It had not had any maintenance since it was new. It's an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330 CAT.

It had globs of silicone all over the roof, left there by inconsiderate workers installing things like the King Dome, cable stays and more. It also had 50 zillion tiny black spots, presumably a mold of some sort too. Not to mention, it was oxidized very badly.

So, I started out with a good scrubbing with cleanser, dish soap and water. Then, a steel, stiff, 1 1/2" putty knife was used to scrape off all the pain in the a$$ globs of silicone.

Then, out came the Dewalt buffer. No, the kind with oscilating little pad, this is the kind the pros use for rubbing out paint jobs. I used a cutting compound and a wool pad. The first time I did it, it took me about 3 days. I worked, took a break, worked, took more breaks, worked, took long breaks, get the idea? But, to me, every bit of work that went into or, onto that roof, was worth it. That was last August. I've waxed it twice since then. Well, I just did it again.

Rubbed it out that is. This time, the whole process took me about 3 hours. Then, I waxed it in about an hour and a half. I used 3M rubbing compound this time and a foam pad. Way better and a better surface this time. The wax, it's McGuire's cleaner wax.

That roof, now has "0" spots on it, not one. Water, dust, and anything else, just glides right off. As for how often it's washed, about once every other month.
Scott

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:05 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow! Great jobs!
Maybe I should clean my roof - someday...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:13 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Scott, very nice job. I may just buff it out like you did with the 3M compound, but I am definitely going with the RejeX. Today's new polymers are much better than the old waxes and last many times longer.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:25 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I do ours once a year with car wash soap and a marine type deck brush. If it starts looking like that isn't doing the job I use something stronger then after it is dry do a coat of mop & glow. Sounded kind of stupid at first but it actually works pretty good. Just take care not to drip any down the side of your coach. I'm not as concerned how it looks as to how much oxidation is up there that runs down the side making it not look very good.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:27 AM   #10

I clean mine once a year but I check it for tears, holes, caulking three or four times during the camping season.
Mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:50 AM   #11

I clean the roof a minimum of twice each season. It is more an exercise in scrutiny where I am inspecting and deciding if a place needs some attn. I use a mild dish wash detergent and some AJAX or another non-scratching scrub powder. It does not take long to get the task completed... the ladder, bucket and hose setup take longer than the task. But the maintenance really helps extend the life of a roof and gives you peace of mind.

NOTE to VINCE..... get up on your roof......and scrub that grey nasty off....
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #12

I have the EPDM roof. And completely by accident came up with a great way to get it clean. I had a real stubborn stain that I couldn't get off. Well in passing my better half says, "try a Mr. Clean magic eraser". So I went up on the roof and got on my hands and knees and in about 20 sec. the stain was gone. So I went and bought a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser mop with 5 extra pads and now the roof looks like the day it was made. I hate it when she's right.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Try using Rejex, after cleaning. Works great also on your windshield, front of coach or anywhere. Follow the directions nothing sticks to it. No stock in the co. Just a happy consumer!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Scott, very nice job. I may just buff it out like you did with the 3M compound, but I am definitely going with the RejeX. Today's new polymers are much better than the old waxes and last many times longer.
PushedAround,
Thanks Sir, for the nice comments. As I stated, not many take to their roof like I do. It's kind of a labor of love. While not my favorite past time, the coach is covered and, I don't really mind doing the job I do on it. Besides, like other posters who've done close to my work, I get to inspect, close up, all the seams, edges, caulking and more, on a regular basis. And, having it clean and nice just makes it that much easier to do any inspection or work.

To any that have the EDPM roof, I too used to have one of those. I kept it as clean as possible for the type of roof it was. I finally got tired of all the "black" up there due to the deterioration of it. So, I cleaned it with bleach and some good dish soap and water. I then applied the Dicor, two part system for a coating. While it was a serious pain in the a$$, it was a one day project, from about 6:30 in the morning, on a hot day, to about 4:00 in the afternoon when it was all done. Here's the finished product.
Scott

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof