Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2011, 08:31 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With my gas rig I have always tried to run it for 30 minutes a month. I also run the generator under a minimum of 50% load for 30 minutes a month. This last winter I tried something different. I added Sta-Bil to the gas and filled the gas tank to mix it and drove it about 20 miles with the generator running. Then I parked it for 4 months without starting it. When it was time to leave I started the motor and it fired right up. I also ran the generator which fired right up too andran the air conditioning. Hopefully everything was protected by Sta-Bil. I plan on doing the same thing next winter when I am in Arizona.

2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
I bet your manuals make a recomendation. I know for sure that my diesel generator is suppose to be started and run under a load every month according to my manual. Cummins did not spec starting every so often, but did spec a fuel additive and placing it on storage blocks if not used for extended periods of time. Cummins discourages long periods of idling. They only recommend a few minutes of idle before shuting down the engine after extended high end use. The HWH jacks are suppose to be operated twice a month. At any rate I use the coach at least twice a month so no problem for me with any of the above. I just have to remember to use the generac more frequently.

Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #31

I'll bet you let your cummins idle and then take an oil sample your aluminum content will be high. Piston slap.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #32

I drove tractor trailer for years over the road and seldom did I shut my truck off. When I parked at a truck stop and it was -18 outside I couldn't shut it down. When it's cold you run the heater and when it's hot you run the air so the truck is always running. I don't think idling it makes any difference at all.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
I drove tractor trailer for years over the road and seldom did I shut my truck off........ I don't think idling it makes any difference at all.
If you have a new, emission controlled diesel with DPF, EGR, regen cycles, etc., conventional wisdom no longer applies. Idling it makes a substantial difference.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #34
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Every 1-2 weeks I take out for a run for several miles, when I am not on road traveling I use all the systems water, electric, heat, a/c etc at least once a month, I try not to let it just sit. During the winter months It gets constant use down south.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
If you have a new, emission controlled diesel with DPF, EGR, regen cycles, etc., conventional wisdom no longer applies. Idling it makes a substantial difference.

Rusty
Glad you chimed in. When did they start all this stuff? and what do the truckers now do when they are stuck in a truck stop for days waiting for a load?
Old 04-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
One round of emissions control kicked in January 1, 2007. The most recent was January 1, 2010.

Many locales have made extended idling against the law. It's commonplace now for Class 8 tractors to have APUs (auxiliary power units) to run the heat and A/C and other accessories while not on the road.

Rusty
Old 04-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingman View Post
I feel the same way Mike. It needs exercise and I just like to drive it.
Same here about once a month. But not just to warm it up but to drive it. get all the fluids moving. Also tire guys say the best thing for your tires is to move them!

Dan
Old 04-13-2011, 08:11 AM   #38

I think you should start it up monthly and drive it around the block. This includes the GenSet. Water and condensation will find the wrong places to hang out. Even in the oil! Running the engine will warm the oil up and evaporate any moisture that has built up. At work when we store aircraft for long terms the FAA requires us to start each aircraft and run all its systems on a schedule. This way corrosion doesn't set in. What harm can it due?
Old 04-13-2011, 08:27 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzCactusRV View Post
I think you should start it up monthly and drive it around the block. This includes the GenSet. Water and condensation will find the wrong places to hang out. Even in the oil! Running the engine will warm the oil up and evaporate any moisture that has built up.
Just running it around the block won't warm up the oil sufficiently to drive out condensation - unless, of course, your blocks are a few miles long. I've worked for a manufacturer of industrial engines and compressors for over 37 years with most of those in technical and engineering management. One of the worst things one can do to an engine is to start it up briefly without bringing all systems up to full operating temperatures and holding them there for a reasonable time. The combustion process produces water and weak acids, the latter derived from the carbon and sulfur in the fuel (even ULSD), and those will wind up in the crankcase unless the temperatures are sufficient to drive them out the crankcase ventilation system. Also, the lube oil additive packages often need a minimum temperature to be effective in neutralizing combustion acids.

One of our products is diesel engine-powered emergency standby generator sets used as a last line of defense in nuclear power plants. When these first came out, the customers would start them as often as monthly just to ensure that they would start, then immediately shut them down. Suffice it to say that didn't work out well, even though the engines are equipped with continuously circulating coolant and lube oil heating skids. Now the practice is to start the engines, bring them up to full load and hold them there for an hour, then allow the engines to cool down at light loads before shutting them down.

Rusty
Old 04-13-2011, 08:38 AM   #40
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
When it's cold you run the heater and when it's hot you run the air so the truck is always running. I don't think idling it makes any difference at all.
We are beginning to see this as a practice that is going the way of the dinosaurs. Vehicles equipped with 2010 emission control devices are not going to be happy when allowed to idle for hours at a time. Federal, State and local legislation is favoring diesel engine shutdowns as well.

We are also beginning to see "No Idling" or "Shut Down Engine" signs in truck stops as legislation in beginning to kick in.

Truck Stops are going to have to come to task with hookups much in the same way as they are provided for RVs. A truck drives up to a spot and a 50A-100A cord is provided which could be accessed via a credit card reader. Through the side window heat for the driver is ramping up. The days of idling trucks in truck stops is waining.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:50 AM   #41
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Now the practice is to start the engines, bring them up to full load and hold them there for an hour, then allow the engines to cool down at light loads before shutting them down.
Rusty, That practice has had legs for quite some time in some applications and I would have thought that it would have been a standard although it must be difficult to implement the strategy and roll it out to all customers without some pushback.

As you said and I could not agree more, that an engine needs to be brought up on-line under load for an extended period of time with an appropriate shut down cycle. When I come off the road into a rest stop for example, I will allow the engine to idle down for a minute or 2 before I shut down the engine.

I have heard many stories from people that should not own motorhomes but would be better suited in their lifestyle to buying a towable. Going from point A to B and staying there immobile for 9 months or so does not do a motorhome powertrain any favors. Generator startups and running under load, never comes into the picture.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:55 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Rusty, That practice has had legs for quite some time in some applications and I would have thought that it would have been a standard although it must be difficult to implement the strategy and roll it out to all customers without some pushback.
Most technical personnel in a nuclear power plant have an electrical engineering or a nuclear engineering background. Few, if any, are "engine guys". It was quite a hurdle to get some customers to accept this long-standing practice that has been used successfully in many other applications.

Rusty