Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
How often to lube slides and condition seals?

I am getting ready to take possession of the new to us coach and want to be as proactive as I can with maintenance issues.

How often shall I lubricate the slides and/or condition the rubber seals around the slides?

What are the best products to use for the purposes?

Thanks for all advice and opinions.

fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If it is a rack & pinion gear driven slide, it doesn't need lubing. If hydraulic, maybe a dab of lube on the pivot joints once a year.

What you see and probably think of as "seals" are actually just wipers on the sides and top/bottom. If you feel you must, spray them with a dry silicone or slideout seal lube once or twice a year. May keep them a bit more supple.

The actual seals ae D-shaped rubber tubes on the slide flange, inside and out. They press against the sidewalls when open or closed. Again, a dry silicone or fancy "RV slideout seal" spray 1-2 times a year may have some long term benefit. (I don't believe it myself, but it won't hurt.)

The typical problem with slide seals is that they can detach from the slide and sag or fall completely off. That's an issue with the adhesives or staples used to install them, or a result of something getting trapped between wall and seal. Cast an eye over the slides when both in and out and be on the lookout for a wiper (flapper) or seal that is starting to get out of position. That's when you want to get proactive - fix it before it gets worse and tears a whole section loose.

OK, now all you people who religiously lube and condition their slide seals every trip or every month can start throwing your spears at me...

Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No spears. Actually, when at the Winnebago factory this past fall, the techs there advised not to lube the slide mechanisms (HWH hydraulic) with anything. They told me to periodically spray them with a hose to remove any dirt but otherwise no lube. They did say I could spray dry silicone on the seals if it made me feel better but did not say it was absolutely necessary.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2012 Honda CR-V Toad: Air Force One Toad Brake.
Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I would follow the mfg'er recommendations. I have never lubed the slides on my Winnebago. I did put a little corn starch on the wiper seals once per Winnie recommendation, and decided never again as it made them too slippery to "flip". . I have never treated the seals with anything and they look and work just fine. If you decide to use something, 303 would be a very good choice as it will not damage rubber like many other products will. (Tire dressing, Armor All, etc).
Old 03-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #5

Once or twice a year I wipe down the rack and pinion under the slide and spray with a dry lube.

3-4 times a year I put 303 on all slide seals as well as bay door seals.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree and say to think twice before lubing your slide.

Before I knew of the "no lube necessary" idea, I bought slide lube from Camping Word. Don't have the can with me so don't know the brand. Anyway, I lubed my hydraulic slides (not the ram, just the steel bars). That lube has become sticky and is actually causing the slide to stick and jamb trying to open and close. So in a few weeks when I de-winterize it I need to climb under the coach and clean the "lube" off before trying to open the slides.

Anyone else have ideas or experience with this?