Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2010, 09:00 PM   #15

We have run some of the tires on our Class C close to the 10 yr mark. We started replacing tires as they failed. But the last tire that failed was under 5 yo. We had been parked for four months... on a fist sized rock. We think that is what led to the failure. The rock was on the inside of the outer tire (dualy) and that is where the tire blew out at. I was just about 1 mile down the road. Lots of thing contribute to a tire failing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #16

Old Tires

In the summer of 09, we drove our 98 DutchStar DP from TX to Alaska and back(12,000 miles) on old Michelins. They had good tread left and no side wall cracking. They never ever ever needed air added to them. The oldest had date code from 2000, and the newest from 2003. We drove in 100+ heat out west at cruising speeds as high as 75mph. On the monster down hills in Canada & Alaska, with my foot off the throttle, we sometimes would peg the 85 mph speedometer. The hills were so steep the coach would accelerate with the exhaust brake applied. I normally drive 60mph. We never had a problem w/those tires. We put a new set of Michelin XZAs on it in late 09.

OK, let me have it.
I'm a bad bad boy

Old 12-23-2010, 07:23 AM   #17

I replaced my Goodyear G670's after 5 years. They looked good, had no cracks, but I feel better. It's kind of like buying insurance.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:58 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarace View Post

On the monster down hills in Canada & Alaska, with my foot off the throttle, we sometimes would peg the 85 mph speedometer. The hills were so steep the coach would accelerate with the exhaust brake applied. I normally drive 60mph. We never had a problem w/those tires. We put a new set of Michelin XZAs on it in late 09.

OK, let me have it.
I'm a bad bad boy
Okay, you asked for it.......

.......Let me know when you plan to go back to Alaska so I can make sure we are not planning to be on the same roads. I take the downhill grades at 40-45 but with over 10,000 lbs. behind me I want to make sure I can stop for any emergency especially a blowout.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:41 AM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here are some interesting questions to ask yourself:

1. Michelin and other manufacturers recommend having the tires removed from the rims and the inside of them examined after 5 years. Do you do that? If not, how did you determine that the tires were safe to drive?

2. If you did have your tires examined, what were the qualifications of the person doing the examination? Was it their first time to examine tires in that way and did they know exactly what it was that they needed to look for?

3. If you did have your tires What kind of a guarantee came with the examination? What recourse do you have if a tire that was examined fails?

4. How are the steel belts inside the tire examined for rust? Zipper blow outs are caused by steel belt failure. Steel belt failure is caused by moisture build up. Moisture build up is caused by the tires sitting for long periods without being run up to road speed where the moisture can be dissipated. Does your RV sit for long periods of time (weeks/months) without being run up to road speed for at least an hour?

I'm the kind of guy who replaces the spark plugs in all of my lawn and garden equipment every year. Do they need it? Probably not. Am I wasting my money? I don't think so. I spend less than $10 and I haven't had a machine fail to start during the mowing season in 20 years. Of course, I use Stabil in the gas tanks, remove, examine and replace as necessary the air filters, sharpen the blades, etc. I do all of this because when it is time to mow or trim my yard, I want to mow and trim my yard, not work on my lawn equipment. I want to work on the equipment on my terms, when I choose to do so. I have the same philosophy about my passenger cars (where I change the belts and hoses every 5 years). Why would I take a different approach to the RV?
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #20

You bring up a good point that tire manufacturers say the need to have tires inspected annually if over five years old. Finding a "qualified" person to inspect the tires may not be so easy.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a blowout (inside rear) 2 years ago, 3 miles from home. I coasted home and had my local tire guy come and change it for the same Goodyear. When he showed me the inside of the tire; rust and broken belts on sidewall, I had them all changed. That was at about 38K miles. I told him I would not take any tires over 5 mos old. He abided by that and sent the first replacements back cause he agreed with me. I had one of those @#$%$^tire warantees. When I called them they said, "Sidewall? sorrryyy".
Old 12-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Don't think that it you cover your tires your ok, ozone is just as bad, if not worse for tires than UV light.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #23

Improperly inflated tires are the number one reason these blowouts occur. Sorry, but I don't believe a properly cared for 6-10 year old tire just falls apart. Anyone remember the Ford Explorer/Firestone fiasco? To compensate for a poor riding vehicle, Ford recommended tire pressures which were way too low for the vehicle, 24-26 psi if I recall correctly. That left no safety margin for the vehicle which was typically loaded to the brim with passengers and belongings. Stories and pictures of accidents were usually of a family on a summer vacation, i.e. blazing hot highways. Ford then let Firestone take the bad rap for tire blowouts which often led to rollovers.

This hobby is expensive enough without buying a set of $3000-4000 tires every 5 or 6 years. If it makes you sleep better at night, then by all means replace. Myself, I'll keep an eye on the TPMS and worry about getting the community organizer out of office.
Snowman 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:39 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT
You bring up a good point that tire manufacturers say the need to have tires inspected annually if over five years old. Finding a "qualified" person to inspect the tires may not be so easy.
This is a very good point. We met a guy in UT who's tire blew the day after he got it inspected by a tire expert. It could have been a bad inspection, bad driving that day or just bad luck but either way it was quite a bummer and raised questions in my mind about how to get a proper inspection. Material failures can be non trivial and sometimes even the best inspector can miss something. My own risk level is 6 years, but other people will have different timeframes.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:54 PM   #25

Commercial Member

Monaco Owners Club
We bought ours with 02 tires on it in 2009... finally upgraded a few months ago to Bridgestone R250's... I was nervous until we changed them though!
Downsizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:59 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
If you take care of your tires, keep them clean, don't run over curbs, use proper air pressure, keep them dressed with a non petroleum based product and keep them covered when not in use you should be able to get at least 7 years. But all tires are not created equal.

RJay is offline   Reply With Quote