Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: How old is your coach
0-3 years old 26 10.88%
3-6 years old 18 7.53%
6-9 years old 36 15.06%
9-12 years old 48 20.08%
12+ years old 111 46.44%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-05-2015, 09:50 PM   #43
Just purchased a 1986 Pace Arrow 30G with a 454, 53,000 original miles on it. We are the third owner and even though she is old and needed some work, the chassis and engine are solid. I have been in the auto parts business over 25 years now, and am also a mechanic. I have to admit the MH side of things were a bit daunting at first, but I realized that it is basically like eating an elephant, one bite at a time. I have started at the front of the beast and I am working my way to the back. Since we have time and not a lot of money in her, I am going over everything and fixing, repairing or replacing anything that is not up to standards.
It is a family affair, our first MH and it is almost ready for a maiden voyage, local and short of course!

John Talbott
1986 Pace Arrow M-R
P30 Chassis, 454, 30ft, (The Beast)
talbott357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2015, 12:25 AM   #44
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
She is 25 years old this year. I don't think it's going down in value anymore, I think it's pretty much bottomed out now. The good part is that DMV and insurance costs are really low and the thing still has low miles (it was parked and used to live in more than for travel).

Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:28 AM   #45
Our Class-C Dutchman is a 1993 with about 50,000 miles and 79 hrs on the generator. I love it but HD insists we sell it and the 2011 TT and buy a used Class-A.
Retired. RVing with one husband and five cats.
1999 32' Fleetwood Southwind Class-A. Ford V10.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:36 AM   #46
Ours is 1989 and was 245K in 89 dollars and we got it for 5K.

Almost traded up but reality set in...it is paid for and fine for our needs.

No plans on selling ir trading anytime soon.
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:49 AM   #47
One is 37 years old, another 21 years old, one 10 years old and another 15 years old and last but not least 16 years old.

All still going strong and doing what I ask of them and the plan is, in return for an inheritance somewhere between a small amount and zero, our kids get to dispose of them for whatever the market will bear.

Three of them were bought off the internet sight unseen and all were as described with no surprises - unlike what you are liable to discover when you buy brand-new.
Tony Lee - International Grey Nomad. Picasa Album - Travel Map
RVs. USA - Airstream Cutter; in Australia - MC8 40' DIY Coach conversion & OKA 4x4 MH; in Germany - Hobby Class C; in S America - F350 with 2500 10.6 Bigfoot camper
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:13 PM   #48
We will keep our MH until we are unable to use it or it totally fails us, whichever comes first.
Apparently the break-point is 13 years, after that the retail value declines rapidly for the next 5-6 years, then the decline slows even more. Co-incidentally, 13 years is the MH age where many extended service contract issuers stop issuing new policies.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:54 PM   #49
I posted that ours was 12+, though we sold it last December. It was an '02 Georgetown 325. We bought it from the original owners in June 2010, with 12,000 miles on the clock. We put another 6000 miles on it in 3 seasons, but, for a number of reasons, couldn't use it at all last season.

We finally concluded that it was costing too much to just have it sit in the driveway, so we placed it with a local consignment dealer and it sold just before Christmas.

With the new season starting, we miss having the option to use it, but it was just too expensive. Since we started, with a 26' Class C, gas has gone from $1.50 to up around $4.50 last time out in the small towns on the Oregon coast. CG fees used to be in the $15 range per night and now it's rare to find anything decent below $40.

It sure isn't an inexpensive pursuit any more and it was draining our retirement savings more quickly than we thought was prudent.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:43 AM   #50
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Our Eagle is a 1992 so 23 years old. I've had a lot of fun with it, we didn't pay much even though we have put money into it, its still going. It sure isn't fast starting up but it will run 70 mph all day long and does. I have
about 132k on it.

Have looked at some newer ones but thinking I might only drive 5 more years. I'm not sure, will be 70 next year.

I would like to have something with slides but hate to shell out the bucks so may just keep it. We haven't decided what we will do. If I saw what I wanted for the right price might. But the new ones are not built like this old gal.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:13 AM   #51
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by PatStab View Post
Our Eagle is a 1992 so 23 years old. I've had a lot of fun with it, we didn't pay much even though we have put money into it, its still going. It sure isn't fast starting up but it will run 70 mph all day long and does. I have
about 132k on it.

Have looked at some newer ones but thinking I might only drive 5 more years. I'm not sure, will be 70 next year.

I would like to have something with slides but hate to shell out the bucks so may just keep it. We haven't decided what we will do. If I saw what I wanted for the right price might. But the new ones are not built like this old gal.
I can understand what you are saying. Slides are nice but hardly worth thousands of dollars for a few extra feet of living space.
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:44 PM   #52
We haven an 05 Sightseer (3 slides) and intend to keep it until I hang up my keys

2005 34A Winnie Sightseer
Dave & Jo's Winnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:52 PM   #53
Originally Posted by becks View Post
Ten years old this year, no need to look for something else, as we have done a ton of upgrades. As many have said, buy a high end coach from a quality builder, and you can likely keep it a long time if you choose.
Couldn't say it any better myself. Our Beaver is 15 years old and we've heavily customized it to meet our needs. Our CAT C-12 will turn 100,000 miles over the next week and it simply "purrs"!
Sandie & Joel (RVParkReviews admin)
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
Follow us at http://www.facebook.com/WeissTravels.net
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:32 PM   #54
Bought ours in April 2006, plan on keeping it at least another 10 years. Still does everything we want it to. Inside is like new, runs like a top!
2006 Damon Daybreak 3272 w/F-53 @ V10
Redapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:14 PM   #55
Interesting seeing that most pictured are class A homes. This one is a 1976 Dodge chassis/Monaco body that is just getting ready to turn 52K. Been sitting in a shed for the last 19 years. Belonged to my parents. It has been a interesting process getting it back into running condition. When I pulled it out of the shed the wheels on the left side would not turn. So starting at the front the radiator was tested and passed the heater core was replaced. New coolant hoses and water pump. The distributor was pulled and advance weights cleaned and lubed. New plugs and plug wires. The carb was cleaned and fuel pump replaced. The alternator received new bearings and brushes. Engine oil was changed and system primed until 60 lbs pressure was noted on gauge. Transmission was serviced new oil and filter and bands adjusted. Rear end oil was changed. Fuel tank was dropped and was cleaned of 19 year old gas. All rubber fuel lines were replaced. Fuel sender was replaced as it was stuck. The brake system was completely rebuilt along with repacking wheel bearings. Forgot to mention this unit has a 440-1 motor and the 727 transmission. The muffler at some time in the past was home to a family of mice. I had to dropped the header pipes and blow compressed air through to get muffler opened up enough that the engine would start. It was not a pretty sight or smell when it finally did take off. I expect the muffler will need replaced before long as I am sure it is probably going to rust through. I found paper work in the coach saying it is a life time warranty muffler so I might have to get Dad to take it in for replacement. Time will tell on that one. Wife and I just took it on a test drive of 4 miles and chassis end of things all seems a go. So now to check over the coach itself to see if there are any issues. The hot water tank has been bypassed and Dad thinks he did that to winterize the system. Not sure about that yet as the knob for the thermostat seems to just spin without doing anything. So I have to connect the pipes back up and see if it hold water before deciding what to do, will also be looking for leaks in the rest of the water system. Just picked up a new vent cover for the frig today. Parts man told me I had to upgrade as what I handed him was not to be found anymore. Looks like I need to work on sealing the roof but I would expect that after this many years. I pulled the fresh water tanks out and sanitized them. I was also looking for entry holes for rodents and did find the seal material that Monaco had used for the grey water tank fill and vent lines had failed. So I packed steel wool around the pipes and then sealed that with silicon. It looked to me like the black tank had never had the pipes sealed so did same with them. Hopefully I have found all the entry holes the mice were using. Need to sit some traps and see if I catch anything or not.

At this point I probably have as much in material cost getting this back running as what it is worth. The tires still need to be replaced and I have know idea about any of the appliances. If I can get away without appliance replacement then I will have roughly $2600.00 into getting this unit back on the road. My labor does not count. I think I am around 125 hours at this point.

As far as getting rid of it hey we just got it so I would guess unless something major happens it will be around here for many years to come. I think it has been a pretty good investment of 125 hours of my time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motor home 008.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	330.5 KB
ID:	94470  
ihc1470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:36 PM   #56
We have a 2002 Damon Intruder that we bought last year with 25k miles and put 4k on it so far. We upgraded the suspension, replaced the carpet with laminate flooring, new tires all the way around, and we're installing solar. With all that I think we'll keep it awhile!
Anyone know a good paint shop in the SF Bay Area to remove the graphics and repaint them?
Toni & Sally
2002 Damon Intruder 375 Ford

2002 Damon Intruder
Thebrightway is online now   Reply With Quote