Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-29-2016, 12:39 PM   #43
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
I camped as a kid always in tents. I was a pre-teen, my Dad and I went to the local Portland RV show in the 80's and I saw the Beaver 40. I was in love with class A's from that moment. After I got married at 32 we bought a trailer. We loved it but after 5 years it was too small for my now family of 4. At 37 we bought our first Class A gas. I kept it until the age of 43 when I found my current DP.

I still go to every RV show, fall and spring and walk through every thing. Now I have my kids with me, which is really fun. The best part is that the salesman never bother us in the class A section because they figure were not serious
I wanted to go to the Portland one, but not having to pay $10 plus what $6-8 to park just for me to go. Not worth it plus I've already got nice rig. They usually don't bring the real high end RV's to that show anyway. Don't bother with the Salem show either although parking is free there and almost anyone can get free tickets.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2016, 02:12 PM   #44

Vintage RV Owners Club
my father hand built a traiker we pulled with a 48 plymouth to Kamloops from Whitecourt in the 60s, car boiled over a lot pullling a heavy wooden trailer on a hand made steel frame and axle. i bought our first 8 ft camper in 83. then a school bus conversion in about 85. then in 89 a 76 23 ft Dodge powered class c. in mid 90s a 76 Chevy Mini Wini 25 ft . sold that when the boys likes turned into girls and cars ,in 2010 we got to a 05 23 ft Travrelair from a repo auction. it burnt in 2014 and we now have a 2003 Kustom Koach 26ft bunk model. which have only used about 12 nights in 2 yrs.. then this yr we bought our first class A. a 90 Lexington 30 ft from a insurance auction..it needed a fuel pump in the tank and a friend offered to buy it as is for our investmemt, then last month we got a 92 Itasca 34 ft diesal pusher needing body work and roof repaired.. so thats our money pit now..its beaitiful inside. runs and drives ok. except on windy days,its white knuckle RV..... oh anyone want to buy a nice low mileage 03 Kustom Coach bunk model.sleeps 8.

Ken & Trudy Vanderburg
Kenvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 02:30 PM   #45
Monaco Owners Club
I watched the Apollo Moon landing in a campground in PA; I was 14. My dad was a Marine, so his 2 sons knew how to 'rough it'. Backpacking in, sleep on the ground, build a fire with a hatchet and knife and flint, open a c-rat with a p-38, etc. He bought a 22' travel trailer in '66, towed behind our '63 Bonneville station wagon, 389, 2bbl, 17 gallon tank. Couldn't go 100 miles on a full tank. And everybody pees at the fuel stops. Bought my first Class A at age 44.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:12 PM   #46
First RV was a travel trailer at age 29.
Bert and Paula
'15 Fleetwood Expedition 38K
'07 Rubicon Unlimited
Wrangler338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:58 PM   #47
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I wanted to go to the Portland one, but not having to pay $10 plus what $6-8 to park just for me to go. Not worth it plus I've already got nice rig. They usually don't bring the real high end RV's to that show anyway. Don't bother with the Salem show either although parking is free there and almost anyone can get free tickets.
Yes, sometimes it seems spendy. For me its my family of 4, adults are buy one get one free and the kids were both free. So its under 20 for us to go. The only thing that makes me mad is the fee for parking! The best at the show seems to be Tiffin, which are very nice.

If you decide to go to the spring show, send me a PM, it would be great to meet up.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:49 AM   #48
67 years old. Started camping with my Aunt & Uncle when I was 7 in 1956. Tent was a surplus Army HQ tent. Bought a slide in PU camper in 1975. Had 5 trailers (2 tongue pulls and 3 - 5ers) until last year and finally bought a Class A.
H n F (USN '69-72)
2009 Newmar Baystar 3202
Jeep Grand Cherokee (Toad for now)
Hunt n Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:41 AM   #49
Like some started out in the scouts. Did a little tent camping with the kids in my early 40's got the first class A at 52.
jim27358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:14 AM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
1963 Fish/Camped with grandparents/parents in a 1963 Cardinal TT. I was 5 YO when they boght it. Used it for the next 8 years. They traded to a Terry TT
1972 Parents bought a new 1972 Class C we used for horse/camping/fishing/hunting in the 70's.
1978 Moved to Alaska and picked up backpacking/fishing/rafting.
2012 1st RV. 43' 5th wheel
2014 1st and current DP
Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:19 PM   #51
I did some tent camping with the scouts back in the 60's, but not a lot. After getting married in the early 80's, we tent camped a little, but then decided to move on up to an RV. So we got a pop up tent trailer and RV'd with that for a while. Then in the late 90's, we moved up to a 19' travel trailer. Then, after I retired a couple of years ago, we got our motorhome. We have just gone full time, and it's now our primary residence.
Mike and Retha Hopkins
2014 Fleetwood Discovery
chindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:46 PM   #52
How old was i

growing up on a island my father worked on the mainland , every summer we towed a camper to the mainland and camped while dad worked.. that stopped when I was ten never camped or had a camper until hubby and I purchased a class A when I was 49. Lol our intention was to go full time this week but cancer struck his bladder so we are getting that out of the way and then.... varooom!.
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:12 PM   #53
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've been camping my entire life. Started in my Dad's old army tent and then moved up through conversion vans, TTs, and then up to Class A gassers.

When I was about 18, we stopped camping in rigs and I returned to tent camping until I met my (now) wife. At that point, we tried camping in the back of my pickup and that was the end of that. Haha.

Fast forward to age 30 (wife 28); we purchased a 2004 Tropi-Cal T370 DP from the original owner and couldn't be happier. My wife gets all of the comforts of home, my kids get Mickey Mouse, and I get to go camping

This has also prompted my parents to start looking for another rig to go camping with us, and that's never a bad thing.
Adam.Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:40 AM   #54
Location: 2004 Country Coach Sienna, 4 slides. Full timer and drifting continually
I was pre teen when we would take vacation trips with dads 68 Ford station wagon pulling a TT using a load equalizer hitch. I don't think the Ford had ac.

My first rv was a Toyota class c for wife and I. I loved owning an rv but work got in the way!

Had 4 old class A's since then. Now I'm single and retired and full time a DP. Still love motor homes! Love the freedom and enjoy "doing stuff" to it.
2004 Country Coach Siena 36', 4 slides. Cummings 350 ISC. Motorcycle on rear carrier. Alone, retired.
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:44 AM   #55
Okay, I’ll bite.

My first time camping was at Devils Lake in Wisconsin, I was one or two. According to my older brother, that night it rained so my mother laid a tarp over a picnic table and we slept underneath. My dad stayed home, after WWII he refused to ever sleep on the ground again. Fortunately, my mom grew up on an Idaho potato farm and enjoyed camping.

I used to do a lot of camping sans tent, why bother putting one up if no rain was expected. As I grew older I had a number of vans that I’d sleep in when I traveled. My first “camper” was a used popup that I purchased in 2005, mainly to accommodate my late wife. I had the popup for a year and then, when my wife developed health issues (cancer), I sold it.

Since July 2013 I’ve lived and traveled full-time in a 33’ Class A Holiday Rambler. I suppose some folks call what I do camping, I don’t. However, I did recently take a two month camping trip traveling from southeast Arizona to northwest Canada and Alaska and back in my Dodge Caravan that I’d set up as a stealthy Class B camper. It was a memorable and fun trip.

That’s about it. I’m hoping to do some back packing in the Rockies this coming year. A good thick Therma-rest pad helps but being 69 can make for stiff and achy mornings. However, with some of the beautiful places available it’s worth it. After all no pain no gain LOL!

Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:12 AM   #56
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As kids we camped with our parents in a pop-up. Earliest I remember was around 5 (1950s). When I left home I camped in tents. Did a lot of canoe and bike camping, along with backpacking most of my adult life. My wife and I were mostly tent campers up to about seven years ago. Bought our first camper van (a B) and used it to figure out what we really wanted and bought our current C.

Now we use it for traveling and camping. We sometimes use it as a base camp for canoe camping and motorcycle touring. Will find a nice spot and then take the canoe or kayaks with our backpacking tents for some overnights. Nice to be camped on some remote island watching the bears on the shore once in a while and at other times nice to be comfortable in your own queen sized bed listening to the owls and the loons with your own bathroom a few steps away without having to dig a hole. The furnace also comes in handy in the spring and the fall.

2006 Fleetwood Tioga 26Q
Toads: '15 Ford Focus, '10 Harley Softail Custom and '15 Harley Softail Deluxe
Upstate (the other) New York
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote