Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2017, 10:21 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
How soon before WE have to do ELD ?!?

Well the door has been opened for the trucking industry
https://www.google.com/search?q=e+lo...w=1696&bih=817

I don't think the logging will happen anytime soon for RV's, but electronic logging MAY been put into new rv's just like the black boxes have been on autos....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2017, 10:41 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Since we aren’t commercial drivers with hours of service hard rules I doubt the expense would go into a MH The company I worked for has been using computer logging for years .. In fact it was my time clock and kept track of on road time vs sitting time notifying me of how many hours / minutes was left before I had to park .. it also logged speed braking and position ( dispatch had my truck icon on a tv screen of the NW ) I don’t think rv’s need that much attention but a black box event recorder .. maybe.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:47 AM   #3

If enough accidents are being caused by driver fatigue it could be in every vehicle, not just for truckers and RV operators. Just how soon is ultimately up to us.

If everyone had the smarts to pull over and take an occasional break or kept honest paper work when required this wouldn't be needed. This is being implemented because of the few who think regulations don't apply to them and so they look for ways to circumvent them. This makes it a little more difficult.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:15 AM   #4

With even the licensing of RV drivers being all over the board, I sincerely doubt you will see any sort of Electronic Logging on RV's. Some states have no separate licensing requirements for RV drivers and some have full testing. Until such time as their is even consistent licensing from state to state I think it will be a stretch to look for much regulation any time soon.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:12 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Logging of what?

Until "crew rest" becomes a matter of law for drivers who are not engaged in commerce, there is nothing to record.

BTW, your modern ECM equipped vehicle is already recording what you do in the vehicle. I submit, this will be the first thing we will see to be called into evidence by authorities and insurance underwriters in efforts to place fault and deny paying benefits...tick, tick, tick.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:39 PM   #6

Foretravel Owners Club
As for the uniform licensing of RV drivers, and/or requiring "in depth" physicals for RV driving privileges .. Won't be happening any time soon, Oregon had a bill for an RV licensing of RV drivers over 12,000 lbs gross wt, then while in committee review they amended it to 26,000 lbs gross wt.. As soon as the legislators realized that it would encompass them and their RV's as well, the whole thing suddenly was dropped while in committee..
As a side note .... The CDL license is a Federal commercial drivers license administered by the various states..That is the reason that the CDL's are for the most part uniform state to state.
I really doubt that any attempt to regulate the RV drivers as to physical well being or number of hours they may drive would gain any traction among the various state legislatures or even at the Fed level.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:40 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
With self driving vehicles on the near horizon, I don't think logging non commercial drivers is on anyone's agenda.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:49 PM   #8

Big Brother will take care of us no doubt.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Logging of what?

Until "crew rest" becomes a matter of law for drivers who are not engaged in commerce, there is nothing to record.

BTW, your modern ECM equipped vehicle is already recording what you do in the vehicle. I submit, this will be the first thing we will see to be called into evidence by authorities and insurance underwriters in efforts to place fault and deny paying benefits...tick, tick, tick.

Safe travels
Don't forget to remind the friendly LEO's that they'll need a warrant to access that information though.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:42 AM   #10

No issue for the folks wondering "where we will not hurry to next".
Maybe an issue for the folks stretching toward "a bridge too far".
If the Journey is your destination, the only concern is not a concern.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:28 AM   #11

Smile CDL's and Motorhome

My wife and I drove for Schneider National Carriers as a team after I retired. After we tired of the nonsense in trucking we quit but have always kept our CDL's current, except for the annual medical exam. GA, our home state, allows this. We soon got into RV'ing and are now on our third, finally a diesel pusher with 45000 lbs. GCVWR allowance. I cannot imagine someone getting into a rig like this with no experience driving something diesel, air brakes, etc. We keep the CDL's mostly out of belief that a state we eventually live in may require the CDL for a motorhome over a certain GVWR Or GCVWR. We would not be against such a law. Far too many people may be on the roads already without the experience or common sense to handle rigs this big.

As one of the frequent posters on another BB I frequented used to say, "That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it!"
xbigblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:24 PM   #12

ELD violations only go against your DOT licenses. As a private RV operator, DOT violations would have no effect if you don't operate under a DOT number. Say if you accumulate too many points on your DOT file, then shippers are not suppose to use your truck for hauling freight. As a private RV operator, who would care if you can't haul freight? ELD citations are not practical for the private sector as currently written.
As earlier mentioned vehicles already record driving history. I took my 06 Chevy to a dealer for some work and the mechanic had great pleasure informing me that my last 300 mile trip I had only averaged 50.2 MPH.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:42 AM   #13

computers

Class 7 and 8 engine computers log speed ,time milage in the event of a sudden brake application or crash While a fleet manager at a trucking company watched state police download info about a crash with a fatality.Found driver was lying about speed and braking[he didn't]Its probubly in the computer already.
ronster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:38 AM   #14

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I took my 06 Chevy to a dealer for some work and the mechanic had great pleasure informing me that my last 300 mile trip I had only averaged 50.2 MPH.
If you really want to screw with that mechanic's mind... Use the '06 for a toad.... and leave it in neutral with the engine at an idle while heading cross country....The speedo will still be registering mileage...I definitely got a [moderator edit] comment from Toyota on our toad....6500 miles with 3 fill ups....(26 gal) (only way I've found to work around the 55 mph limit and having to stop every 200 miles and let it idle for 5 minutes)
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote