Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
DanielB asked this question:
"If you already blown the water out of the pipes pls tell why you would put the red stuff in (air won't freeze). And then you have to rinse the pipes in the spring. Is there something I'm missing?? "
Like others have said before me, I do this to be doubly sure I have no problems over the winter. Temperatures of 20 below 0F happen here and I've experienced a burst waterline in a house that lost heat. I never want that to happen in the RV!

I use the air compressor to blow out as much water as I can - that way when I add the RV Antifreeze and start pumping it through the RV plumbing, there is only a small amount of water to dilute the antifreeze. I would think that would give me better cold weather protection. I get full strength antifreezein the pump, traps, lines, faucets and valves. So far, this has worked for me. The 2 gallons of pink stuff cost me $6/year but the peace of mind is priceless!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #16
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have blow out on all my RVs and boats for over 30 years. Never had a problem freezing. What little moisture that may remain has room to expand without cracking any pipes. Just follow the steps previously laid out.

When you are done go back and open all the faucets and low drain. Leave them open and don't forget the wash down in the dump compartment. I always forget to close it when I star it back up in the spring. Good thing about blowing it out is that it takes little effort and if you take a winter trip there is no need to flush out the red stuff. Just us it for the drains and toilet.

I made my own and added an adjustable regulator valve and pressure gauge. I added these in case I left my compressor set for impact tools. Made that mistake once with a paint gun so I wanted to avoid the same thing with my RVs.

Good luck!

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:58 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
I have always used the blow out method on previous coaches. My new coach has the tube to fill the antifreeze through the pump. However, I now have an ice maker and washer connection that I have not had before. Compound that with the fact that I cannot find the water heater bypass and I am not sure how to handle this new coach. I guess I will spend some quality time with that suitcase full of materials Winnebago provides and find out how to winterize with all of these new conveniences. In Texas, I should have at least another month to a month and a half before I have to worry about it.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
I've been blowing out my Winnebago Brave for 9 years now, I hate the taste of the pink stuff, and the bother of rinsing it all out in the spring. just open the low points, and all the inside valves, then close all the inside valves, and blow out through the low points. Just don't forget the washer/dryer, if you have one, and the icemaker, again, if you have one. also, don't forget the water filter, if so equiped, (my Brother-in-law did that one) I leave it sit for a few weeks with all the lines open, then close it all up so as not to invite any bugs, the bacterial type that is. K.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeauchamp View Post
If you already blown the water out of the pipes pls tell why you would put the red stuff in (air won't freeze). And then you have to rinse the pipes in the spring. Is there something I'm missing??
Because just blowing out the lines doesn't get all the water out as the air just blows through the water. Water then pools in the low points and will freeze. Putting the anti-freeze in displaces the water.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I love these "blow the lines out" posts just before winter!!

Next spring we'll see a bunch of posts about how their system froze and how do I repair the lines!!

Lots of people do it right with no problem, each year some people find they don't know!!

I always use the pink stuff and have NEVER had a frozen pipe.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #21

And I've not used any pink stuff winterizing my RV since 1992, never had a frozen pipe either. My weather goes down to -40 up here. I hate to disagree with you Mr. D. but I think using pink stuff inside the water pipes is a waste of your fuel money. Pink stuff is for P-traps. However, if it makes you feel better to use it, I respect that.
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:09 PM   #22
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've blown outlines as far back as 1982 beforevit was popular. Never had a problem and never had to purge the pink stuff. Put it in the drain where it belongs. You have to empy everything but I like having to purge the air. Much faster than the pink stuff. Two of my units I purchased in the spring and I hated pueging the stuff from the dealer.

JMHO...

Old 10-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #23

Well, here in SW Florida we just clean the screens so we can see out of the windows since it's in the 70's most of the winter. What ya talkin about all this red stuff and freezing?
Old 10-28-2011, 08:40 AM   #24

I also winterize in late Oct (yesterday), will head for FL in Dec (de-winterize in southern IL) return in March (winterize in So.IL) for the balance of the winter.

I drain all tanks and system .. remove water filter -- don't have hot water heater (Aquahot) but if I did, I'd just drain that - leave drain plug out, bypass ... .. - for peace of mind I put in 5-6 gallons with transfer pump into fresh water tank ... put thru entire system - all faucets, icemaker,showers,washer, into grey and black tanks....all traps are then taken care of also..
Have complete comfort even when we stay at below 0 for several days at a time.... Well worth the $15 of antifreeze twice a year
Old 10-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Camping World (And others) sell a hand pump that fits on top of a bottle of PINK STUFF, and has a garden hose "outlet" which you can use to pump in Pink Stuff via the city water inlet.. That said.. Why spend all that money on pink, even if it is cheap.

I have a portable air compressor ... I set the regulator to like 50 pounds, hook up a blow out adapter (Same source as the hand pump) and open all valves. Then I cycle the ice maker a couple of times (Valves open, no air) to let the solenoid drain back,,, Then I close the supply valve to the ice maker and start my blow cycle.. BLOW , Till the pressure in teh 2-gallon air tank on teh compressor drops to like 40 pounds.. Then pause till the pump takes it back up to 160,, or perhaps a bit longer,, Then do it again, and again, and again and again.

This pattern lets water that has adheared to the lines drip down and pool so it will blow out.

Eventually it stops spitting at me.. Close all valves, dump pink in drains and toilets, and you are done.

If the air in the lines ever freezes..... You won't have anything to worry about save "Heaven or ... That other place" and as you know (From the old joke) If you go to Heaven no worries, if you go to ... that other place... You will be so busy shaking hands with all your friends who preecedced you that you won't have time to worrry... So why worry.

(Sorry could not resist the old joke)
Old 10-30-2011, 04:07 PM   #26

winterizing MH

There is a kit to put on your pump so you dont have to put antifreeze in you tank! ck CW

PUMP CONVERTOR KIT, 12$ and they sell a fitting with a tire valve to blow out lines
Old 10-31-2011, 12:52 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I finished winterizing and put her to sleep this weekend. I was 'this close' to juwst blowing her out and calling it good.

And then I bought 5 gallons of the hated pink stuff.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:10 PM   #28
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Came back this weekend to 8 inches of snow. Heater is set to 45deg and will blow out and drain tomorrow. Have a trip to the outer banks in November and done want to purge any pink stuff. Will blow out again when we return. Takes 10 minutes.

Great if you take late season trips.

Here it to hoping no one has any broken pipes in the spring... Good luck to all!