Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2016, 10:29 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Good news, insurance companies do cover our Mistakes. Tell the truth and they will handle it from there. Progressive has been great to work with. Have had 2 claims with them and everything was done to our satisfaction!

Also, as a firefighter I have seen some real stupid things covered.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2016, 10:48 AM   #16

How to file a claim with Progressive and not get shafted

I have had one claim with Progressive in Miami and the adjusters were thoroughly incompetent. I had just renewed the policy so they had to "investigate". Here is the date the policy started, here is the date on the police accident report. Investigate what?

Then they tried to reduce the payout by claiming more miles than were on the odometer and by asserting that some of the collision damage was pre-existing. When I questioned their assessment in writing, they never responded and instead had a tow truck attempt to deliver the "totaled" vehicle back to me (i.e. Let's just forget that you have a policy). Not a respectable company by any means. It goes on from there, but you get the idea. I should have engaged the attorney on day one.

As the lawyer's ad says, the insurance company was not "on my side" and I was not "in good hands".

Given the amount, paying it out of pocket may be the best bet since Progressive or another company will get the money back from you in higher premiums.

Tip: If anyone asks "May we record this instead of filling out a paper report?" (i.e. for our convenience) the answer is "No, let's do it on paper so everyone has a copy".

Old 03-29-2016, 10:52 AM   #17

I hit a tree branch with my Class A - $3000.00 damage. Progressive was EXCELLENT! Could not possibly have been treated any better. In fact - the dealer was dragging it's feet to fix it - all kinds of parts delays (supposedly) The Progressive agent helped speed up the process. Yes my rate did go up some - as I expected - but based on how they handled my claim I will stick with them. I was totally truthful - my fault - the branch did not jump out in front of me LOL I thought I had clearance.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:36 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I hope he doesn't come up with a creative story now....after posting on a National Forum.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinboise View Post
Long story short is I hit a branch pretty hard which cracked the upper corner of my C Class and while on the way home a section tore off. It is looking to be about $2K to fix correctly. I just thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone has any suggestions on how to position this with Progressive. I have never had a claim with Progressive, I just bought this motorhome 3 weeks ago and I am somewhat new customer of Progressive.

Thanks in advanced for any strategy/suggestions.

Pc

I have attached before, during and after pics.

Ha ha. I got you beat. About a mount ago I bought a new Chevy 2500 diesel. Coming out of Montana I hit a small bear at about 75 mph. $2k in right front bumper/fender damage. The kicker was I had the truck less than 12 hrs. :-(((
Mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzbrandi View Post
Ha ha. I got you beat. About a mount ago I bought a new Chevy 2500 diesel. Coming out of Montana I hit a small bear at about 75 mph. $2k in right front bumper/fender damage. The kicker was I had the truck less than 12 hrs. :-(((

Oh, and I have Progressive insurance with no issue.
Mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:11 PM   #21

I would say that if you dont think your insurance company is going to be fair with you, you have the wrong insurance.
PJStough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
I would say that if you dont think your insurance company is going to be fair with you, you have the wrong insurance.
X2....there is another thread about people shopping for the lowest price and changing Insurance companies every time they can save a few bucks. Then you have this kind of issue where you've only been with the Insurance Company for a short time, with no long term history, and then worry about filing a claim. And then I didn't pick up on it until others mentioned that there may be more to the story as to why he is worried how to file the claim. That is not a good way to start out with a new Insurance Company. Although no insurance companies have been able to beat the rates for the coverage I'm getting for the last 40+ years, I don't think I would change to save a few bucks anyway. At least if I ever had to file a claim they wouldn't second guess it, and I wouldn't worry about filing one.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:31 PM   #23

I'm still trying to figure out how that damage could result from hitting a tree branch ? In the first picture the corner molding appears to be totally undamaged. Unless you had a big delamination bubble up there in the fiberglass, I don't see how the side could get torn like that from hitting a tree branch, since the edges of that side piece should be, or should have been, under that molding.
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:44 PM   #24

They just payed out $7,000 for my blow out don't know if my premiums will go up yet. They were supper nice and made things simple.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:35 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
X2....there is another thread about people shopping for the lowest price and changing Insurance companies every time they can save a few bucks. Then you have this kind of issue where you've only been with the Insurance Company for a short time, with no long term history, and then worry about filing a claim. And then I didn't pick up on it until others mentioned that there may be more to the story as to why he is worried how to file the claim. That is not a good way to start out with a new Insurance Company. Although no insurance companies have been able to beat the rates for the coverage I'm getting for the last 40+ years, I don't think I would change to save a few bucks anyway. At least if I ever had to file a claim they wouldn't second guess it, and I wouldn't worry about filing one.

Your coverage doesn't change whether it's the first day or any other day of the policy coverage. Accidents, by their very nature can happen anytime. If an insurance company starts to question me about it being "suspicious" that the problem occurred so soon after the coverage started, assuming it's not for a windshield or such, my question to them is whether they are attempting to deny coverage based on when my accident occurred in the coverage period. Depending on their answer, a call to the local State Insurance Commissioner may be in order. The are generally VERY HELPFUL! Bottom line, If you have a boo boo, notify your insurance company ASAP, be totally honest with them, document everything, and give them the opportunity to be straight forward with you. If they aren't then that's where your documentation comes in.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:16 AM   #26

The lesson learned here is: If possible, take a picture of the accident scene before moving the vehicle. A few leaves stuck in the rain gutter with the tree limb draped on the motorhome explains a lot.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:24 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how that damage could result from hitting a tree branch ? In the first picture the corner molding appears to be totally undamaged. Unless you had a big delamination bubble up there in the fiberglass, I don't see how the side could get torn like that from hitting a tree branch, since the edges of that side piece should be, or should have been, under that molding.
FWIW I would guess that the branch cause the Filon or whatever sheet to buckle thus popping an edge above the trim piece. Then he hit the highway and air pressure under the sheet did the rest. He may or may not have heard it flap a bit before it bent enough to be caught and snapped back. Duck tape over the exposed edge and around the trim could have prevented it. Remove and replace the trim might have solved it when it was done.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:32 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

I'll agree with the others - be upfront and don't lie.

If you do have any existing damage in that area, not related to the accident, that will complicate the claim a bit, but "positioning" somehow isn't going to change anything. It's going to be obvious to the adjuster if there is existing delamination or other non-accident damage there.

I would have a competent RV repair shop prepare an estimate and let them work with the adjuster on the details.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote